Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 29th January 2007, 17:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Finally the Viper is putting out half decent figures for an engine of that size. Yay.
Well it does so without 2 dozen performance enhancers that one could otherwise have bought off the web, so I think it calls for a round of applause.

Whats the point in having 10 turbos and 48 intercoolers and a gazillion gauges to monitor all of them? The beauty of the big engined cars is their simplicity and the fact that they are so unstressed.

Given a choice between a small engine with requires a few hundred gadgets to keep it straining at its absolute limit with very little tolerance for erro and a big engine that does the same in cruise mode, I'd prefer the latter. It may miss a beat or two but will still do its job. But thats a matter of personal preference.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 17:33   #17
BANNED

Agreed. I love big blocks too. But the Viper is a bit of an underperformer even by those standards - the Corvette puts out similar numbers with a much smaller engine.

Last edited by Boom Shiva : 29th January 2007 at 17:36.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 20:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Finally the Viper is putting out half decent figures for an engine of that size. Yay.
totaly disagree, just look at what a small engine needs to compare..

and because its this big, imagine how simple mods can make that car into a monster which would take very careful and high quality product parts for a supra or an evo or a smaller engine...

again like statros said its about preference but i dont think there is anything wrong with this engine size, efficiency in consideration to engine size is bullocks and i am afraid to say it for ricers..some of big big blocks are much much lighter than those itcy bitcy engines with their turbo and super chargers..

Last edited by 1Day : 29th January 2007 at 20:22.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 20:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
totaly disagree, just look at what a small engine needs to compare..

and because its this big, imagine how simple mods can make that car into a monster which would take very careful and high quality product parts for a supra or an evo or a smaller engine...

again like statros said its about preference but i dont think there is anything wrong with this engine size, efficiency in consideration to engine size is bullocks and i am afraid to say it for ricers..some of big big blocks are much much lighter than those itcy bitcy engines with their turbo and super chargers..
your right a modification of a long block will be more powerful than a small block and is lighter.

hey viper i always wondered that the guy looked like a Indian and did you have a look at the video of their celica it runs 7 sec and is the supra a auto or is it a manual because i watched a video of their record run in texas supra meet and it ran all in the 1st gear itself.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 21:52   #20
BANNED

I'll repeat, I love big blocks. Not even considering ricers here. But I think the Viper is an underperformer when you compare it with other relatively smaller (but still big) engined cars like the Corvette.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 22:25   #21
BHPian

i seriously doubt if they extract the full potential of the engine it might not be street legal same goes to the saleen when it was taken to full potential (competition version) its no longer street legal and boom shiva everybody likes long blocks man.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 22:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well one of the Texas Supra meets had their white car, which is Nero's personal ride. That's the 6-speed tranny. The monster Supra runs a 2-speed auto.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 22:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just FYI, guys, street legality does not depend on hp or any such ratings. It depends on what dB levels your exhaust puts out, whether you have your headlights and taillights, what tyres you run, and whether you run pump gas.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2007, 23:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Did you forget the biggest thing? polution and yes highly modified engines like this never pass the polution level requirements set in most states and probably because of that and the loudness of the exhaust(to a much less degree) that car is not street legal.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote