Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 6th April 2007, 15:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yup, right comparison there Samurai! JC is just tring to make a car-show entertaining & for that he uses suck extremem comments. If he rated every car as Ok, Good or Great the show wouldn't be half the fun it is now!!

IMHO he rants like an Old British man, let him be & enjoy the show!! That's what he's there for!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 16:42   #32
BHPian

Default It is not funny though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Well, in one particular episode of Top Gear, I think it was the Lamborghini Special from 2004, Jeremy Clarkson called Britain the worst country in the world.
He's also blown up a few Brit cars - including throwing a Jag XJS (my favourite car) from a ship into the sea. So, I really don't think anyone over here or outside should be complaining. The fact remains that JC is the most entertaining and arguably the best TV show host around. Try watching Fifth Gear for a while and see how much it sucks compared to Top Gear.
Seems like this guy is in the habit of overdoing things. Any body can have an opinion and express it, but blowing cars and throwing them in to sea is a little overdone.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 17:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Seems like this guy is in the habit of overdoing things. Any body can have an opinion and express it, but blowing cars and throwing them in to sea is a little overdone.
If it makes for good ENTERTAINMENT why not? Look, these guys are on the business of making a good, enjoyable TV show about cars & if it involves doing some funny & ridiculous antics just to keep the viewers interested then so be it.

I mean if you look at it aren't the Saas, Bahu serials a whole load of crap? But they are still super popular while some people criticise them, it's the same story here.

To each his own & the thing is if you don't like it, don't watch it Simple! I still like & watch it.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 17:19   #34
BHPian

Default another overreaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
If it makes for good ENTERTAINMENT why not? Look, these guys are on the business of making a good, enjoyable TV show about cars & if it involves doing some funny & ridiculous antics just to keep the viewers interested then so be it.

I mean if you look at it aren't the Saas, Bahu serials a whole load of crap? But they are still super popular while some people criticise them, it's the same story here.

To each his own & the thing is if you don't like it, don't watch it Simple! I still like & watch it.
Like he has an opinion and you have one, every one can. I would not take exception to Malaysian reaction, they have a right to critical if they do not like it.

BTW it was off topic to mention I do not have to watch it if I do not like it. I am not seeking any suggestion or help here and that is not the point of discussion.
Old 10th April 2007, 17:35   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whats the big deal? Why does a minister give so much importance to Clarksons statement?

Its his opinion and he is entitled to it.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 18:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Title's too long - all it required was 'Oops JC did it again'
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 19:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

JC has made much more controversial remarks and gotten away with it.

For example in the Top Gear 'America Special' Episode he mentioned that Americans barely have the brains to walk on their back legs and yet were hearing news of Top Gear coming to America.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 20:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Man, why does everyone take the guy so seriously? He's just an entertainer.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 22:03   #39
BHPian

Has any one paid attention to this statement in the news reported by BBC

he said its name was like a disease and suggested it was built in jungles by people who wear leaves for shoes.

Don't we feel offended if similar statements were made about India ?

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2007 at 22:16.
Old 11th April 2007, 01:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Eh, he's already made such statements. He describes badly made things as if they were "put together by an Indian". He describes Americans as inbred and ignorant. Really, lighten up. He's not some representative of the UK. And he calls every fourth car he has ever driven the best-handling car ever. Or the fastest. Or the best. Or something. DO NOT TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 03:46   #41
BHPian

I think steeroids hit the right note on this one..coz its no point discussing this further...
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 11:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whats the big deal? Why does a minister give so much importance to Clarksons statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Title's too long - all it required was 'Oops JC did it again'
The minister is reacting because its bad publicity for his country's car (& industry).

I feel the title of this thread should be: Malaysian car in trouble for Clarkson's remarks.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 12:07   #43
BHPian

[quote=msdivy;411031]The minister is reacting because its bad publicity for his country's car (& industry).

I don't think JC bad mouthing some South Asian car is going to make much difference to its sales anyway... after all, how many people who watch the show will actually go out and buy the car!! And as for bad publicity, I think this is only helping the car's cause rather than making a dent in its image... how many of us even knew about this car before this incident happened?
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 13:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Perodua is a JV between the Malaysian Govt and Daihatsu. Their cars are basically Daihatsus with probably different grilles and badging.

Its not a Malaysian car, technically. I've driven the 'Kancil' model which is very similar to our M800 - these cars are the staple drives for millions of Malaysians.

The minister was probably trying to prevent the 2nd Government-owned company from going down the drain after Proton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
So this is it eh....how do you guys rate it look wise....

The front seems ok...the back...ummmm..
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 13:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

U must watch "TopGear goes to America" episode (available on youtube). The entire crew almost got lynched in Alabama or some place, after they drove thru the state with signs like "Yankees suck" and "Hillary for President" painted on their cars ..Man.. It was hilarious .. As usual, Mr Slow's car refuses to start, when the locals start pelting stones!!
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote