Old 27th February 2007, 22:15   #1
BHPian

Default Need Help-Buying Sedan ? Camry/Altima/Accord

Hi,
My father needs to purchase a new sedan in Muscat-Here are the options :

1) Toyota Camry
2) Honda Accord
3) Nissan Altima

I rather like the Camry, But he says that it looks like a bigger version of Toyota Yarris and it does not have alloys( As far as I recall, The Camry in India has the Alloys as a standard), Also the 2.5 ltr cc Engine is lower compared with the Accord V6 2.9 ltr cc Engine.

Personally he finds Nissan more attractive, Although My reservation is that I don't know Why see Nissan as a Dying brand after its Patrol days were over.

Honda-I simply don't like the looks of the car, Engine wise I can rate it..although I'm simply prejudiced towards an Honda.

So going by the finer details which would one say is a better buy.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 05:05   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I'd say the Altima...
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Accord V6 2.9 ltr cc Engine.
It's a 3.0 V6 & is a very smooth, powerful engine. I would recommend the cars in the following order:

Honda Accord
Nissan Altima
Toyota Camry (Don't like the looks, somehow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Personally he finds Nissan more attractive, Although My reservation is that I don't know Why see Nissan as a Dying brand after its Patrol days were over.
Well ever since they were taken over by Renault they are doing wonders with their sales & products. I don't think you should undemine them at all.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 14:44   #4
BHPian

hi i just had the opportunity to use both the camry and the altima last week (on a international visit) and found the altima less superior in relation to the camry, if its self drive the camry seems leagues ahead, the altima rear passenger seat is good, camry is better one thing i noticed on the 2006 altima, is it comes with a tape deck??looks wise is camry all the way, the above is just my personal opinion.thanks
TRANSAM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 20:43   #5
BHPian

Thanks Guys, I did concur with my father that the Camry has a Wow factor to it, Lets see what he decides, Have'nt spoken to him yet..!

Ishaan, I do find the Nissan Car good, But since we have owned neither nor know anyone who did, just a block in the head, Although I find the car to be designed and built well..It somehow does not appeal with the Camry, Also the One available in Oman is still the 2006 Edition with the 2.4 Ltr cc engine 185 BHP.

Thanks Transam, It will be self driven..! How comfortable were the two cars behind the wheel, response and all. The one offered in Oman has a 6 CD Mp3 In Dash system from BOSE.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 28th February 2007 at 20:45.
Old 28th February 2007, 21:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

The 2007 Altima if available would have been the best bet.

If the car were to be driven by you then between the accord and the camry it had to be the accord for its engine but since it would end up being driven around by your father think he would not mind the more family car, the camry,and your choice should be the camry for your father.But ask him to give a detailed look at the accord as well since many have actually found the camry too bland for their taste[even the new camry]

BTW is the price differential between the aurion and the camry way too much.Since the Aurion looks a better bet.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 28th February 2007 at 21:37.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 01:21   #7
BHPian

you cant really compare the v6 accord to the non v6 camry and 2.5lt altima. the accord is miles ahead.. but if it was the 3.5SE altima, id go with that.
from your options i too would choose the accord (change the stock tyres )
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 02:58   #8
BHPian

Honda has this nice webpage to do side-by-side compare of competing cars. I plugged in Altima, Camry and Sonata. Check this out
tsxei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 06:19   #9
BHPian

i dont think wolf was looking at the v6 camry and altima.
i made another one
Honda Competitive Comparison: Results Overview
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 19:29   #10
BHPian

Hey dude..we just got a Camry SE in US .. excellent car..we were looking at Camry,Civic and Accord..but decided on the Camry..our family has always bought Toyota vehicles only..except our current vehicle in India,which is NHC CVT..
The Toyota factory-fitted Navigation System on the Camry is excellent..really superb..
Go in for the Camry dude..looks excellent,spacious,excellent engine,excellent safety features and good price.

Cheers,
sr
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 15:05   #11
BHPian

Honda does not have a great presence in Oman, Basically even back in 1989 when I was there it was Toyota's show and Today also its Toyota's show.

Nissan Altima was a niche segment car and unfortunately was not worth the price it was being offered at.

So He has opted for the Top End Camry with Alloys.Incidentally which is working out cheaper than the Altima.
Old 4th March 2007, 20:06   #12
BHPian

Excellent choice.I'm sure he'll enjoy the new ride.
Cheers,
-sr
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2007, 20:37   #13
BHPian

well one of my uncle who stays in muscat had the same doubt he had between the camry and altima at first he wanted a altima then decided to go for the camry and is extremely satisfied with the camry any ways good choice of your dads.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote