Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th June 2007, 01:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Fiat's new monster diesel.

Look what fiat have done from a 1.9L diesel engine,

Quote:
Featuring Twin Stage Turbo technology, which lifts power to a remarkable 140 kW (188 bhp) and 400 Nm (295 lb ft) of torque from just 1.9 litres, the new engine will become available in two versions, one with 132 kW (177 bhp), which FPT will make available to customers outside the Fiat Group, as well as Fiat Group brands, and a higher performance 140 kW (188 bhp) version, which will remain the preserve of the Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia brands.
Quote:
The twin turbo set-up has enabled Fiat Powertrain Technologies to achieve remarkable performance. 221lb/ft of torque is produced from as little as 1250rpm, which means that significant acceleration is available even when the engine is doing little more than ticking over.
There will be two versions. One has a maximum of 177bhp, and Fiat will be making that one available to other manufacturers. Its 188bhp counterpart will remain strictly in-house, and be fitted only to Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia models.

Production of the 177bhp JTD M will start next month at Fiat's Pratola Serra engine plant. The 188bhp version will be launched in June 2008.
If only one of the these made it here,great work fiat.Fiat truly is the king of diesel's.The end of the petrol era.

Source:
High-Performance Fiat Diesel | Road Tests, Auto Features
+
Fiat unveils new high performance diesel
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 03:42   #2
BHPian

that sounds yummy.. how about this..that crazy 188 bhp engine in a swift.. lol.. now that would be a HOT HOT hatch..
Deepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 08:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
If only one of the these made it here,great work fiat.Fiat truly is the king of diesel's.The end of the petrol era.
FIAT is truly the king of diesels. If only they knew how to sell them too. (while others like Maruti are benefiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepz View Post
that sounds yummy.. how about this..that crazy 188 bhp engine in a swift.. lol.. now that would be a HOT HOT hatch..
1.9L in the Swift? I dont think so!

1.9L, 177 bhp, 400 Nm, in the Suzuki SX4. oh! yaaaa.... Where is the cheque book?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 09:52   #4
BHPian

If Fiat were to launch the 1.9 with the twin-turbo here in India, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, never mind my current misgivings about being a Fiat customer.

With production just about beginning in Italy for the 177bhp engine, it would seem unlikely that we'd see this engine in India anywhere in the near future (although I'd love to be proven wrong!).

And yeah, I'd love to see this engine in a SX4 too. But with GM's divestment of their stake in Fiat and Fiat's reported sale of their stake in GM to a US investment bank could mean the end of technology transfer that will trickle down to Maruti.

Are we likely to see anything larger than the 1.3 JTD engine from Maruti anytime soon?
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 11:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
Are we likely to see anything larger than the 1.3 JTD engine from Maruti anytime soon?
Maruti has the rights for the previous 1.9 JTD right? The one without twin turbo?

Heard that the Grand Vitara is going to be launched with the 1.9 DDiS with 130bhp (Check the Vitara thread)
Old 17th June 2007, 11:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But with GM's divestment of their stake in Fiat and Fiat's reported sale of their stake in GM to a US investment bank could mean the end of technology transfer that will trickle down to Maruti.
Gm still has ownership of the JTD engines even after exiting from fiat,though it seems fiat have a say on which engines gm can use.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 11:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Give Magnum a company. Give SX4 the diesel.

Just read that the Liana has a 120bhp turbo Petrol engine and hope they bring it with a good diesel too.

Last edited by jkdas : 17th June 2007 at 11:23.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 12:42   #8
BHPian

How about this twin turbo in Linea, I am running to get my cheque book too. I am a little skeptical even the 150 BHP diesel makes it to India.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 13:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

This technology will drive lot many SUVs in 2008 and 2009. Look out for Lot of Sub 10 Lakh SUVs from Maruti/Fiat/Tata with this engine.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 13:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

Fiat is willing to license only the 177bhp version. The 188 will only remain a preserve of the Fiat group cars.

However I do not think for a new gen, high performance diesel the costs are anything that will make sense for the Indian car scene. For a sub-10 lakh car/SUV the cost of such an engine option will work out too high. I frankly do not see this engine coming in anytime within the next 3 years at the very least.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 13:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yeah.
And it will take 3 YEARS after booking to get a car with that engine.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2007, 15:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Fiat is willing to license only the 177bhp version. The 188 will only remain a preserve of the Fiat group cars.

However I do not think for a new gen, high performance diesel the costs are anything that will make sense for the Indian car scene. For a sub-10 lakh car/SUV the cost of such an engine option will work out too high. I frankly do not see this engine coming in anytime within the next 3 years at the very least.
How about an SUV in the class of the Grand Vitara? Specs till are good in that segment too, right?