Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 12th February 2007, 02:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Rumoured -SUV from Bentley,Jaguar

Pics are doing the round on the internet about bentley working on an SUV,though officially Bentley call's this piece of news completely untrue.

Quote:

According to insider information the famous Volkswagen-owned British car maker Bentley is about to go off road. Dubbed “Cross Continental” the new model is set to rival the Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator.

Power is likely to come from both, the Arnage’s 6.75-litre V8 with 475 bhp and the Continental GT’s 6-litre W12 TwinTurbo developing 560 bhp.
An Artist's Impression of the SUV

Source:
Spy Photos: New Bentley SUV?
+
Spy Photos: More New Bentley 4x4

PS: Quite an old rumour actually,but got an email only today about the bentley suv.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 12th February 2007 at 02:17.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 02:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

SUV from Jaguar:

Quote:
The Jaguar plant that builds the current X-Type is slated to start building the next Freelander, which opens up an easy way to base a Jaguar SUV off the mechanicals. The "soft-roader" would likely be available for 2009.
Source:Jaguar getting version of Freelander AWD system for SUV - Autoblog
Old 12th February 2007, 03:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

God NO, not an SUV from Bentley please! VW has done enough crap by lauching that Chav-mobile called the Continental GT & this would be the final nail in the coffin for me.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 05:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

I want an SUV from Bentley, but BTW its a dupe, I had posted this a year back i think..atleast the bentley one i remember..
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 16:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

...to which I'd posted an almost identical design I'd made in 2003, for conceptual, yet factual, reasons.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 17:28   #6
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Here's a thought and I welcome your reactions...

A lot of "refined" people (Europeans in particular) seem to think that an SUV or a van is too "working-class commercial vehicle", too bourgeois, too tastelessly American!

Better suited to the informal T-shirt and blue-jeans crowd, than to an aristocrat in a tuxedo and his satin-gloved princess in a formal evening gown.

Now you know why stiff upper-lip marques like Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Jaguar and Daimler stay away from vans and SUVs.

Mercedes 600 Pullman
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 17:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

If Bentley really makes an SUV, it will be nothing but a VW Touareg in disguise and if Jaguar makes an SUV, it'll be nothing but a Volvo XC90 or at the most a Land Rover LR3 in disguise.
You're probably better off buying and maintaining the original cars.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 17:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ram there is one more tag associated with the suv's which are drawing away people from them, Gas Guzzlers.
Old 12th February 2007, 18:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Manufacturers are making SUVs because no one can afford to ignore America.(Mercedes is going back to column mounted shifters. Eeeks!) Anyway,new money is outgrowing old money, hence the showy new SUVs.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 00:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can someone tell me which was the first SUV[pics if possible],though I did see some toyota landcruiser ads saying something like Long before the SUV hype...
Old 13th February 2007, 02:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand the attitude of ppl towards SUV, whats wrong /w an SUV, in a place like US, an SUV is more of a necessity than show as ppl like to point out..

I think SUVs are awesome and there is no substitute, if you think there is, then try living in the US with a very US lifestyle..I dont have one yet, because of the sequence of my car buying but my next car is going to be an SUV..
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 09:02   #12
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default Bolero's evolved from world's first SUV !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Can someone tell me which was the first SUV[pics if possible],though I did see some toyota landcruiser ads saying something like Long before the SUV hype...
World's first SUV?

IMHO, what qualifies as the world's first SUV would have to be the Willys Wagon.
Although it was not called by the name: SUV, back then.

The Willys Wagon was advertised as the all-purpose business pleasure vehicle with 4-wheel-drive "double traction" action and half-ton cargo capacity.

My uncle had the use of one in Sagar, MP. It was a creamy white and in outstanding condition: 20,000 orig. miles -- A white bakelite coated two-spoke steering wheel with a big "W" on the boss. Big round "Smiths" speedometer calibrated in MPH flanked by four rectangular gauges for Amps, Temp, Fuel and Oil pressure. The family called it "white elephant".

The Willys Wagon was first manufactured in 1946 in two-wheel drive.
In 1947, around India's independence, it was available in four-wheel drive.

The twin hillstations of Mahabaleshwar / Panchgani used these as taxis, like forever !
Wrote about Panchgani wagons, last year (An Indian station wagon from the past).

Engines
There were 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder versions.

From 1946 to 1950 the 4-cylinder was the 2.2 litre flathead Go-Devil engine from the World-War II military Jeep MB.

And the 6-cylinder was a 2.4 litre flathead "Lightning" engine.

After 1950, until it was finally discontinued in 1965, the 4-cylinder was the 2.2 litre F-head "Hurricane" engine from the Willys CJ-3B.

And the 6-cylinder evolved from a 2.6 litre flathead to a 3.8 litre overhead camshaft (OHC) engine.

The Willys Wagon featured in Stanley Kramer's 1963 movie, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"

Our venerable Mahindra & Mahindra, carried the 4-cyl. version (and imported early 6-cyl. lightnings) for many many years, although the later 6-cylinders (Super Hurricane and Tornado) were never available in fuel-economy conscious India.

Long after M&M discontinued it, they continued with a stretched CJ-3B based "Town and Country Wagonette". The line continued with a stretched-MM540 based Commander which evolved to the Bolero.

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 19:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Sir Ram,you continue to amaze me with your knowledge about cars.Its a real pleasure coming across someone like you.You are an absloute treasure house.
Old 13th February 2007, 20:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
OT:
Sir Ram,you continue to amaze me with your knowledge about cars.Its a real pleasure coming across someone like you.You are an absloute treasure house.
I second you on that one!

Coming back to the topic, the Wagoneer was also very comfortable compared to its utilitarian brethren like the Bronco.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote