Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 22nd May 2007, 11:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default New X5 caught testing in DXB - No Pics Allowed

Was driving down Sheikh Zayed Road last morning when I noticed a very carefully camouflaged SUV being driven between two Mitsubishi Canter trucks. It looked like it had accident damage, but when I passed it I noticed Blue (temp/export/import) licence plates and a petrol tank cap that seemed RECESSED into the body.

Had to pass the vehicle because it was being driven VERY VERY slowly. Thats when I looked at it in the RVM and noticed that the aluminium mesh grille had something wrong with it, and the headlamps were partially covered with tape.

We slowed down to take a look at the vehicle, and the Canter in front slowed down too. No load on the Canter - this confirmed our suspicion that this was a Road Test of a new vehicle. The two Canters fore and aft of the car were effectively hiding it from traffic and there was no way anyone would notice the car easily.

We pulled up alongside the road (risking the cops) and waited for the slow moving convoy to reach us. The truckdriver in front obviously read our intention and soon the two trucks were virtually sandwiching the car.

Still got another look at the grille and sure enough under the cheap aluminium meshwork we could make out the real grille and it was an unmistakable kidney grille. The rear didnt gel with the pics of the new X5 we'd seen and then we realized the whole rear was a fabricated unit covering the original car with a different profile altogether - this is why the fuel cap was RECESSED.

Nice work! But whats with all this secrecy on a car that has already been reviewed?

Despite the truck drivers we managed to pull up alongside the car and the chap who was driving it looked at us and smiled - I gestured to him in sign language "two figures crossed into an X followed by all five fingers spread like a five" and the chap nodded vigorously. Pulled out my mobile to take a pic and the chap went over to the other side of his leading truck while the trailing truck closed in behind to block us out completely.

Pity. Wanted to see what this was all about - apparently the engine is more powerful than the outgoing one but this is still not a serious 4X4.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd May 2007 at 11:02.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice work there Steer. Would have been nice if your passenger had proceeded to click some snaps while you were driving.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Nice work there Steer. Would have been nice if your passenger had proceeded to click some snaps while you were driving.
My passenger was a 7 year old who had to stay strapped to his seat.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

There is talk of an X7 to hit the Merc GL or it could have been the crossover vehicle planned
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes does not make sense for them to be so secretive about a vehicle unveiled with so much fanfare just a few weeks back.

Could this be the first reported sighting of the X7.Isnt the x7 supposed to be a LWB version of the x5.There is also some rumour doing the rounds that bmw is working on an mpv as well.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Yes does not make sense for them to be so secretive about a vehicle unveiled with so much fanfare just a few weeks back.

Could this be the first reported sighting of the X7.Isnt the x7 supposed to be a LWB version of the x5.There is also some rumour doing the rounds that bmw is working on an mpv as well.
Yeah it was a bit on the longer side, come to think of it.

Maybe the chap nodded vigorously so that I go away with the X5 impression. But if it was the alleged X7, there's nothing exciting about it on the exterior.

I still think it was the X5 undergoing Hot Weather testing before they release it in this market. This is prime market for SUVs - the Land Rover sells its highest numbers in this region. The dealer here has been LR #1 for quite some time, with every brit heading this side wanting to buy their childhood fantasy (which they could never afford at home, so they're no different from us).
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I gestured to him in sign language "two figures crossed into an X followed by all five fingers spread like a five" and the chap nodded vigorously.
Are these truck drivers really knowledgable/interested in the actual names of the test vehicles ?
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

OFF-TOPIC

Quote:
This is prime market for SUVs - the Land Rover sells its highest numbers in this region. The dealer here has been LR #1 for quite some time, with every brit heading this side wanting to buy their childhood fantasy (which they could never afford at home, so they're no different from us).
Al-Tayer motors, if my memory serves me right.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 15:56   #9
BHPian

Isn't there an X6 Sports Coupe SUV crossover being planned? Could it be that?
BEEM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 21:28   #10
BHPian

I never heard of an X7. There is a X5 with third row now and an X6 undergoing testing at nuremburnegern whatever track. The X6 is slightly longer than X5 with a sloping rear, giving it a sports coupe look, and better performance than the X5. Look up edmunds.com for spy pics of the car.

Mod Edit: that's Nürburgring.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd May 2007 at 00:14. Reason: nuremburnegern!
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 14:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

The bmw X7 has so far just been amongst rumours,because it was/is supposed to be a LWB of the X5 that is why the X7 name came up from my side here.

The X6 though longer[and more powerful] than the X5 is supposedly lower than the X5,which I thought steeroid would have noticed had it been the X6.

This is a spy pic of the X6:

more pics + source:
Spycam: BMW X6 - Future & Spied Vehicles - Motor Trend

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 23rd May 2007 at 14:18.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 14:19   #12
BHPian

if it was the x5, there is no reason to hide it that much as its already out in UAE and N.American roads. it could have been the X7 i i think.
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 17:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it was a bit on the longer side, come to think of it.

Maybe the chap nodded vigorously so that I go away with the X5 impression. But if it was the alleged X7, there's nothing exciting about it on the exterior.

I still think it was the X5 undergoing Hot Weather testing before they release it in this market. This is prime market for SUVs - the Land Rover sells its highest numbers in this region. The dealer here has been LR #1 for quite some time, with every brit heading this side wanting to buy their childhood fantasy (which they could never afford at home, so they're no different from us).
Most likely the spotting was of the X6/X7. I do hope the exteriors are better than the new X5 which in my opinion is too samey as that of the Old X5. Seems Bangle has softened (or silenced?!) these days...
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote