Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2007, 17:45   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_fan View Post
Dunno how many ppl know this, but the first ever R series Audi, the RS-2 Avant, was built in collaboration with Porsche....

Yes, and it used a lot of Porsche suspesion components while the brakes were a straight lift from the 911. A lot of work on that car was done by Porsche.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 17:47   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:

PS Gurus , can some one change the colour to pure Silver and Black and add these alloys .

Last edited by maxbhp : 12th February 2007 at 17:52.
maxbhp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 22:04   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

R8 has had its official launch, you will find this car in all sorts of colors and wheel options, it would be better you type Audi R8 in google.

Like here is one official pics i love :



Silver but not all the way

Another silver not all the way

Just a cool shot

Here R8 is in 4-5 different colors, red, black, silver, grey

Last edited by 1Day : 12th February 2007 at 22:15.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 19:04   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Thanks one day . It indeed looks good.
maxbhp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 19:19   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 399
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Winding Road has a matchup of the R8 with Corvette Z06.

Subscribe :: Winding Road

Incidentally, Winding road is pretty awesome - all that content for free
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 00:44   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Winding Road has a matchup of the R8 with Corvette Z06.

Subscribe :: Winding Road

Incidentally, Winding road is pretty awesome - all that content for free
I dont think it was a match up with numbers, its was more like Audi always wanted to build a car as significant as a corvette(z06 to be specific) and they tried it with this one..
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 17:39   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 51
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sure Advocatus, there is no denying the brilliance of the Boxster chassis (also in its application of the Cayman) and how capable it is. Applicable to most Porsches ever made.

But thats still not taking away from one of the reasons behind the Boxsters success i.e. an entry-level Porsche that brings the german marque within the reach of a much wider audience.

Badge counts. Whether with the Boxster, or the Merc C Class.
Sorry GTO, you are trying to muddy the waters here.

There is difference between stating the reasons for the Boxster's success (as you have above) and saying "Not too many people buy the Boxster cos of its attributes.....its because its the only Porsche they can afford."

They are different topics of debate.

The Boxster is bought by many, SPECIFICALLY for its attributes (which differ from the 911) and regarding price, you should be aware that it is often more expensive than many other older Porsches and even contemporary 911's as I explained above.

There are a lot of preconceived notions on this forum, which I think in part are attributed to a greater lack of accessibility to the cars themselves, than we have in Europe. Regardless, this is an enthusiasts website and I only attempt to set the record straight with my limited knowledge wherever I can.
Advocatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 22:16   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocatus View Post

There are a lot of preconceived notions on this forum, which I think in part are attributed to a greater lack of accessibility to the cars themselves, than we have in Europe. Regardless, this is an enthusiasts website and I only attempt to set the record straight with my limited knowledge wherever I can.
Didnt one of the european TV hosts say the exact same thing as GTO said about the coxster(sorry, but i cant help it, it brings a grin to my face when i think of it)...

so even in europe they think prety much the same, i know in US they do..

It is no doubt one of the best handling cars out there... and the most fun on twisties, but comeon even speed is something

I cant see my self in it or the gayman
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 15:12   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 51
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Didnt one of the european TV hosts say the exact same thing as GTO said about the coxster(sorry, but i cant help it, it brings a grin to my face when i think of it)...

so even in europe they think prety much the same, i know in US they do..

It is no doubt one of the best handling cars out there... and the most fun on twisties, but comeon even speed is something

I cant see my self in it or the gayman
As someone who is very active on the car scene here, I can assure you that what I said stands. "TV hosts" tend to spew out the same opinion time and time again e.g. 911: "engine in wrong place", TVR "great noise, smells of glue", etc, etc. It is driver statistics and driver choices that make up the true picture.

I had the pleasure of pitting a modified 944 Turbo against a Gayman (yes, I call it that too!) and the steps forward Porsche have taken since the 944 is truly staggering. The 944 was quicker in a straight line, but the Gayman was a great driving experience.
Advocatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 01:35   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocatus View Post
and the steps forward Porsche have taken since the 944 is truly staggering.
No doubting that, porsche's are awesome when it comes to handling and fit/finish..

The porsche i would love to own are the specialty models.. GT3, GT2, Turbo, CGT etc, not the ones that sit below, but that doesnt mean i dont have respect for them, just not enough to buy one..
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 17:10   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,745
Thanked: 89,345 Times
Default

Quote:
They are different topics of debate.
Actually they arent. The boxster may find its buyers because of the cars capabilities, but a LOT of people do buy the Boxster because its the only Porsche they can afford. Even in the last post of mine that you have quoted, the line "an entry-level Porsche that brings the german marque within the reach of a much wider audience" implies the same thing...a cheaper Porsche. An affordable Porsche. A Porsche which a LOT more people can pay for. Its marketing the brand....a high-end brand that suddenly became a lot more accessible (in price) to many more people and lead to success. More sales than even Porsches original expectations (10000 p.a.).

Quote:
The Boxster is bought by many, SPECIFICALLY for its attributes (which differ from the 911)
No one is debating that. Many yes. But not the majority.

It has its capabilities yes. But how many actually use it? Most of the owners I met couldnt care any lesser. How many people actually push the boxster to its limits? Thats like saying that SUVs sell for their off-roadability (atleast the ones that can offroad). More people buy SUVs for the image and badge rather than the off-roading capability. How many 4x4s go off-roading? The Cayenne also off-roads. Umm....how many people go down the beaten track in it again? Dont get me wrong...I am not saying the Boxster is not a capable machine. Its a fine one at that. But the Porsche brand (and image associated with it) at such a low price have been the reason for the Boxsters success.

1. Are you aware that almost half of the Boxsters sales (40% +) come from North America?

2. That the best-selling version of Porsche is the base version, and NOT the "S". Surely, Surely, if boxster owners were only looking at capability......they would not mind the extra $$$ for the extra power, bigger engine and the 6-speed tranmission (as opposed to the original 5 speed)?That the best-selling base version in the USA is the automatic? Coupled with the base engine?

3. That a significant number of Porsche buyers are women. Sure, I know that there are some women who would love a well-handling machine but the majority of these buyers have bought the Boxster NOT because of its capabilities. But because of price. And I repeat, its the only Porsche that they can afford. Also of interest is the fact that a majority of Boxster owners in the USA are first-time Porsche owners.

Even the original engine that the Boxster was launched with, shows who Porsche was targeting it toward. A 2.5 liter 201 bhp engine in 1997? It clearly indicates that Porsche was looking for first-time buyers who wanted a Porsche....but couldnt stretch upto 2 - 3x the price for one. Sure it handles..... Thats not the point.

Porsche ownership went cheaper. And the low price is undoubtedly a reason for its success. However and as things stand, the Boxster sales are in their 6th consecutive year of decline. Well, it has only got more capable over the years hasnt it?

Quote:
There are a lot of preconceived notions on this forum, which I think in part are attributed to a greater lack of accessibility to the cars themselves, than we have in Europe.
Lets keep market accessiblity and exposure out of this....a good number of us Team-BHPians have spent our adult years in markets far bigger than the UK also, and ones that had greater "accessibility to the cars themselves". I have also track-raced and spent time in plentiful exotics.

It could be that your preconceived notion is a preconceived notion in itself.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2007 at 17:12.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 17:40   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2007 Lotus Exige S vs. 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 - Comparison Tests



Quote:
Those in the Porsche camp say there’s no better thrill than the GT3 at redline, but the Z06 fans quickly counter that the Z06 was not only faster than the GT3 but also the most comfortable street car of the three, with an acceptably supple ride and relatively low interior noise levels. Although the Corvette’s seats aren’t terribly supportive on the track, they’re not unacceptable on a long trip, and the car is almost as easy to get into and out of as the Porsche. Add a decent stereo, a navigation system, and GM’s legendary HVAC system, and the Z06 was much sought after for the long, dark, cold drive home at the end of the day. A rip-snorting track-day car with enough civility for a bone-weary trip home? You’d better believe it, and at 40 grand less than the price of the GT3. Reason enough to win? We think so.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th February 2007 at 17:44.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 22:04   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Porsche unveils entry-level Cayman

Porsche is releasing an entry-level Cayman to capitalize on the success of the Cayman S.It comes as a bit of a surprise that this new Cayman has come along so quickly, leading to speculation that Boxster sales are not brisk and Porsche needed to boost their lower end sales. The Cayman will start at $49,400, compared to $58,900 for the Cayman S.

Source:
Porsche unveils entry-level Cayman
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:17   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 51
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually they arent. The boxster may find its buyers because of the cars capabilities, but a LOT of people do buy the Boxster because its the only Porsche they can afford. Even in the last post of mine that you have quoted, the line "an entry-level Porsche that brings the german marque within the reach of a much wider audience" implies the same thing...a cheaper Porsche.
.
.
.
Lets keep market accessiblity and exposure out of this....a good number of us Team-BHPians have spent our adult years in markets far bigger than the UK also, and ones that had greater "accessibility to the cars themselves". I have also track-raced and spent time in plentiful exotics.

It could be that your preconceived notion is a preconceived notion in itself.
While you make some good, factual points in your post, you have failed to address one crucial element. You have ignored the large and influential used car market. The existence of parity of price in such a market (this is a fact, as I demonstrated re. 911 - Boxter in an earlier post) makes your argument that the main reason Boxsters are bought is because of their attractive price and it being "the only Porsche that they can afford" unsustainable. Take a look at the amount of second hand cars that change hands in Europe, the figures will speak for themselves.

The overwhelming factor that determines a purchase in this market is choice and preference - which was my original point. Many people CHOOSE the boxster. The failure to address this influential sector of the consumers makes your argument unpersuasive to me.

It is for this reason that I state again: Boxsters are bought for what they can do as much as any other factor.

As for my preconceived notions: I happy to be corrected but at this point but I think market accessability and exposure are extremely relevant. I remain unconvinced to anything different thus far. With respect, ownership, ethusiasm and having a ride are three very different things.

I am not try to stir things up by way of addition, simply stating my point of view.
Advocatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 23:57   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

2008 Audi R8 vs. 2007 Porsche 911 Carrera S - Comparison Tests



THE VERDICT
The Audi R8 is a unique realization of the carmaker’s art, with everything you’d expect in a 21st-century sports car. The Audi raises the bar in refinement, all-season practicality, and accessible performance. The 911, on the other hand, is an old brute groomed and tamed to a surprising level of sophistication. At least in this informal duel, the R8 appears to be the better sports car.

Source + comparison details:
2008 Audi R8 vs. 2007 Porsche 911 Carrera S - Comparison Tests - Car and Driver April 2007
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porsche Drive (Rentals): With a Porsche 911 Carrera voyageur Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 14 19th July 2016 22:10
15th Raid de Himalaya sees a glut of women competitors JayPrashanth Indian Motorsport 1 7th October 2013 20:18
Porsche 991 pictures leaked! - 2012 Porsche 911 shamik.bose The International Automotive Scene 19 4th September 2011 04:10
Competitors for Mahindra Xylo ??? gowda79 The Indian Car Scene 41 2nd July 2010 01:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks