Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 14th February 2007, 12:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mechanic's tale : Volkswagen Reliablity

Came across this intersting article : Mechanic's tale: VW, Heal Thyself.

Skoda Vrs owners, please read the article. The 1.8T engine has a lot of sludge issues. Though the Skoda's in India seem to have escaped the problem.

I have first hand expereince of how shoddy VW 's customer service is in North America. If I had to put it in words, I would say, VW America puts Fiat India on a pedestal when it comes to After sales service. VW's are notorious for electrical gremlins at least in America.

Here is a quote from the article.

Quote:
I was bugged out because I could get no data when I connected my scanner. I called VW tech. When I mentioned the problem with no scan data he asked, "Does the car have an aftermarket radio?". Sure enough it did. He told me the computer system interfaces with the radio and often you can't get data if the radio has been changed.
Why do German's have to make things so complicated?

Here is another issue from the article.

Quote:
If it takes more than one paragraph in the manual to check the auto trans fluid (currently 14 pages and climbing), you're doing something wrong.
What I never understood is how does Skoda fare so high in reliablity in Europe when all their cars are VW's underneath the skin, while VW's themselves struggle with their reliablity rankings?

Last edited by amit : 14th February 2007 at 12:53.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 13:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Its a case of proprietizing as many items as possible
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 14:17   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I never understood is how does Skoda fare so high in reliablity in Europe when all their cars are VW's underneath the skin, while VW's themselves struggle with their reliablity rankings?
Arent Skodas supposed to have lesser electronics?

Interesting read nevertheless. It also led me to identifix - What a fabulous business model!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 19:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Some Old articles[year 2004]

Consumer Reports: Most reliable cars
European sedans may have many wonderful attributes. Reliability, however, is not among them, according to the latest Consumer Reports reliability survey.

USA beats Europe for reliability

Now come to the year 2006 and of the 5 least reliable luxury cars two are landrovers and one is a VW,The Volkswagen Touareg.
Source:
Least Reliable Luxury Cars 2006 - Forbes.com

Volkswagen Jetta (5 cyl.)&Volkswagen Passat (4 cyl.)are still in the list of least reliable cars in the US for 2006.
Surprisingly, the least reliable cars are European made, as 19 out of 45 most unreliable cars are from Europe.
Least Reliable Cars: Not American Made, Not Japanese Made, but European Made - The Sun’s Financial Diary - Accumulating wealth is like building The Great Wall, one brick at a time

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 14th February 2007 at 20:12.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 20:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

While on the topic, here is the list of Most reliable luxury cars in 2007.

With all talks of German car's reliability making rounds, out of 16 models, 2 are from MB, 3 from BMW and 2 from Porsche. Toyota (Lexus) has 5 models listed, which is but expected.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote