Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 1st December 2006, 10:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

With the Lexus ES just like the BMW prices will shoot up above the $35 k mark,The Toyota avalon is worth a consideration[aah78 already talked about maintainance costs].

Ps: Team-bhp choice seems to be quite varied right now .

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 1st December 2006 at 10:30.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 11:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a ton guys

@heelntoe: he is an auto enthusiast but not the one who would give much importance to details like the valves per enine & Vtec & blah blah. He wants a fast car which is smooth to drive doesn t matter if it achieves through 5 valves or just 2 or Vtec or VGIS.

@sahil: I wouldnt suggest him a C as one of my friend in US is regretting buying it, his concerns being high spare part prices once warranty is over + low resale value. Same goes for any other german car. (My same friend's Boss's BMW had got everything from steering wheel to engine replaced under warranty within 2-3 years of ownership)

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st December 2006 at 12:02.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 12:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

To add to that from what I have heard Mercedes is the most unreliable luxury brand at the moment.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:47   #34
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
To add to that from what I have heard Mercedes is the most unreliable luxury brand at the moment.
i disagree guys .. as far as mercedes quality is concerned..

as a car designer i go through market analysis every 4 months and amongst all the high end brands, mercedes still tops the chart with audi coming in a close second.. please refer j.d.power reviews for more details.

and as far as the spares go .. its a high end luxury car. the spares are high quality and hence the price.. if some one buys a benz. he should frankly not be too worried about the price of parts.

some defects are always expected as all cars are mass produced . .
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 13:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Just a not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
i disagree guys .. as far as mercedes quality is concerned..

as a car designer i go through market analysis every 4 months and amongst all the high end brands, mercedes still tops the chart with audi coming in a close second.. please refer j.d.power reviews for more details.

and as far as the spares go .. its a high end luxury car. the spares are high quality and hence the price.. if some one buys a benz. he should frankly not be too worried about the price of parts.

some defects are always expected as all cars are mass produced . .
48000/- for a sidemirror for an Eclass is not reasonable amount JRD , whatever the reason may be . With that money u can buy a second hand maruti and some of the Mercs owners arent very happy about their cars service/maintenance .

And you know what the funny part is ? Reading the title of the thread I had three cars in my mind Contessa, Amby , Fiat ....and guess what I see instead ? G35,c45,Mig29?????......oh my god , can someone buy such things for 35K ? .........next time atleast make the title clear , 35k a space and a small '$' would have been more appropriate..like 35K $
maxbhp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 14:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Source:

CNN

The best resale value cars:

Acura/Honda

Source:

Again CNN
Old 1st December 2006, 14:49   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok guys lets not get into brands bashing or anything. All I am saying is that the Germans are out of consideration, Simple

@MODs: Thanks for modifying the title
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 16:22   #38
fb1
BHPian

how bout an EVO 9 ?? or a Mazda RX8
fb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how bout an EVO 9 ?? or a Mazda RX8
U got no idea about American Insurance companies,bro!
They freak out when they hear the word 'EVO' or 'WRX'!
They SHUD!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 19:58   #40
BHPian

which is why i suggested a mazda speed6. almost as fun without the high insurance.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 22:41   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How about if he sticks to his Galant for an additional year or two.....ups his budget and picks up a 'Vette? Now that would really be something.

I did something similar with my D Segmenter. Was going to pick up the Accord and then decided to wait, increase the budget and go for the Merc.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 04:53   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

@sahil: I wouldnt suggest him a C as one of my friend in US is regretting buying it, his concerns being high spare part prices once warranty is over + low resale value. Same goes for any other german car. (My same friend's Boss's BMW had got everything from steering wheel to engine replaced under warranty within 2-3 years of ownership)
I am suggesting the new C. The current one has been problematic, you can't really judge the new one based on the current one.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 00:51   #43
BHPian

I'd check out Saab 9-3 and Volvo S40 also. They are both very attractive cars and the S40 has an AWD version.
tsxei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 21:54   #44
BHPian

Default good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil_singal View Post
The best is buy a mustang GT for 22k $ and get it little sooped up like rims,tints and sound 10k $ and also can even save some money out of 35k $ and spend it on fuel and burn rubber every day...
I like your line of thought man.
souped up GT parked besides a Stock C class. or 3 series.
what will be noticeable first. you decide.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote