Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 13th April 2007, 23:14   #1
BHPian

Default RENNtech’s 722HP Mercedes-McLaren SLR 722

When Mercedes decided it was time to give the SLR supercar a boost, it created the SLR 722 edition. But don’t for a second think that number has anything to do with the car’s output. In fact, the supercharged 5.5L V8 engine puts out 650hp, a significantly lower figure than its 722 labeling suggests. The odd title comes from the 1955 Mille Miglia, where Stirling Moss and Denis Jenkinson beat out favorites from Porsche and Ferrari to take victory in a Mercedes-Benz 300SLR. The car was wearing the number “722,” which indicated the 7.22am starting time.
At least for the original, the number 722 had some significance, but as RENNtech’s Hartmut Feyhl puts it, “for most people, six-fifty is probably enough but you see that ‘722’ on the car and you start to want seven-hundred and twenty-two horsepower.” Feyhl is a former AMG staffer with over 12 years experience at the famous Mercedes tuner and has since started his own tuning shop, RENNtech performance.
For the extra power, engineers upgraded the stock intercoolers and replaced the intercooler pump with a RENNtech-specific unit that has close to double the capacity of the standard version. Intake temperatures are now 10 degrees Celsius cooler, which meant that boost pressure could be increased and thus the 722hp mark could be achieved. Pity the original propeller-style wheels were swapped with these much more ordinary 20 inchers.

Motor Authority » RENNtech’s 722HP Mercedes-McLaren SLR 722
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 00:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

hate those wheels, love the car, where can i get mine

if i had money enough, this car would be @ RennTech or Brabus whoever is willing to do a RHD version of it and have it as my only car in india..
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 09:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
hate those wheels, love the car, where can i get mine

if i had money enough, this car would be @ RennTech or Brabus whoever is willing to do a RHD version of it and have it as my only car in india..
isnt the european versions rhd and what about the plan of bringing the vette to india.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 10:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
isnt the european versions rhd and what about the plan of bringing the vette to india.
No the SLR is only available as LHD. Don't think the Vette will come either unless they decide to produce RHD version in C7.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 12:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
Well like iraghava pointed out, no RHD version of the SLR...but i think Jim H the guy who made the Ferrari P4/5 said in a PM that any car can be done to RHD if money is no object, i had asked him if pinanfarina was willing to do Enzo RHD and he said yes, but my Q was more for kicks

Anyhow as for the Vette, C7 onwards should be RHD but i want to bring mine(most likely will buy a newer one and mod it in the most appropriate manners) down to india. The only problem is that I dont know when I am coming, if I come now I am all set to bring mine back...already spoke with APS in Austrlia who would hook me up with RHD and Twin Turbos along with very "Euro" Interiors (you know better GT3 styled seats, newer steering wheel etc) but i only need a green signal from the power up above..

cant tell u how badly i am dying to come back and even more so to bring my baby with me..

Last edited by 1Day : 14th April 2007 at 12:13.
Old 14th April 2007, 19:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post

cant tell u how badly i am dying to come back and even more so to bring my baby with me..
let me know when you are shipping your car. We can share the container cause I have some parts in mind(couple of engines, suspension parts, differentials etc) to be shipped back. Lets take this to the PMs if it works out for you.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 14th April 2007 at 20:00.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 21:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well, if you're serious, I'd like to get some stuff from the States down too, so please include me in the PM scene.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 04:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

I will keep both of you in mind when i am making the move but i still dont know when that will be, I really hope its in the next year or so..

Thats the reason I have delayed applying for my greencard all this while and my H1 is coming to an end, this is my subconsious trying to get back home by letting me be lazy about the greencard process..

anyhow i dont know how it will work, since first the car would either ship to Australia or UK depending on who will give me a better price for doing all the modifications..esp the LHD to RHD one..