Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 5th June 2007, 20:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default The BMW X5 M-Sport

BMW’s X5 range has a new flagship model – the tough-looking 4.8i M Sport.The SUV gets a not-so-subtle Motorsport upgrade including an M Sport body kit and steering wheel, lightweight 19-inch alloys, uprated suspension, grippier leather-wrapped sports seats, high-gloss roof rails and matt aluminium exterior trim. Bigger 20-inch alloys are a further option as is bamboo and poplar internal trim.

The M Sport is powered by BMW’s 4799cc V8. Fitted with Bi-Vanos and Valvetronic, the high-revving unit pushes out 355bhp at 6300rpm and a 350lb ft at 3500rpm – enough to rocket the 2245kg all-wheel-drive X5 to 60mph in 6.5 seconds and onto a 150mph top speed.

Its not a competitor to the ML63 or the Porsche Cayanne Turbo.I dont like the body kit too much.

source:carmagazine.co.uk

MODS

created double thread.please merge with
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...i-m-sport.html (2008 BMW X5 4.8i M Sport)

sorry for the inconvenience

Last edited by merve_extreme : 5th June 2007 at 20:20.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 20:19   #2
BHPian

alloys are nice as always,rear bumper sucks,front one is ok.
payam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 20:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont get the point of a sports SUV unless and until its as capable off-road as the Cayenne.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 20:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont get the point of a sports SUV unless and until its as capable off-road as the Cayenne.
The BMW X5 is more of an SAV than a true SUV,same with the Audi Q7.

The only luxury german SUV's that are capable of going offroad are the Mercedes ML,GL,G and the Porsche Cayenne.
Old 6th June 2007, 01:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post

The only luxury german SUV's that are capable of going offroad are the Mercedes ML,GL,G and the Porsche Cayenne.
And also the Volkswagen Touareg.

Centro-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 01:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The ML class doesn't come with low-range, so it doesn't fall in the same "off-road" context as say, a Land Rover or a Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
And also the Volkswagen Touareg.
which is what the Audi Q7 is based on.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 14:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
The ML class doesn't come with low-range, so it doesn't fall in the same "off-road" context as say, a Land Rover or a Jeep.
ML comes with an optional off-road package.that includes low range,lockable differentials as well as greater height adjustment for the air suspension and also stiffened sump guard.
that makes it a proper off-roader.
The GL has this as standard in the UK and optional in US for ML its optional in both markets.

The Toureg is capable off-road but its not a luxury SUV in the true sense,which i was mentioning.The Q7 though based on the Toureg has lower GC,low approach and departure angles and no lockable differentials and low range.its not as capable.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 6th June 2007 at 14:08.
Old 6th June 2007, 14:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Exactly my point... these are at best quasi SUV's and I dont see the point. What's the point of making a car with high GC and high COG and then try and make it handle as good as a sports saloon?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote