Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 08:12   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
ananthkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

These are the things in your posts which seriously hurt your credibility (not that you have any right now):


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Firstly never ever try and compare cars with different drivers and especially a highly track tuned car with a regular street car.
Point #1: Why the hell not? if you can say dropping 25k into a corvette will create a "level-playing field" (your own words) with the Carrera GT, then I can very well say dropping 15k in an STi will make it equal to a Corvette.

Point #2: Who said that the particular Z06 is a street car?? That Z06 ran in the TTR class, which as you might be knowing (or NOT!!) is a completely unlimited class according to the NASA website (NASA Time Trial - About / FAQ) The STi, on the other hand was a TTA class contender with limited modifications allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
I compared professional times from professional drivers on a race track(even though i know walter has much more experience than john).
Point #1 Willow springs is a very well known race track. You, of all people, should know that, with your incredible knowledge and incredible contacts (the latter being a little too incredible).

Point #2 You yourself admitted the STi had a "pro-like driver" (your own words). And the Corvette set the fastest lap time there. A street poser who buys the Corvette for attention can NOT achieve that specially in a track like Willow which has been described as "technical & requiring extreme skill".


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
There is a 350hp highly tuned Chevy Aveo(ewhh!!)
why the ewhh? Huh? Is it because any poor sod like myself can rent one of those and a similar-looking car (although highly tuned) will kick your $70,000 @$$ anywhere, anytime, anyplace?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
The reason is because it was a highly tuned track setup with unbelievable brakes, suspension, light as hell and had a "near-pro" driver driving that car..
Point #1 Arent these exactly the things that you demanded for the Corvette to beat a Carrera? Wait let me think, i think you said:


Post 16 "4-5k for suspension"
Post 37 "the Z06 with 612 hp and some carbon brakes and some sticky tires(all to make a level playing field)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
The C6Z06 driver made some mistakes in that video, i could point them out to you with a timeline if you want.
Dude, in case you didnt know, that's called racing. If that's your big point, then lets close this whole silly discussion by saying that the Carrera GT driver made mistakes when he was driving the Nordschliefe. That's why he was only 15 seconds faster than the Corvette Z06. Are you willing to accept that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Did you see how the C6Z06 let the guy go buy when it was not really required(its towards the end).
This conclusively proves you dont know horsecrap about racing. The STi quite clearly out-powered the Z06 coming out of the turn and the Z06 driver was smart enough (another indication he wasnt a street poser) to give way. If he didnt, he was quite clearly an a-hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
I have witneses who were there that day and who know both the drivers very well.
A highly dubious claim which I will never believe bar nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
The C6Z06 driver wasnt there to prove anything on the track where as the STi driver was pretty much running a "commerical" for crawford the Power on this car is not 450whp it is more like 650hp and it is lightened(i dont know by how much, stis are really light cars)
Point #1 If it was an ad, why the hell would they under-rate the power by 200 hp? Another one of your points which look impressive but are nothing more than horse poo-poo on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
i was comparing almost stock setup with CGT and Z06.
So "612 hp, carbon brakes, stickier tires & a $5000 suspension" qualify as stock. Any semblance of your credibility has been officially shattered today.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
and i think the video had it all wrong(saw another video of this car),
Look ma, no credibility!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
And in the 400m race, let me not get started, it was a base C6 with a bad bad driver(with too wheel spin on terrible surface) where as the Sti had AWD going for it. Even a fool could launch a powerful AWD car,
Dont you have decent eyes? The STi got MORE wheelspin than the Corvette. It was a base C6 sure, but the title says it had a 200hp shot of nitrous. Ok now that may be questionable but that run was like taking candy from a street poser kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
In my(and some expert) opinion the Z06 can easily reduce the time down to the STi with some skilled driver and a minor track setup(sway bar change and some suspension tunning)
Congratulations. You have dug your own grave on Team BHP by saying a $70,000 car needs some more mods to be done to it, in order to match up to a $35,000 car with a $10,000 kit. Then how in God's name do you expect it to beat a Carrera GT in "almost stock" (your own words) condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
But in the end this video showed how great the STi is when setup like a mad machine but doesnt show that the STi is more powerful overall.
This, in my opinion (and some experts that I consulted from Arkham Asylum) is indicative of the fact that you need some therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
but i always talked about performance
No you didnt. You always tried to defend the Corvette for some reason (maybe cause you own it) at all costs, and beyond all reasonable means. If you believe that the Corvette is so good vs. other cars, go ahead. But dont impose your lame opinion and your so-called experts (who dont exist, yeah, they dont) on people, some of whom might take your word for it just because you live in America and just because you own expensive cars and just because you talk like you've been places. You havent. You dont know crap about racing. You dont know crap about modifying or tuning cars so dont be coming down here and teaching all of us in your patronizing tone about stuff that you dont know in the first place.

Mods you are free to delete this entire post and ban me from this forum forever but I cant stand people like this who dont know jack about anything and impose their opinions on thousands of uninformed people.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 08:48   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
These are the things in your posts which seriously hurt your credibility (not that you have any right now):




Point #1: Why the hell not? if you can say dropping 25k into a corvette will create a "level-playing field" (your own words) with the Carrera GT, then I can very well say dropping 15k in an STi will make it equal to a Corvette.
Dude, where in the hell do you read all this stuff, i said, thats what it would need to spank the hell out of the CGT and not be equal, sticker tires and a 70,000$ car is running similar times(7:30 vs 7:35ish) to a 484,000$ porsche super/hyper car. You need to read things again.


Quote:
Point #2: Who said that the particular Z06 is a street car?? That Z06 ran in the TTR class, which as you might be knowing (or NOT!!) is a completely unlimited class according to the NASA website (NASA Time Trial - About / FAQ) The STi, on the other hand was a TTA class contender with limited modifications allowed.
I know what TTR class is and you think you are the only forum reader with any cars, the owner of this car frequents on another forum, there was a EVO guy on my other forum who seems to know both owners and was there that day. and knows for a fact what is in the Z06, it was stock, with i believe change in tires(something better than runcraps)


Quote:
Point #1 Willow springs is a very well known race track. You, of all people, should know that, with your incredible knowledge and incredible contacts (the latter being a little too incredible).
I am sorry what was your point with this?

Quote:
Point #2 You yourself admitted the STi had a "pro-like driver" (your own words). And the Corvette set the fastest lap time there. A street poser who buys the Corvette for attention can NOT achieve that specially in a track like Willow which has been described as "technical & requiring extreme skill".
Yes i did, never said C6Z06 driver was poor or not very good, he is infact quite good, but arnt some drivers better than other, in this case the STi driver is well known and very very good.



Quote:
why the ewhh? Huh? Is it because any poor sod like myself can rent one of those and a similar-looking car (although highly tuned) will kick your $70,000 @$$ anywhere, anytime, anyplace?
Because i dont like it thats y ewwhh...and its the same way your were ewhh-ing a corvette in comparison to a high priced car, in my case aveo isnt really a sports car where as corvette z06 is.


Quote:
Point #1 Arent these exactly the things that you demanded for the Corvette to beat a Carrera? Wait let me think, i think you said:
Nope, minor changes not an overhaul that was required by the STi to stay with the Z06 there.


Quote:
Post 16 "4-5k for suspension"
Post 37 "the Z06 with 612 hp and some carbon brakes and some sticky tires(all to make a level playing field)"
that setup would destroy the CGT on the track, i said if you wanted equal specs to each car you will see that the class leading porsche really didnt need to be soo highly priced and its technological advancements wouldnt really mean anything because a poor low tech machine with similar specs would come out with much better times on the track...given similar specs, how is that, you tell me?


Quote:
Dude, in case you didnt know, that's called racing. If that's your big point, then lets close this whole silly discussion by saying that the Carrera GT driver made mistakes when he was driving the Nordschliefe. That's why he was only 15 seconds faster than the Corvette Z06. Are you willing to accept that?
Racing? Who is talking about racing, we are talking about cars bro, you are completely missing the point through and through..we are comparing cars and not drivers.

15 secs is with poor tires and the diff is 5 secs with equal tires and similar drivers, walter is one of the most experienced driver on the ring and the corvette racing driver was very new but experienced none the less, so i never took the driver as a factor and considered them equal.



Quote:
This conclusively proves you dont know horsecrap about racing. The STi quite clearly out-powered the Z06 coming out of the turn and the Z06 driver was smart enough (another indication he wasnt a street poser) to give way. If he didnt, he was quite clearly an a-hole.
Were you there with the car that day that you can clearly say that the STi out-powered or rather the C6Z06 didnt think he wanted to push his car any further or was not comfortable enough, no one said he was a street poser, i didnt say it..



Quote:
A highly dubious claim which I will never believe bar nothing.
who cares if you dont, i dont need to give you any proof..



Quote:
Point #1 If it was an ad, why the hell would they under-rate the power by 200 hp? Another one of your points which look impressive but are nothing more than horse poo-poo on the inside.
you think? i advertise 450hp, get into a particular class, out perform anything there and prove, my product is awesome. Anyhow i said "pretty much" which meant, he was out there pushing the car to the total limit. I will post the link to the video of the car which claims 650hp..it could be that this had 450hp only and the video of 650hp was after this race, possible, but do you know how madly that car is tuned? crawford has s 600lb weight loss program for the STi, do you know what that would do to the car??


Quote:
So "612 hp, carbon brakes, stickier tires & a $5000 suspension" qualify as stock. Any semblance of your credibility has been officially shattered today.
Dude, dude, plz read man, i wasnt talking about beating the CGT with stock but being on its @$$, sure as hell cant say the same thing about the STi, a simple tire swap wouldnt put it close a base corvette forget a C6Z06, where as a tire swap on the C6Z06 is pretty much destroying GT3 RS (race bred porsche cars) and would be right @ CGT's @$$..which means a whole lot which you just fail to see and acknowledge..



Quote:
Look ma, no credibility!!!!
yeah you with you auto degree are showing a whole lot by not comprehending anything i am saying


Quote:
Dont you have decent eyes? The STi got MORE wheelspin than the Corvette. It was a base C6 sure, but the title says it had a 200hp shot of nitrous. Ok now that may be questionable but that run was like taking candy from a street poser kid.
jees, have you never driven an AWD car...come on dude...talk sense..a fool can drive a AWD car and launch it real good..a high HP RWD car with a poor driver and poor surface is just suicide...show me proof it was 200hp worth of shot and if you really think that a STi can destroy a base vette like this in stock form, you have some researching to do..



Quote:
Congratulations. You have dug your own grave on Team BHP by saying a $70,000 car needs some more mods to be done to it, in order to match up to a $35,000 car with a $10,000 kit. Then how in God's name do you expect it to beat a Carrera GT in "almost stock" (your own words) condition?
dude 70,000 sports car for the streets+track with compromises to every component not a track only car...a big big diff, i thought you were a student of automotive engineering..

I am comparing a street car to GT3 RS and CGT which are track bred cars and not street cars from any angle like the Z06 is..


Quote:
This, in my opinion (and some experts that I consulted from Arkham Asylum) is indicative of the fact that you need some therapy.
Sure, i am going right now to enroll



Quote:
No you didnt. You always tried to defend the Corvette for some reason (maybe cause you own it) at all costs, and beyond all reasonable means. If you believe that the Corvette is so good vs. other cars, go ahead. But dont impose your lame opinion and your so-called experts (who dont exist, yeah, they dont) on people, some of whom might take your word for it just because you live in America and just because you own expensive cars and just because you talk like you've been places. You havent. You dont know crap about racing. You dont know crap about modifying or tuning cars so dont be coming down here and teaching all of us in your patronizing tone about stuff that you dont know in the first place.
Fine by me, dont care what you think, but you havent proven anything in all this..the only thing you have is that the liking i have towards corvettes is similar to your dislike and hence you are trying(unsuccessfully) really hard to put the great engineered car down..admit it man..you cant digest it and is going against everything you have against the american car manufacturers..

Quote:
Mods you are free to delete this entire post and ban me from this forum forever but I cant stand people like this who dont know jack about anything and impose their opinions on thousands of uninformed people.
plz dont...it is entertaining for me, if he cant handle it, its different..

Last edited by 1Day : 20th April 2007 at 09:08.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 09:22   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
ananthkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

why are you talking then. post the video. point out the mistakes that the corvette driver did with a timeline.

i never ewhh-ed a corvette anywhere. your speculation about corvette vs. carrera is what ticked me off. you claim to be a "hands-on" guy who believes nothing unless he sees it or "feels" it but then again you speculate about track times.

STi was overhauled is a lame-as$ opinion and anyway its already been done. the corvette hasnt beaten a carrera as yet in the real world, only in "1 Day" imaginary world.

by giving the corvette carbon brakes and other stuff arent you upgrading it to some cutting edge technology. sorry you forgot that because you are blinded.

cars arent driven by robots that you can compare them without comparing drivers. again you speculated that the difference is 5 seconds. prove it to me that its 5 seconds and i wont say another word about this. I challenge you.

you speculated that the surface was poor in the drag video. or were you or any of your meghdoots there that day that place and measured friction coefficient and said surface is poor. God-damn it everytime you talk I can pick out inconsistencies. Can do it all day long, I hope the mods dont ban me cause its good entertainment for me too.

knock me all you want for being an insider in the auto industry. precisely why you just dont get it how we do things. i've said it before and i'll say it again: being an auto industry insider gives me a perspective on a level incomprehensible to someone whose primary source of information is internet forums.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 20th April 2007 at 09:36.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 09:44   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
why are you talking then. post the video. point out the mistakes that the corvette driver did with a timeline.

i never ewhh-ed a corvette anywhere. your speculation about corvette vs. carrera is what ticked me off. you claim to be a "hands-on" guy who believes nothing unless he sees it or "feels" it but then again you speculate about track times.

STi was overhauled is a lame-as$ opinion and anyway its already been done. the corvette hasnt beaten a carrera as yet in the real world, only in "1 Day" imaginary world.

by giving the corvette carbon brakes and other stuff arent you upgrading it to some cutting edge technology. sorry you forgot that because you are blinded.

cars arent driven by robots that you can compare them without comparing drivers. again you speculated that the difference is 5 seconds. prove it to me that its 5 seconds and i wont say another word about this. I challenge you.

you speculated that the surface was poor in the drag video. or were you or any of your meghdoots there that day that place and measured friction coefficient and said surface is poor. God-damn it everytime you talk I can pick out inconsistencies. Can do it all day long, I hope the mods dont ban me cause its good entertainment for me too.
Ok here is your proof(though all you have to do is read my posts above):

Anyhow i will lay it out for you.

I will ask you series of questions and you keep answering, i am sure you can do that..

1. Do tires make a difference in track performance of a car?

a. No -> Please read no further, its no point..

b. Yes -> Ok then cont.

2. Do you think Runflat tires are any good for track use?

a. Yes -> possibly in your world, no according to a good driver, please exit this thread

b. No -> Fine cont.

3. Do you think PS2s would give you a good advantage over runflat tires, more grip and better time?

a. No -> Fine i cant agrue then, please exit

b. Yes -> Fine thats good, lets cont forward then (great to see you here)

4. Do you think Cup R-Compound tires would take tracking to another level as compared to the PS2s?

a. No -> Jeez man, i need to tell the tire company to stop their propaganda then...exit plz

b. Yes -> Great, glad i can make you come all the way here...cont..

5. Porsche 997 911 Turbo posted 7:47(PS2s) and 7:40(Cup) which give us 7 secs performance advantage in a 480hp car

a. No -> come on, now you are just being mean, this doesnt take albert to figure out, does it...exit...

b. Yes -> so then considering Vette ran bone stock with runflat tires which are worse than the PS2s and on a small track you could easily gain .5+ secs with a change from Runcraps to PSs then on a big an meaty track like the ring, runcraps to PS2s would be about 2+ secs, lets just take 2, while keeping that and adding somebit of the 7 secs from the Cup times you reach somewhere close to i dont know may be 7:34 may be, now considering walters time on CGT from 7:28-7:32 you can see how i can claim that with just a tire swap you are so close that you could smell the nice nice fumes coming from the CGTs behind! dont you think..

Also the GT3 time was 7:39 with cups, you know GT3 right, their track version and a hardcore RS version was suppose to lower the time even further 3-4 secs, so there you go..

if you dont want to take this as proof fine by me, also btw the corvette racing driver isnt as well versed as walter on the ring and he could have improved after some more experience, but i will discount that for you..


And on another "not so intelligent" note of yours, something on the line of robots etc etc etc..

Car comparisons always happen by excluding any external variables, driver, temp, altitude etc..hence driver difference matters, its like putting me in a F599 and shumy in base 911 and then proving to me that base 911 is faster than the F599..because i couldnt drive as good as shumy could..

And i never said upgrade the brakes, if you really want to show the potential of the car then do, which GM couldnt completely see through(because of pricing issues, which will be a non-issue in the SS)..

anyhow..this is it for you..

Last edited by 1Day : 20th April 2007 at 09:48.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 09:53   #50
BHPian
 
pawan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: auckland, new zealand
Posts: 867
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

thez06 might not be able to take down the carrera gt but the newer one might be able to do that. and since we are talking about modded sti's say the pontiac gto -31,000$ and a mti package of 19,995$ car surely take down the 122,900$ 911 turbo and the car is surely cheaper than the 911.
but will have to wait for the new vette to take down the carrera gt.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 10:47   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
ananthkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,194
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

i have learnt the hard way not to speculate on car setup and say this will be faster by xx seconds around xx track. and therefore what you have given is not proof, its still speculation. still no credibility. if what you say is done i will accept it. in my world as you term it there are no unknowns, or opinions on technical facts. there are just real facts. and right now the fact is the carrera gt is faster. who's stopping anyone from putting cup tires or whatever it is on a corvette and proving that its faster. no one. in fact you or one of your buddies should do it if you want to put your money where your mouth is. if its that simple a matter of just changing tires and gaining nearly 15 seconds then go ahead and prove it. we are all listening.

thats it for you anyway. this thread is dead.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 13:01   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
Firstly never ever try and compare cars with different drivers and especially a highly track tuned car with a regular street car.

I compared professional times from professional drivers on a race track(even though i know walter has much more experience than john). There is a 350hp highly tuned Chevy Aveo(ewhh!!) that runs big willow in the low 1.20s on that track but that thing is striped to the boot and with full blown track setup, now does that make Chevy Aveo better car than any of the cars in Q. I dont think so. The reason is because it was a highly tuned track setup with unbelievable brakes, suspension, light as hell and had a "near-pro" driver driving that car..

The C6Z06 driver made some mistakes in that video, i could point them out to you with a timeline if you want. This STi driver as I have come to know is an extreemly "pro-like" driver with sh!t load of experience. Did you see how the C6Z06 let the guy go buy when it was not really required(its towards the end). I have witneses who were there that day and who know both the drivers very well. The C6Z06 driver wasnt there to prove anything on the track where as the STi driver was pretty much running a "commerical" for crawford and i think the video had it all wrong(saw another video of this car), the Power on this car is not 450whp it is more like 650hp and it is lightened(i dont know by how much, stis are really light cars) and has track suspension and brakes which are extremely extremely important. I am not taking anything away from this STi but it was a very highly tuned version of the car which really doesnt give an apples to apples comparison, i was comparing almost stock setup with CGT and Z06. Anyhow surely this STi @ willow had a kick @$$ setup and driver with all props to them.
Boss this is too much now. First you tell us that by investing X amount of money into a Z06 will make it whoop the CGT's @ss and you would need to change the Suspension, Brakes & tyres to achieve that gain. Now, when you've been shown an example of how investing a similar amount of money into a car costing half as much as the Corvette can make it whoop the Z06's rear end you cry foul? You can't have double standards for the comparisons! According to you a match up between the CGT vs. Tuned Z06 is fine but a Tuned STi vs. Z06 is not, what kind of logic is that boss?

And what's this nonsense about the AWD & launches? If the picked car has a layout advantage, it has that period. Even the Corvette has a plastic body (main problem why people rant about the build quality, according to me) and someone can come & say because of that the car is so much lighter & has an advantage. When you pick a car to compare with you accept the benefits it has over the car rather than crow about them.

And frankly all you're talking is pure hyperbole, whereas the STi example is pure proof. If you think that by dropping in whatever amount of money into a Z06 will make it into a CGT beater, that's fine, but atleast give us hard proof rather then expecting us to believe it because you said so.

And lastly I understand you liking & being defensive about the Corvette, everyone has a spot for cars they own/love. But please stop this silly argument here rather than continuing about it in your dream world. As & when you have proof we'll be more than happy to have this topic reopened.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 14:07   #53
BHPian
 
pawan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: auckland, new zealand
Posts: 867
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

i don't think this is a arguable point say a tunned z06 can take on the cgt for half the rate same way a tuned sti can take on z06 and a tuned civic can take on the sti and so on and so forth this topic has gone totally ot we should get back to discussion of the c7 vette.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 21:27   #54
BHPian
 
tsxei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 164
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks ananthkamath and 1Day for making this the most entertaining thread ever Towards the end I forgot what the original issue was and had to go back a couple of pages to see how it all started. Anyway, as entertaining as it is, I am sensing a bit of aggression. So lets stop this hate. Nothing is going to get proven when you are just comparing numbers posted by someone. There is no perfect car. Every car beats the other in one way or other. Competition is good. It helps drive the automotive industry so we can keep getting all these goodies. So there, that is a piece of my wisdow
tsxei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 21:33   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
1Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago/Delhi
Posts: 1,357
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Boss this is too much now. First you tell us that by investing X amount of money into a Z06 will make it whoop the CGT's @ss and you would need to change the Suspension, Brakes & tyres to achieve that gain. Now, when you've been shown an example of how investing a similar amount of money into a car costing half as much as the Corvette can make it whoop the Z06's rear end you cry foul? You can't have double standards for the comparisons! According to you a match up between the CGT vs. Tuned Z06 is fine but a Tuned STi vs. Z06 is not, what kind of logic is that boss?

And what's this nonsense about the AWD & launches? If the picked car has a layout advantage, it has that period. Even the Corvette has a plastic body (main problem why people rant about the build quality, according to me) and someone can come & say because of that the car is so much lighter & has an advantage. When you pick a car to compare with you accept the benefits it has over the car rather than crow about them.

And frankly all you're talking is pure hyperbole, whereas the STi example is pure proof. If you think that by dropping in whatever amount of money into a Z06 will make it into a CGT beater, that's fine, but atleast give us hard proof rather then expecting us to believe it because you said so.

And lastly I understand you liking & being defensive about the Corvette, everyone has a spot for cars they own/love. But please stop this silly argument here rather than continuing about it in your dream world. As & when you have proof we'll be more than happy to have this topic reopened.
I dont have a problem not liking a car period, but to put it down in performance and not acknowledging it, is totaly different things and thats what seems to be the case here.

Firstly to say that the STi whopped its @$$, may be you missed the driver variant and how massively a track tuned car makes a diff but it is a fact. That was STi's advantage on the track, that it was made especially for the tracks, isnt CGT made for the track? Z06 is not made for the track and hence i was offering track setup to enhance the performance. The STi wasnt just a bump in the HP if you know what i mean, it had way more components touched than just bumping hp and then comapring the cars, STi was full on track car where as the Z06 was not. How can i stress enough that the track setup makes a massive difference and you cant compare cars like that. This way you can pick up a civic throw in some 50-60Gs worth of track setup and call it the best car in the world..

I was talking stock times, but you arnt here...

I provided logical explaination(until you think porsche had some great formula or product that tire setup only would make a difference in their cars and no one elses)...

you could see how just a tire swap makes a massive massive diff and that 15 sec diff comes down to mere few seconds. now considering the "low tech" setup of a 70,000 car vs a 484,000 "high-tech" setup along with a 100 hp power advantage the difference should have been massive. Another thing both of you forgot here was the aero advantage of the CGT, it has a wing(remember the TG video where CCX had come back and knocked everything off the board with just a wing!!). If you really wanna whine their are plenty of ways.

You guys are crying foul as if i am saying Z06 is a better car than the Carrera GT, but i am saying it is on the same performance level as the CGT which speaks volumes for the car @ that price. This is what seems to be bothering most people who hate anything american.

Suddenly giving plain proof in the eye is speculation and showing me some random video on the internet is not speculation when you dont know what went down that day.

I was comparing factory times and i remember someone talking about "what is stopping some by talking the corvette with cup tires and putting the money where the mouth is". Well if ppl dont realise that could not be done because Cup tires are not offered by the factory and factory will not test anything that they dont offer.

Another thing i am seeing is that you ppl just constantly ignore the GT3 and GT3RS and GT2 comparison i am making with this low tech cars. I can may be agree that fine CGT is superior but come on porsche went ahead and track tuned the car for hardcore racing spent god knows how much dinero on those machines and still cant beat the performance bench mark set by a low-tech company like GM..

I mean you guys are arguing with me as if i think CGT isnt great, i think its one of the greatest cars ever, but in performance a z06 is not given credit the way it deserves and thats what i am on a mission of doing. Magazines have tested GT3s and vette on a tight track and z06 had been ahead and if you are even slighly aware you wouldnt believe that..because of the capability of GT3s on a tight track..

Anyhow it wasnt the same thing with track tuned STi vs a stock Z06 as it would be a almost stock Z06 with an already track tuned hyper car with a price tag of half a mil.

Last edited by 1Day : 20th April 2007 at 21:36.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 21:46   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
isnt CGT made for the track? Z06 is not made for the track and hence i was offering track setup to enhance the performance.
No, it's more track-bred. They are honed on the track, designed to perform exceptionally well on track, just like the Enzo, and the Murcie and so on. As much as on everyday street conditions. It's a part of vehicle development programmes to see cars tested on track, some get more time than others. I'm sure the CGT spent a lot of time on track, because that's what Porsche do for all their cars. I'm sure GM spent an incredible amount of time on track too. How many CGTs do you see racing? I see more Vettes racing. CGTs have become poser machines for super millionaires.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 22:03   #57
BHPian
 
pawan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: auckland, new zealand
Posts: 867
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

the z06 isnt a track bred car rather a street bred car but the c6rz06 is a track car and can sure give the cgt a run for its money.

rather than puting a street bred car against the cgt lets say we put the c6r,ford gt an then lets see how it does then against the track monsters an for fun sake lets see how it does against the s7.

the corvette racing versions have been wining from about 2002 in le mans so don't tell me stuff like the gear box will break it will blow a head gasket and all those stuff.

the corvettes c6 and the other versions of racing have been throughly track bred.

if you want to put the cgt on the street cars say give it the viper srt 10.

regarding the sti since its tuned lets see how it does against the z51 lingenfelter vette.

an if we are taking modded cars to lets put in the tach art cgt,gembella mirage gt still these cars can take them on an any sti say the rb 320 an wr1 still these cars can take them on.



was staying away but was to tempting.

Last edited by pawan : 20th April 2007 at 22:05.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 22:31   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
the z06 isnt a track bred car rather a street bred car
So are you trying to say, Vetter in either of it's avatars has not seen any track time during development? I seriously doubt that, since even Golfs see some track time during their development.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 22:43   #59
BHPian
 
pawan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: auckland, new zealand
Posts: 867
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
So are you trying to say, Vetter in either of it's avatars has not seen any track time during development? I seriously doubt that, since even Golfs see some track time during their development.
what i am saying is that the car is more of a street car rather than track car it surely would have seen a track during testing.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2007, 22:50   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
ported_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 2,391
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
what i am saying is that the car is more of a street car rather than track car it surely would have seen a track during testing.
Well, that's not what track-bred would mean. Why isn't the CGT a street car? It even has Birch wood on the gear knob.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
corvette zr1 new nurburing track record pawan The International Automotive Scene 29 11th July 2008 20:32
2008 Corvette: New 436hp 6.2L LS3 Engine pawan The International Automotive Scene 15 29th April 2007 21:37
New Pictures after a wash of my C6 Corvette with tints and stripes... 1Day Shifting gears 15 1st June 2006 09:38
The new Chevy Corvette C6 !!! GTO The International Automotive Scene 10 28th March 2004 02:33
1500 bhp Corvette Stratos The International Automotive Scene 8 13th March 2004 18:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks