Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2012, 13:33   #106
BHPian
 
ajman28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 277
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson against the whole world[compilation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
People have been watching TC for several decades now and only now has it devolved into a biased showcase for the bygone era of British motoring authority.

I know it's meant for entertainment under the guise of misinformation but frankly all I want is unbiased reviews especially when it comes to the race track.
If you require unbiased reviews, I don't think you are going to have much luck in finding them, especially on television. There are hardly any (or none) standalone TV channels which are operating independant of ad revenues, and once ads are the source of your income, then it's natural that you bend to some form of bias or other.

Regarding the evolution of TG, we used to watch the show on BBC news channel during the 90's and now we have it on BBC entertainment! Why do you think the switch took place?
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 06:33   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 141
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson against the whole world[compilation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
If you require unbiased reviews, I don't think you are going to have much luck in finding them, especially on television. There are hardly any (or none) standalone TV channels which are operating independant of ad revenues, and once ads are the source of your income, then it's natural that you bend to some form of bias or other.

Regarding the evolution of TG, we used to watch the show on BBC news channel during the 90's and now we have it on BBC entertainment! Why do you think the switch took place?
I don't think the channel it's on is an indicator of the integrity of the show. BBC could have changed it because of the immense popularity and the fact that they wanted a more laser focused news channel portfolio. So that has nothing to do with it. Or maybe they did it to enhance their entertainment channel portfolio.

Yes I agree that modern day commercialism and channel economics dictate the content of a lot of tv shows if not all of them. I agree. But my problem is with TG being unreasonably biased at times. And this is not my view alone. Go to umpteen forums on the web and you will find people mirroring my views. so much so that TG, despite being perhaps the ,out popular automotive tv show, is not considered a good or accurate source of information by most people when going in for their purchase decisions.

Now their magazine definitely has better content then their tv show.
Zkalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 16:07   #108
BHPian
 
Shivank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chandigrh/Noida
Posts: 322
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson against the whole world[compilation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
Yes I agree that modern day commercialism and channel economics dictate the content of a lot of tv shows if not all of them. I agree. But my problem is with TG being unreasonably biased at times. And this is not my view alone. Go to umpteen forums on the web and you will find people mirroring my views. so much so that TG, despite being perhaps the ,out popular automotive tv show, is not considered a good or accurate source of information by most people when going in for their purchase decisions.

Now their magazine definitely has better content then their tv show.
I don't think they are unreasonably biased; it all has to do with Great Britain and its lost glory. And that's when the show or presenters start to irk me, when they talk about Britain and its achievements incessantly. It's no brainer why they are so much into Aston Martins, Jaguars, Range Rover, Noble and Spitfires etc. etc. They love their wonderful past and that's that.

Car reviews-accurate or not, Top Gear show still remains my first choice when it comes for a car review. And because most of the cars they review are out of the reach of 90% of the audience, it makes no sense to crib (barring the remaining 10%).

The other way out is, either one should stop watching the show or start accepting it the way it is, i.e., entertainment show where cars are used as props.

And, BTW, we are off-topic again, aren't we?
Shivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 18:25   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 141
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson against the whole world[compilation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
I don't think they are unreasonably biased; it all has to do with Great Britain and its lost glory. And that's when the show or presenters start to irk me, when they talk about Britain and its achievements incessantly. It's no brainer why they are so much into Aston Martins, Jaguars, Range Rover, Noble and Spitfires etc. etc. They love their wonderful past and that's that.

Car reviews-accurate or not, Top Gear show still remains my first choice when it comes for a car review. And because most of the cars they review are out of the reach of 90% of the audience, it makes no sense to crib (barring the remaining 10%).

The other way out is, either one should stop watching the show or start accepting it the way it is, i.e., entertainment show where cars are used as props.

And, BTW, we are off-topic again, aren't we?
Honestly if one thinks TG reviews are the most reliable then one needs to open ones horizons. There are other respected publications that do a far better job IMO.

Just because one grows up eating Cadbury's chocolates doesn't mean that once you eat Godiva you won't know the difference. Point is TG being most widely watched show doesnt make it the best in the same way that McDonalds selling the most hamburgers doesn't mean they serve the best hamburgers.

Last edited by Zkalra : 15th April 2012 at 18:28.
Zkalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 21:59   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
Glad that you still remember the episode. I remember another one in the same series where he has shown the delivering of an Ambassador to a customer who does the customary Pooja before driving off.
I remember that one too. JC was a wild boy on those 90's TG shows wasn't he?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 02:00   #111
BHPian
 
Kwanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TN/KL/Nairobi
Posts: 43
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson against the whole world[compilation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Glad that you still remember the episode. I remember another one in the same series where he has shown the delivering of an Ambassador to a customer who does the customary Pooja before driving off.
Can I know which series/episode this is?
Would love to watch them! Ardent JC fan
Kwanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 14:29   #112
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,735
Thanked: 3,119 Times
Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson against the whole world[compilation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanza View Post
Can I know which series/episode this is?
Would love to watch them! Ardent JC fan
I guess this is the episode, Motorworld - India.
http://www.123video.nl/playvideos.asp?MovieID=553993
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 12:08   #113
BHPian
 
sathya.bhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: KA03/KA19/KA01
Posts: 96
Thanked: 154 Times
Smile Lunch with the FT: Jeremy Clarkson (An interesting Interview)

The most Loved/Hated petrol head Jeremy Clarkson of TopGear fame sit and a lunch with Financial Times. The interview is quite funny and nicely written.

Link to the interview

I have selected some excerpts from the interview which I found interesting.

"Here are a few facts to set against the tabloid tramp. He(Jeremy) has very good manners. He loves birds. He likes quite a few politicians. He believes British mainline trains are terrific. He can tell the difference between a mute swan and a whooper swan. He loves the London Eye and the Hoover Dam. He’s an accomplished deipnosophist. He co-owns a thousand-acre farm in the Cotswolds that stages the worst shoot in England"

Contrary to caricature, he is rather affectionate about the BBC and spoke warmly of numerous figures in its senior management. But he’s enjoying freedom from the diktats of the corporation’s editorial policy department. (“Amazon’s on the internet, and people **** horses on the internet, so anything less than that is bound to be all right.”)

One more information about the new show on Amazon was also confirmed

It has no name so far, though he claims they have ruled out Gear Knobs and House of Cars.
sathya.bhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeremy Clarkson in the News again!! Stratos The International Automotive Scene 28 13th March 2015 13:38
Thing That Would Make Jeremy Clarkson Cry!! R32_GTR The International Automotive Scene 18 30th October 2011 11:01
The people V/S Jeremy Clarkson sajo Shifting gears 79 23rd December 2005 13:51
Jeremy Clarkson : Bugatti Veyron Test for Times Online SPEED_DEMON82 The International Automotive Scene 26 5th December 2005 16:47
Jeremy Clarkson returns his Ford GT!!! ajmat Shifting gears 15 3rd October 2005 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:10.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks