Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 19th March 2004, 00:17   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This "Bus", as everyone calls it, was [and still is] one of my VWs of all times. The VW T2. The first time I actually met the car was for my bro's christening. That was in 1984. We had a Premier Padmini then. For the christening and baptism we had lots of guests. As we couldnt take all of them in one car, my dad asked a friend if he cud use his T2 for a day. The moment I saw the VW T2, i fell in love with it. In the milk white color, it looked perfect for the occassion. The sad part was that I never got to sit in it. The car was then handed back to my dads friend. I never got to see it for many years. Then suddenly after a few years I started seeing this orange/white T2 almost everyday. A very well maintained VW T2 owned by a comedian actor. I dont remember his name. It was something like Pental. Thats what my dad told me. And his Bus was amazing. Very clean and the orange/white paint was superb. I used to just stare at his bus. It was amazing. Its been more than 7-8 years that I havent seen a single VW Bus. I had almost forgotten about it, when i just seen a pic of it on a site.

The orange/white combi.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2004, 00:20   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

::
Old 19th March 2004, 00:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

no doubt V12, i love the VW minibus. i had the chance of getting a ride in one my self. it wasn't the T2 transporter pictured here, but it was called the called the Super Deluxe 21, because it actually had 21 windows. including the skyroof. it was amazing. the aircooled boxer engine at the back nicely chugging along, probably had the longest ever propeller shaft in history.:: and it was in pristine condition. there was so much space in the bus. and after that a ride in myfriend's qualis suddenly felt a little claustrophobic. also may i add the largest sunroof ever too. i could go on all day about the minibus. i am absolutely awestruck by german engineering.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2004, 00:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

pal, i second that. If you've read up what Srinivas Krishnan has written about it in BSM this month, you'll know the genesis of this great vehicle.

Damn, cant believe that something we as kids draw so often can actually become a vehicle and a cult one at that.

Revv

P.S. i have a dinky omnibus that still looks so much hotter than the Maruti Vers(h)a
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2004, 01:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Another cult classic . I love the VW minibus. Been around me all my childhood I even had it as a school bus in Dubai. And hey Revv I had an orange dinky too by majorette

Cheers
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2004, 02:11   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey V12,

This vehicle has such a strong following in the US, all my surfer friends in California swore by it. In fact go to any beach in L.A. or San diego and you will see the VW bus in each and every funky colour possible...and with loads of bikinis around it

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2004, 02:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dippy pal, mine is a red Hot-wheels. The one where the sun-roof is removable. Do you also have one with a removable sun-roof?

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2004, 00:16   #8
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Evolved Bus :

And what wud u call this VW within VW.