Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 28th April 2007, 10:25   #1
BHPian

Default 2008 Nissan Skyline Coupe

(from Nissan Press Release) Nissan Skyline Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Style and Performance

Tokyo (April 24, 2007) – Nissan Skyline celebrated its 50th anniversary today in grand style at an event held at Tokyo’s new Midtown development. Dating back to 1957, the Skyline is a legendary car in the Nissan line-up with a long heritage of style and performance, beloved by motoring fans all over the world.

Taking this opportunity, Nissan also showed the all-new Skyline Coupe today, making its first appearance in Japan. The new Skyline Coupe is scheduled for release this fall in Japan.

Present at the celebrations were the chief engineers that led the product development of each generation Skyline, including Shinichiro Sakurai, chief development engineer of the first Skyline model. The event featured a film presentation that reflected the evolution of the Skyline design, performance and image throughout the different eras of each generation Skyline.

A fashion show entitled “Skyline GT Collection” was held in commemoration of the anniversary, featuring twelve of today’s most popular fashion models, including Yoko Horiuchi. The models were dressed in specifically designed outfits, inspired by each generation Skyline.

Celebrity guests included musician Joe Hisaishi, actor Ken Watanabe, while major league baseball player Ichiro offered his congratulations via a video message. Each of these celebrities share in a common trait with the Skyline i.e. that they were born in Japan but have since gained fame and recognition in the global arena. Mr. Hisaishi’s latest composition, I Will Be, written for the Skyline’s new TV commercial, was performed for the first time by Mai Hisaishi, who is also featured on the commercial.

The Skyline 50th Anniversary exhibition, featuring each generation Skyline model, will be open to the public at Tokyo Midtown Garden from Tuesday, April 24th to Sunday, May 6th. The new Skyline Coupe and the Skyline GT Collection fashion line will be on exhibit at the Midtown Atrium from Wednesday, April 25th through Sunday, May 6th.

2008 Nissan Skyline Coupe

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th April 2007 at 01:44. Reason: Please rehost images on imageshack etc and NOT hotlink from other websites
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 10:39   #2
Jay
BHPian

It looks somewhat similar to the SC430, well might be only to my eyes...
Would prefer the R34 GTR anyday to this... its looks pretty ok though...
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 10:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Would prefer the R34 GTR anyday to this... its looks pretty ok though...
Exactly what i wanted to say... And i dont like the looks at all..

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 10:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just for clarification this car is NOT the replacement of the R34 Skyline GT-R. This is the new G-range coupe which is badged as Skyline in Japan.

The new one will NOT be badged Skyline, it'll be known only as the GT-R.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 11:24   #5
BHPian

No way close to the Legend of Skyline R34 GTR, looks like a poor compromise.... Wonder why such great cars end in this state... Why can't the manufactures keep the legacy going?
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 11:39   #6
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Just for clarification this car is NOT the replacement of the R34 Skyline GT-R. This is the new G-range coupe which is badged as Skyline in Japan.

The new one will NOT be badged Skyline, it'll be known only as the GT-R.
Hey Ishan, well even though its not a replacement for the R34, What i meant in my post was when you have an option such as the R34 GTR from the same maker one would ( i certainly would ) prefer the R34...
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 16:29   #7
BHPian

you know the car looks good itself but the problem is it doesnt suit with the skyline class, thats why nobody likes it.
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 19:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
you know the car looks good itself but the problem is it doesnt suit with the skyline class, thats why nobody likes it.

Like rags said its not a replacement for the R34. The word "skyline" though is generally linked by many to their iconic 2door R3X versions.

But the skyline family has for a long time consisted of mid-size 4 doors n coupes(badged so in Japan).
Fuelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 20:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

it looks bloated but its an awesome looker on the road and no I wouldnt pick a run of the mill R34 over this..
When i say run of the mill, i meant not the GTR version but the regular 2dr version, skyline had 3 versions 4DR, 2DR and GTR. Now the name skyline no longer associates with the GTR line. They have been seperated, so the new GTR will have its own components and looks whereas this one is totaly different.

This is an awesome looking machinery and i personally would pick this over the boxy looking R34 2DR skyline(mind you I am not talking about the R34-GTR)

Pictures dont do this car justice, it would be the hottest selling model in its class for sure in the US..like its predecessor G35..
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 21:14   #10
BHPian

Its the G coupe as Ishan said...not the answer to the Skyline series.And for a lil more info on the skyline and watch the video for sure...Nissan GT-R Proto | GT-R Proto Forums | R35 V35 GTR | GT-R Proto | 2007 GT-R and it'll be running the VQ series engine the 3.5liter V6 is currently in the murano 266@6k,altima 257@6k,350Z 294@6200.so lets see what the GTR can pull off with the 3.8liter twin turbo as rumored and if its running the auto 4wd mode as the Armada it'll be one spectacular machine.

Last edited by nitroxx : 28th April 2007 at 21:34.
nitroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 21:25   #11
BHPian

Its a G37 Coupe to be precise, successor of G35. Skyline name is being discontinued in US and the new Skyline is instead called GT-R and it looks way better than the G37.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th April 2007 at 01:46. Reason: Please rehost images on imageshack etc and NOT hotlink from other websites
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 23:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Exactly what i wanted to say... And i dont like the looks at all..

Godfather
I'm with you. Looks like a Verna/Tiburon mix - which is good for the Verna/Hyundai and not for a Skyline
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 00:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I'm with you. Looks like a Verna/Tiburon mix - which is good for the Verna/Hyundai and not for a Skyline
Alrighty then
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 02:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Skyline tag has blemishes now. The GTR lives. Let's see what the R35 has to offer...the successor has a lot to live upto...

IMHO, the R35 is ultra-radical; although, I'd rather prefer the Evo X...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 13:31   #15
BHPian

when i see this car the car that comes to my min is infinity.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote