Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 20th April 2007, 19:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

VW Polo is coming to India in the guise of Skoda Fabia. Will Yaris come to India, I have no idea. Probably you can try to hire Polo, Punto or both and let us know your experience of driving them.
Old 20th April 2007, 19:35   #17
BHPian

Finneyp,

The street where photo is taken seems to be familiar.. is it Ringsend Road near Charlotte Key, just outside city center?

About car...
I drove Punto (2002) in Ireland few years back but as I remember it was small and lighter than Palio that is offered in India. In terms of positioning, Punto probably would fall a notch below Palio and not above it and that shouldn't be something to exite about, isn't it?
Old 20th April 2007, 19:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

The day this is launched in India, Fiat has a customer - me. I'll gladly put away my Palio 1.2 for this beauty (albeit after a lot of deliberation). I'm thinking .. metallic dark blue .. fat rubber .. slight tints .. maybe the OEM spoiler .. and yeah .. a monster grin on my face.

Last edited by etchemkay : 20th April 2007 at 19:51.
Old 20th April 2007, 19:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel View Post
Finneyp,
The street where photo is taken seems to be familiar.. is it Ringsend Road near Charlotte Key, just outside city center?

About car...
I drove Punto (2002) in Ireland few years back but as I remember it was small and lighter than Palio that is offered in India. In terms of positioning, Punto probably would fall a notch below Palio and not above it and that shouldn't be something to exite about, isn't it?
Hi Nispatel, yes the earlier version of Fiat Punto may be small & lighter than Palio, but Grande Punto is certainly Well built, has a sleek design, excellent interiors etc, and can be graded as a Premium hatch!

If it is launched in India with 1.4 Petrol and 1.3 Mutlijet diesel, it will surely kill the competition!

Offtopic: the steet is Charleston Road (Ranelagh)!

Last edited by finneyp : 20th April 2007 at 19:47.
Old 20th April 2007, 20:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Let us know if you spot any Linea.. or it hasnt been launched yet?
Old 20th April 2007, 20:10   #21
BHPian

The most important thing i got struck with is its tail lamps. It will keep away two wheelers from scratching against it. All other cars have tail lamps which makes it owners nightmare in traffic jams. They are made to be broken or scratched.

Last edited by swathyd : 20th April 2007 at 20:11. Reason: grammar
Old 20th April 2007, 20:41   #22
BHPian

Fiat and Tata have announced ambitious plans to manufacture cars and engines under a new 50:50 joint venture between the two companies. Fiat's abandoned Ranjangaon plant will be revived as the production base for the new JV which will have an annual capacity of 100,000 cars and 250,000 engines.

The first product of the Fiat - Tata alliance will be the Grand Punto (pictured), a premium hatchback which is expected to be launched in the second half of 2007. The Grand Punto, which is 4030mm long, is expected to be shortened by 30mm so that it can comply with the new small car regulations and take advantage of an 8 percent excise saving.

Fiat is also planning a premium saloon (code D200) which is as big and spacious as the Toyota Corolla. The D200 is being developed on a modified Punto platform especially for emerging markets and India is likely to be a key production base for the saloon in the region.

Fiat and Tata will also produce the 1.3 Multi-jet diesel engine which will power the Grande Punto and the next-generation Indica (code: X1). The shareholder, licensing and other agreements are yet to be finalised but the MOU for Indian operations as well as a study for cooperation in Latin America suggest that this JV aims to maximise the strengths of both companies.

Source:-http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1513
Old 21st April 2007, 08:43   #23
BHPian

Good pics Finney!! It sure looks promising and I am sure that FIAT will be able to make profits out of its Indian segment if it is priced and positioned right! I would like to see the Grande Punto and the Bravo onto the Indian stables as soon as possible.

Rajiv Dubey, the TATA's automotive man!! is pretty agressive and knows how to play his cards. I am sure Grande Punto is a part of his plan. Lets wait and watch.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:25   #24
BHPian

[

The first product of the Fiat - Tata alliance will be the Grand Punto (pictured), a premium hatchback which is expected to be launched in the second half of 2007.

Buddy are you sure of it launch. Was planning to buy swift diesel will wait if this car is going to be launch in second half of 2007 with 1.3 JTD engine.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

The marketability of Grande Punto owners is going to surge thru the roof once it comes here
Old 24th April 2007, 10:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Yes MF, I shot them at Dublin, Ireland!
Arre yaar try not to use short forms to my screen name. MF sounds like a gaali to me and many others .
Old 24th April 2007, 11:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Was looking forward to the Linea myself. But the customer survey held in U.K has Fiat consistently ranked at the bottom (dead bottom) in all aspects. Now how would they improve these when they start producing it in India ? Bottom of rankings among 25 manufacturers is not a comforting feel. The survey was among the drivers.
Old 24th April 2007, 18:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Arre yaar try not to use short forms to my screen name. MF sounds like a gaali to me and many others .
Sorry Moralfibre, I didn't realize that....!
Old 24th April 2007, 18:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nice pix Finney. Have you managed to drive one yet?
Old 24th April 2007, 19:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Not yet TypeO, will do it pretty soon!
Closed Thread