Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th July 2009, 04:57   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox22 View Post
Repeating a point I made earlier, how many Indians in the US have manual cars? Its not just about being lazy or dumb. You dont have to be extremely smart to drive a manual. Its just practice. An auto is more about convenience. I am sure many people who drive in the cities of India would prefer an auto. And that is probably also the reason you have a lot of elderly people in the US still driving themselves around. Its much easier for them.
Not quite the US, but I live in Canada and drive a Manual transmission. I have absolute hatred for slushboxes and the most I'm willing to settle for is a paddle-shift/dual clutch kind of a thing.

Other than that, the driving experience with a stick shift is way better than an automatic, even if it's a Mercedes AMG.

Do I need to talk on my cellphone while munching a double cheeseburger and talking to my co-passenger while checking out the chick in the next car and thinking about my day at work while I'm driving a slushbox? I don't think so.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 08:33   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Not quite the US, but I live in Canada and drive a Manual transmission. I have absolute hatred for slushboxes and the most I'm willing to settle for is a paddle-shift/dual clutch kind of a thing.

Other than that, the driving experience with a stick shift is way better than an automatic, even if it's a Mercedes AMG.

Do I need to talk on my cellphone while munching a double cheeseburger and talking to my co-passenger while checking out the chick in the next car and thinking about my day at work while I'm driving a slushbox? I don't think so.
I have nothing against manuals. All my cars have been stick shift including the present one. All I am saying is a lot of people including Indians prefer driving automatics. And I am sure they do not all do those things while driving.
equinox22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 01:30   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Good point there, equinox.
Just for stats, if I were to talk about a group of friends here in Houston- between 40-50 families that I'm acquainted with, just 1 other person owns a stick shift,apart from myself.
I've noticed that manuals are more popular in the west coast. My cousin's hubby owned a Integra sedan w/ manual.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 10:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I've noticed that manuals are more popular in the west coast. My cousin's hubby owned a Integra sedan w/ manual.
Could be due to the all year round good weather there. Also the street racing culture exists more there than in other parts.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:13   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive a manual here in USA and in my ofice parking lot I found quite a few cars with manual gears. My manager used to drive a manual cadillac and now drives a manual 5 series. So I think there are quite a few americans who love manual boxes
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 12:01   #66
BHPian

Since majority of the users in US are automatic users, naturally, the resale value and time-to-sell (liquidity) are good for automatic cars. Therefore, more and more people continue to buy automatic cars, even though they know how to drive manual cars.

For some, it is but natural to have automatic transmission. When you have such features in a car - all for convenience sake - automatic (one-touch down/up) and power windows, climate control, power seats, power mirrors, power steering, cruise control - then automatic transmission is yet another convenience.

Lastly, manual transmission is more popular is small sporty cars/brands - bmw (3 and 5 series), audi (mostly a4, s4, tt), acura, mazda, nissan Z, honda civic, etc. That's a very small segment of US auto consumer base. You'll rarely find a full-size sedan (ford taurus, grand marquis, toyota camry, honda accord, etc) driver driving manual.
pachchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 13:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Whats more convenient? The Manual or the Automatic? Isn't it natural for 90% of a Nations population to use whats more convenient?

With the advent of the new gen automatics, like DSG and all even Europe is slowly moving to the automatics.

Even new-gen rally cars dont boast of the traditional HH gate shifters any more.

Although I love my Manual cars.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 14:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Driving a stick is
- Like firing up a kerosene stove instead of a LPG stove.
- Like using a Petromax lamp instead of electric lights.
- Like using a T-Square instead of a Drafter.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 15:46   #69
BHPian

offtopic: Why big cars are sold in US. There is no market for small cars.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 18:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I would put it as using drafting equipment vs using AutoCad.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:10   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Driving a stick is
- Like firing up a kerosene stove instead of a LPG stove.
- Like using a Petromax lamp instead of electric lights.
I would say -
- Like firing up a LPG stove using a standalone lighter instead of the auto lighter.
- Like using electric lights with a switch on and off instead of ones with a remote/sensor.
- Like typing in the commands in AutoCad instead of using the toolbar.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox22 View Post
- Like using electric lights with a switch on and off instead of ones with a remote/sensor.
Oh, Pure ecstacy! The feel you get when your finger hits the switch and the light comes on, where is that involvement when a sensor senses you and turns on the light. Seriously I am not kidding.
Old 21st July 2009, 19:37   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Oh, Pure ecstacy! The feel you get when your finger hits the switch and the light comes on, where is that involvement when a sensor senses you and turns on the light. Seriously I am not kidding.
Honestly, I love flying through the gears on my car. Its one thing that makes the drive to work fun. Especially if I am the first at a red light. While there is a speed limit on the road, there is'nt one for acceleration!

Having said that, there are a lot of people to whom a car is just a tool. And they dont really care about feel and involvement and stuff that makes us petrolheads go weak in the knees. And if you are using a tool, convenience always comes first. But it is my opinion that driving autos makes a lot of people complacent on the roads.
Old 21st July 2009, 19:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

i think its just a POV. If you wish to build a layer of abstraction between you and your machine, kinda like having a dumbwaiter instead of a real waiter to wait on you. or for those who think that the single button on a mouse , just like in a mac is ideal, or would like every machine to be a black box, which you tell things to do, and it does by itself.

I on the other hand, would rather be one with the machine I'm driving, and try to be in control , rather than add another layer of seperation

Kinda like how boeing lets the pilot override the autopilot, and airbus kicks the pilot out of control in case of an emergency
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 03:23   #75
BHPian

It's quite simple really. When I came to the states from India, I too felt this. Then I drove an automatic for the first time. Though it did not give me the thrill of a manual, I have to say it made a 250 mile drive (my first drive here) look like peanuts.
Secondly, the thrill is one aspect which is not a freelance decision like it is India. People actually do follow speed limits and aggressiveness and racing is not tolerated on the roads. So, when you are going to stay within limits might as well get the comfort of driving a car with minimum effort. The system would be a boon to Indian driving conditions such as those in Mumbai; alas the fuel is too expensive there!
In the end, everyone prefers an automatic since that is just way the place functions. Why do you not ask as to why the entire country is driving manuals in India? As sensible it might sound financially, every other aspect has the manual beaten to the automatically!
le_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote