Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 7th December 2006, 16:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default S420 CDI launched

New diesel variant with V8 power: The S 420 CDI flagship diesel model makes its debut with 235 kW/320 hp and 730 Nm of torque

Stuttgart, Dec 06, 2006
Mercedes-Benz is extending its S-Class range with another diesel variant, the S 420 CDI. The new eight-cylinder model is powered by a state-of-the-art V8 CDI engine developing 235 kW/320 hp and 730 newton metres of peak torque. This latest addition to the model line-up means that the luxury saloon range from Mercedes-Benz now encompasses two diesel engines, six petrol models and two body variants, along with the new 4MATIC all-wheel-drive system. The new S 420 CDI is available to order now, with deliveries to customers due to start in December 2006. The short-wheelbase model is priced at 84,448 (net price 72,800) and the long-wheelbase version at 92,104 (net price 79,400).

The new V8 model's strengths are effortlessly superior performance combined with moderate fuel consumption. The S 420 CDI powers from 0 - 100 km/h in 6.6 seconds and goes on to reach 250 km/h (electronically governed), all while returning fuel consumption figures below the magic ten litre threshold, burning just 9.4 to 9.6 litres of diesel per 100 kilometres on the NEDC cycle. With a fuel tank capacity of 90 litres, this equates to ranges approaching the 1000 kilometre mark.

Such impressive figures are down to the highly advanced eight-cylinder turbodiesel engine under the bonnet: from its 3996 cc displacement, the CDI unit with four-valve-per-cylinder technology delivers a maximum output of 235 kW/320 hp at 3600 rpm and a peak torque of 730 newton metres, which is on tap from 2000 rpm. Third-generation common-rail high-pressure injection technology with a maximum injection pressure of 1600 bar and an ignition pressure of 175 bar ensures efficient combustion. Optimised flow dynamics for the best possible gas cycle and twin turbochargers with variable-nozzle turbines promise high power and torque delivery. As many as five injections of diesel fuel per injection cycle, special orifice nozzles, piezoelectric injectors and highly effective exhaust gas recirculation all help to lower emissions significantly. The new V8 powerplant is equipped as standard with a maintenance-free diesel particulate filter to cut untreated emissions even further, and also complies with the EU4 emissions standard. The engine development team was able to reduce noise levels by optimising the chain drive and fitting a rigid crankcase with large engine bearings as well as extra acoustic covers. The square bore-to-stroke ratio combines with a counter-rotating balancer shaft for outstandingly smooth operation.

Power transmission in the S 420 CDI is handled by the standard-fitted 7G-TRONIC automatic transmission with a DIRECT SELECT lever on the steering column, plus steering-wheel gearshift buttons. Not only does this combination guarantee that the tremendous reserves of power and torque are harnessed to optimum effect, the seven-speed automatic transmission's wide ratio spread is also perfect for motoring at low rev speeds ideal for quiet, fuel-efficient travel. The top-of-the-range S-Class diesel model comes as standard with AIRMATIC air suspension including the Adaptive Damping System (ADS) and an all-round self-levelling function, while the latest-generation Active Body Control (ABC) can be specified as an option.

Source: media.daimlerchrysler.com
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 19:03   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Drove a couple of CDI S-Class' in Europe...and heres the thought I walked away with. CDI is fast, FE, torquey and overall just rocks.

Butttttttttttttttt only for the C and the E Class. For a car as majestic as the S Class, the noise and clutter simply dont match its persona. An S has to be a petrol.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 19:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Drove a couple of CDI S-Class' in Europe...and heres the thought I walked away with. CDI is fast, FE, torquey and overall just rocks.

Butttttttttttttttt only for the C and the E Class. For a car as majestic as the S Class, the noise and clutter simply dont match its persona. An S has to be a petrol.
I thought Mercedes made one of the most refined Diesels in the world.
The S420CDI is like a diesel S600.

Quote:
The engine development team was able to reduce noise levels by optimising the chain drive and fitting a rigid crankcase with large engine bearings as well as extra acoustic covers. The square bore-to-stroke ratio combines with a counter-rotating balancer shaft for outstandingly smooth operation.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 19:20   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sure, Merc CDIs are amongst the most refined diesels in the world. But that does not mean they are as refined as petrols.

Have you driven a diesel S Class?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 20:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have you driven a diesel S Class?
NO.thats why i said "I thought".
Old 8th December 2006, 00:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

I've driven S-class CDI & I founded it more quite & less vibrative than E or C-.class

In some Europian countries diesel luxury cars is having a big market. Thats why all the major marques have thier diesel version in their high-end models. Audi has V6 & V8 diesel in their A8 and BMW has V6 diesel in 7-series.

One more thing, diesel is less hazardest to enviorment than the petrol. Any way petrol engines has the real power. What ever, Merc's diesel is the finest among the diesel engines in the world

Last edited by hanmust : 8th December 2006 at 00:31.
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 01:01   #7
BHPian

sure diesels belong in an s-class, but those are the taxi versions, the real s classes come with either a V8 or a V12 that are super quiet and super-smooth with more than enough power.

@hanmust, yes there is a big market for diesel luxury cars in europe which is why lexus is not selling that well.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 02:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

4L V8,320HP,730Nm torqure,that meets the criteria.
Old 8th December 2006, 05:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Cool...I have no prob with it, I wouldnt buy one..

but diesel's are coming back in a big way...

you will soon se a Lambo Gallardo Diesel...
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 02:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
4L V8,320HP,730Nm torqure,that meets the criteria.
right, i forgot to mention petrol.
i certainly would'nt refuse it if it was offered to me, an S-class is an S-class afterall.
as long as AMG's dont start using diesels(yes, i am aware that a C-class diesel was offered) i'm fine with it.
heelntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 07:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
New diesel variant with V8 power: The S 420 CDI flagship diesel model makes its debut with 235 kW/320 hp and 730 Nm of torque
Thats supercar Torque! Just imagine the kick from that engine - WOW!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote