Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 15th November 2006, 07:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default GM says Buick will take 40% sales of ACURA/Lexus

GM has really gone over the head this time.

They have cliamed that the New GM groups car. The Buick Enclave will take back 40% of market from Lexus and Acura. The main strength is going to be the new SOundproofing technology.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...C10-Motoring-3

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...15/1004/news03

The car in Question
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 09:17   #2
BHPian

wow so they copy bits of the lexus RX and then the acura mdx/rdx and thing everyone will chosee the hybrid gm???
good luck with that GM!!
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 09:21   #3
BHPian

What ever, Enclave looks great..
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 09:31   #4
BHPian

Over the years american car companies have done well with reliability and performance but Japs have always kept the edge. The designs of the new american cars have started to look cool but so are Japs and German cars. There is loyal base of american car buyers and then some "independent" buyers might switch to non-jap&german cars for VFM. Anyway Enclave look good and only time will tell how pamphered american car buyers react!
Master530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 01:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I believe that The Big three will hit back in the coming years. According to my analysis.

The North American market has been biggest in the previous years. This led to the Big three becoming the behemoths they are now. DUe to absence of any competition they never really improved and innovated.

With the onslaught of the Japanese with reduced costs and better fuel Efficiency it was obvious that the shift of the mixed North American population will be a big blow.

THe big three realized this too late. But as the saying goes "Der se aaye par durast aaye"

THeir new models seem promising. The biggest risk is that ford is under big losses and chrysler may also loose DIamler Benz's hand, GM too is not earning enough.

THe best thing to do will be to wait and wathch how THe Enclave performs.
Old 16th November 2006, 02:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Toyota will become the largest automaker and ford, GM might have to merge to fight back and drop lables from their lineup which are redundant, you dont have to keep a lable just to rebadge and sell, its the age of the internet and ppl are becoming more and more aware of these things. I think they need to do a big big shake down, I would suspect either Ford+GM team come up or Ford+Nissan / GM+Nissan with Carlos doing his magic...this is the only way, else you will see Japs dominating in the top even though Ford/GM might recover a little but wouldnt be the same as before..
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 07:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Dev, I'd go more with @1Day's views on the Big 3 being able to come anywhere close the Japanese. The reasons they became organizational behemoths will haunt them for years to come. They will not be able to change things like benefits payouts to employees & ex-employees for a long time, and till such time effects of such previous decisions subside, it is going to be very very difficult for them to have margins to work with and have an edge.

I havent yet gone through the articles, but the titles are surprising considering that just a couple of years back, they were talking of putting either the Buick or the Pontiac marquee going on to the block.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 14:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

6000 units already spoken for. they have capacity to build on 3000 at the moment.

Buick dealers clamoring for Enclave before they go on sale - Autoblog

and even Acadia is outselling their outlook by 2 to 1. Gm as analysts said before 2006 is back on track and ford should be back by 2008. But chryslers future is in shambles.

What say?
Old 19th March 2012, 02:50   #9
BHPian

Default Re: GM says Buick will take 40% sales of ACURA/Lexus

A look back at how the market has looked for the Buick Enclave, Acura MDX, Lexus RX, and Audi Q7 (thrown in just for fun).

Buick Enclave has consistently shown more unit sales in each year from its beginning in 2007 through 2011, contrary to its competitors who have actually sold declining number of units.

I think we can conclude in all fairness that the Enclave has managed to grab a meaty piece of the pie.

The vehicle drives extremely well, in my own experience. The ride quality is superb, and as quiet, if not more, than the Lexus RX.

The numbers are: (Model : 2007 Sales : 2011 Sales)::
Buick Enclave :: 29,286 :: 58,392
Acura MDX :: 58,606 :: 43,271
Lexus RX :: 103,340 :: 82,595
Audi Q7 :: 20,695 :: 8998

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 19th March 2012 at 02:52. Reason: Table format
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 11:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

But we require full numbers to discuss this in detail.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:28   #11
BHPian

Interesting numbers. Not quite the 40 percent they promised but still good.

More pertinently it also reflects the power of the internet and the perils of bean counters taking over. Toyota, Mercedes and various other companies faced this with engineering taking a back seat and it now reflects in how it has affected quality and thus sales.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 15:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Toyota will become the largest automaker and ford, GM might have to merge to fight back and drop lables from their lineup which are redundant, you dont have to keep a lable just to rebadge and sell, its the age of the internet and ppl are becoming more and more aware of these things. I think they need to do a big big shake down, I would suspect either Ford+GM team come up or Ford+Nissan / GM+Nissan with Carlos doing his magic...this is the only way, else you will see Japs dominating in the top even though Ford/GM might recover a little but wouldnt be the same as before..
I dont see Ford and GM teaming up.They have always been rivals and will continue to do so.Toyota took the number one spot from GM and has now lost it so it will continuously be a cat and mouse game! Ford and GM have shown that they are ready to change.It will be exciting to watch how these car makers fight it out , but i guess the customer will win this time!.
rambo1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 01:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Interesting numbers. Not quite the 40 percent they promised but still good.

More pertinently it also reflects the power of the internet and the perils of bean counters taking over. Toyota, Mercedes and various other companies faced this with engineering taking a back seat and it now reflects in how it has affected quality and thus sales.
Bean counters or not, Mercedes still has bad quality (and always has had since time immemorial) In any case, facts do indicate to Buick Enclave's success in the American SUV/crossover market.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote