Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2006, 21:31   #1
BHPian
 
pawan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: auckland, new zealand
Posts: 867
Thanked: 2 Times
Default 4,703 Mazda's: Scraped

Quote:
Mazda just announced that it has decided to scrap all 4,703 vehicles that were aboard the Cougar Ace cargo vessel when it nearly capsized off the Aleutian Islands in Alaska back in late July. The shipping vessel sat listing to one side for over a month before it was towed to and repaired at a port in Oregon. During that time, the vehicles on board, comprised of the Mazda3 small car and CX-7 crossover, were tied down at severe angles. Mazda had previously told us it would inspect all the vehicles and sell most as used with full disclosure, considering that many showed little or no signs of damage. Regardless, Mazda reconsidered and the announcement that the entire shipment would be scrapped came today from Jim O'Sullivan, Mazda North America's President and CEO.

The decision not to sell any of the vehicles that were aboard the Cougar Ace must have been difficult to make, considering that we estimate the hull of the ship contained over $103 million worth of vehicles (60 percent of the vehicles on board were the more expensive CX-7, so we assumed a conservate per unit average MSRP of $22,000). Not that we're criticizing Mazda for scrapping the entire shipment, but the destruction of 4,703 vehicles, at least some if not most of which are salveagable, seems like a waste. We're sure there are plenty of non-profit organizations and charities that would be grateful to take these vehicles off of Mazda's hands.





The total bodycount:
2,475----Mazda3s
329----Mazda3 five-doors
56----Mazda5s
1,329----CX-7s
214----RX-8s
5----MazdaSpeed6s
295----Miatas.

Here is some pictures of the ship

http://www.bymnews.com/photos/thumbn...bum=110&page=1

And a quick video of the rescue operation 0:32 seconds



daam hope could at least use the parts.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 22:12   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Avon, CT
Posts: 7,101
Thanked: 1,572 Times
Default

For companies supplying developed markets, such actions are cheaper to justify than the multibillion dollar lawsuits they might otherwise have paid to customers
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2006, 23:07   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,965
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

And guess what Hyundai decided to do with the cars at the Chennai port after the Tsunami totaled them.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 08:11   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore / Atlanta
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
And guess what Hyundai decided to do with the cars at the Chennai port after the Tsunami totaled them.

Gave them to the Chennai cops

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 08:24   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Thats sad, 4000+ odd vehicles , What I dont understand is why dont they keep it for an auction or so ?
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 08:56   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore / Atlanta
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Come on guys..These companies will have shipping insurance... The insurance would have covered the whole lot..maybe thats why they decided to scrap the cars....


Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 09:07   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Come on guys..These companies will have shipping insurance... The insurance would have covered the whole lot..maybe thats why they decided to scrap the cars....


Godfather
Ha..ha....thats Understood God father , but if they are sure of minor damages , why not put it up for auction so that they get a better margin. Not that I dont respect their decision .
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 09:22   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore / Atlanta
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Ha..ha....thats Understood God father , but if they are sure of minor damages , why not put it up for auction so that they get a better margin. Not that I dont respect their decision .

Max... will you buy a vehicle thats been lying on a wrecked ship for over 6 months..Not to mention the saltwater effects... I would not... Its not feasable for the company also...Mazda is among the big players of the automotive world... They will not jeopordise their name by selling these cars even at less than half the price and spoil the reputation it already has...

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 16:40   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
Quote:
Mazda just announced that it has decided to scrap all 4,703 vehicles that were aboard the Cougar Ace cargo vessel when it nearly capsized off the Aleutian Islands in Alaska back in late July. The shipping vessel sat listing to one side for over a month before it was towed to and repaired at a port in Oregon. During that time, the vehicles on board, comprised of the Mazda3 small car and CX-7 crossover, were tied down at severe angles. Mazda had previously told us it would inspect all the vehicles and sell most as used with full disclosure, considering that many showed little or no signs of damage. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Max... will you buy a vehicle thats been lying on a wrecked ship for over 6 months..Not to mention the saltwater effects... I would not... Its not feasable for the company also...Mazda is among the big players of the automotive world... They will not jeopordise their name by selling these cars even at less than half the price and spoil the reputation it already has...

Godfather
Hello Godfather , thats why I had mentioned if ' they are really sure ' they could have kept it for auction , again this is just my view on the situation .
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 16:49   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,965
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

That ship's been lying there for SIX months with the cars in it???
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 22:39   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
aniguchisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
Quote:
$103 million worth of vehicles (60 percent of the vehicles on board were the more expensive CX-7, so we assumed a conservate per unit average MSRP of $22,000).

The total bodycount:
2,475----Mazda3s
329----Mazda3 five-doors
56----Mazda5s
1,329----CX-7s
214----RX-8s
5----MazdaSpeed6s
295----Miatas.
How are 1,329 CX-7s, 60% of the entire 4703-car shipment?

Last edited by aniguchisan : 18th December 2006 at 22:54.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 22:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,987
Thanked: 6,599 Times
Default

in value.....not in number of cars.

I guess the CX-7s were among the more expensive cars in that shipment.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 22:55   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
aniguchisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
in value.....not in number of cars.

I guess the CX-7s were among the more expensive cars in that shipment.
Ah, alrighty.

Still a bit silly totally scrapping them. I wouldn't mind an RX-8 or a CX-7 in my garage. (a free one)
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 09:45   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,798
Thanked: 25,038 Times
Default

So the cars were parked on a slope for over a month..... scrap them all!

Only in America.....

I really wonder to what extent they will be "scrapped". Maybe they will be sold to mazda in a 3rd world country as "scrap"...?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 05:17   #15
fb1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 186
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

damn give me one of those mazda rx8s!
fb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Fixing a scraped / scratched bumper audioholic DIY - Do it yourself 57 18th June 2017 08:32
My stopped car gets sideswiped and driver says i scraped his car jav Street Experiences 4 7th September 2010 01:08
Palio got scraped by bike. Can i claim insurance? lamborghini Indian Car Loans & Insurance 17 8th May 2005 21:14
Mazda RX-8 and Maybach spotted gTr Super-Cars & Imports in India 24 12th September 2004 16:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks