Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


View Poll Results: Which one would you go for??
Audi 31 17.22%
BMW 94 52.22%
Mercedes Benz 38 21.11%
Lexus 17 9.44%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2007, 21:59   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Infinity and Acura are just premium brands of Nissan and Honda, what makes Lexus in this list is that they have actually decided to take on the Germans on their playing feild. I was surprised to see, in Frankfurt airport recently, posters of Lexus cars only. I absolutely agree, take the ES out (which is a Camry) and then see the line-up. Infinity is more of a single model line up the skyline based G-series, thats all. Acura, the less spoken off the better.
while I will want to agree with you on the acura part, Infiniti is in a different league. Even before CR-V's and Outlanders could think of being stylish, there always was the FX. And The G's are giving such competiton to the beemers, its better to watch them side to side on road. And you may confuse a lexus with another car but its sure difficult to do it with Infiniti.

And you didnt see infiniti poster in frankfurt because Infiniti has been as US only brand until now. They have recently started to sell in other countries.


Some links to help you out.

Infiniti M Vs. Lexus GS - Forbes.com

Video: 2007 BMW 335i vs 2008 Infiniti G37

2006 Lexus GS 430 vs. 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport - Japanese Car Comparison - Motor Trend

2004 Midsize Luxury V8 SUVs Comparison Test

Comparison Test: 2007 BMW 335i vs. 2008 Infiniti G37
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 00:35   #77
BHPian
 
markiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 183
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I agree with you. HOWEVER, Character is no good if your car gives you a whole lot of trouble after you shell out that extra money for it. Try owning any of those german cars (especially audi and merc) and you would know what i'm talking about.
That might be true, but if I can afford one of the 3, I would surely have a few other cars as back up, so I have no qualms
markiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 00:41   #78
BHPian
 
highwayblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago/Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 771
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
That might be true, but if I can afford one of the 3, I would surely have a few other cars as back up, so I have no qualms
So you're saying its OK for an expensive german car to break down because you will have something for back up anyway? Thats absolute "you know what".

I'm sorry to sound like that ...but I SIMPLY DONOT buy the fact that you'll already have several cars before buying a BMW that too a 3 series??
A lot of my friends here have only one car. One BMW , One Mercedes, One Audi. If you've shelled out the money you want that car to deliver and not just give a lame german badge excuse. Just being a german car is no excuse for poor reliability.

Not that I hate german vehicles. I love Porsche's whether or not they're reliable (. Its just that I don't buy your argument of having several cars before buying a "3" series???

Last edited by highwayblaze : 28th July 2007 at 00:54.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 02:14   #79
BHPian
 
markiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 183
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
So you're saying its OK for an expensive german car to break down because you will have something for back up anyway? Thats absolute "you know what".
Take a chill pill, thats what your signature says right

Many of the people here would be practical guys and probably go for the most reliable car (maybe a Lexus). However many would still go for a "german" car even though it may not be as good in terms of reliability. Purely a matter of choice.

I would equate it as Heart Vs Mind.

Last edited by markiv : 28th July 2007 at 02:16.
markiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 02:34   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
Take a chill pill, thats what your signature says right

Many of the people here would be practical guys and probably go for the most reliable car (maybe a Lexus). However many would still go for a "german" car even though it may not be as good in terms of reliability. Purely a matter of choice.

I would equate it as Heart Vs Mind.
So what is your point?

You love German cars and have backup.
You love German cars and want them to be reliable.
You dont love German cars because recently they have these problems and want to buy Lexus.


@highwayblaze , in India a person being able to afford BMW will have not just one but many previous cars doing the grocery/school duty. Unlike the developed world where a BMW or Merc is looked at as just another expensive car. In my opinion, to arrive at a similar scenario in US, double the price of the respective car as available in US and then see the owner profile of the cars available in those brackets.

Last edited by 1100D : 28th July 2007 at 02:39.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 10:32   #81
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
Take a chill pill, thats what your signature says right

Many of the people here would be practical guys and probably go for the most reliable car (maybe a Lexus). However many would still go for a "german" car even though it may not be as good in terms of reliability. Purely a matter of choice.

I would equate it as Heart Vs Mind.
Who says German cars aren't reliable. Just because the Lexus is a Toyota doesn't mean it's more reliable than the Bimmer. You should check out some of the ownership reports on the 3 and 5 series.
Also, BMW is the only company in the world where they design a car around a driver, not the other way round. No nonsense RWD and AWD which only concentrate on one thing, driving pleasure.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 12:12   #82
BHPian
 
markiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 183
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So what is your point?

You love German cars and want them to be reliable.
YES SIR! And they ARE reliable from what I have heard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Who says German cars aren't reliable.
NOT ME! But some of the folks say that Lexus are more reliable. Everyones entitled to their opinion I say.
markiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 22:30   #83
BHPian
 
vishnuvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin
Posts: 173
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I voted for BMW. If I had the money, I would have bought myself a BMW M5.

I used to love the old Audis. But now, I don't like the way they look with there goatee bearded front grills.

Same with the Mercedes. I only like old Mercedes, you know box shaped ones like the W124.

I don't know much about Lexus cars.
vishnuvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 20:12   #84
BHPian
 
highwayblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago/Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 771
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Who says German cars aren't reliable. Just because the Lexus is a Toyota doesn't mean it's more reliable than the Bimmer. You should check out some of the ownership reports on the 3 and 5 series.
Also, BMW is the only company in the world where they design a car around a driver, not the other way round. No nonsense RWD and AWD which only concentrate on one thing, driving pleasure.
Dude dont talk about ownership reports. I've seen owners them selves complain and whine about german cars. I HAVE A GERMAN CAR. Its UNRELIABLE aswell and i'm okay with it because I wanted this car only. "REPORTS" dont include ALL owners. Unhappy owners "some report" some dont'. Those that don't merely get pissed and trade their car in for something better or live with it.
Now you might probably say "well since i've got an unreliable german car its my bad luck or whatever but its not just me son. its almost everone around here who's complaining.

Last edited by highwayblaze : 30th July 2007 at 20:16.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 07:09   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Dude dont talk about ownership reports. I've seen owners them selves complain and whine about german cars. I HAVE A GERMAN CAR. Its UNRELIABLE aswell and i'm okay with it because I wanted this car only. "REPORTS" dont include ALL owners. Unhappy owners "some report" some dont'. Those that don't merely get pissed and trade their car in for something better or live with it.
Now you might probably say "well since i've got an unreliable german car its my bad luck or whatever but its not just me son. its almost everone around here who's complaining.
Well I was talking about both the good and the bad ones. Something like edmunds.com.
Also, although I have great respect for VW's and won't mind owning one, but dude, we are talking about Bimmers and Mercs here. Not Volkswagen. Of course they are unreliable. Almost 50% of my friends who have owned a Jetta (it's a very popular student car here) have told me time and again never to buy one, because of it's unreliablity. One of them sold his 2-3 year old Jetta and went for a 5 year old Subaru wagon. And he's never had any problems with the Subaru yet.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 09:50   #86
BHPian
 
highwayblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago/Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 771
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Not Volkswagen. Jetta (it's a very popular student car here) have told me time and again never to buy one, because of it's unreliablity. One of them sold his 2-3 year old Jetta and went for a 5 year old Subaru wagon. And he's never had any problems with the Subaru yet.
dude i know we're talking about BMW's and Mercedes and i mentioned about my buddies who have owned audi' bmw and mercedes as well and they've had issues i tell you. except for one friend who has an e36 bmw 318 from 1993 which has been running solid forever. the newer ones have a truckload of problems is what i'm saying.
bottomline is lexus is moving upwards while the so called solid german reliability has gone down.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 16:10   #87
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,847
Thanked: 7,246 Times
Default

True. VW built its reputatuion on solidity, quality, reliability. But they didn't maintain it, leaving themselves selling over-price cars that are not as well built as the older ones.

But the group marketing is good: I still hanker after an audi!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 23:32   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

VW-AUDI group actually made the lambo's being counted as superbly built. Now that is a compliment for sure.

Its the result of the use of most audi parts.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 23:42   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
merve_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Take the name Lexus and the reliability saga follows.Lexus is reliable,but its not like the German 3 build cars that stop after every 100mts.Every Lexus fan says that the german cars are stranded by the road side,it is not a fact.The reliablity factor is blow out of proportion.

For example a lexus has 2 problems/year and Merc has 4/year then % wise it is 100% less reliable and thats what makes it look more bad than it actually is.

Mercedes with the new S has started its return to glory and i'm sure the other 2 are not far behind.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 14:53   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,398 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Take the name Lexus and the reliability saga follows.Lexus is reliable,but its not like the German 3 build cars that stop after every 100mts.Every Lexus fan says that the german cars are stranded by the road side,it is not a fact.The reliablity factor is blow out of proportion.

For example a lexus has 2 problems/year and Merc has 4/year then % wise it is 100% less reliable and thats what makes it look more bad than it actually is.
What you also have to consider is that parts for the Lexus are far cheaper than the astronomical prices of Merc / BMW. I am not talking only about India, but from first-hand experience in the States.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mercedes, Audi closing gap to BMW. BMW still no.1 though Tushar The International Automotive Scene 3 17th October 2017 16:02
Lexus over a BMW/Merc? karpusv The Indian Car Scene 70 29th September 2011 11:30
Which 1 of these mid level supercars float ur boat? (Lexus LF-A, Audi R8, Nissan GTR) 1Day The International Automotive Scene 17 25th January 2007 01:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks