Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

View Poll Results: Which one would you go for??
Audi 31 17.22%
BMW 94 52.22%
Mercedes Benz 38 21.11%
Lexus 17 9.44%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd August 2007, 16:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you also have to consider is that parts for the Lexus are far cheaper than the astronomical prices of Merc / BMW. I am not talking only about India, but from first-hand experience in the States.
Yes that is true but that doesn't equate to reliability issues,which IMO are blown out of proportion.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:41   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes that is true but that doesn't equate to reliability issues,which IMO are blown out of proportion.
Reminds me. The owner of a Merc dealership from Mumbai took his brand new S350 out to Panchgani for the weekend. Family happy, safe touring, turning heads everywhere.

Until the air suspension collapsed in Mahabaleshwar.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:27   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reminds me. The owner of a Merc dealership from Mumbai took his brand new S350 out to Panchgani for the weekend. Family happy, safe touring, turning heads everywhere.

Yeah but given the road conditions etc do you think any other similar car would have suffered a better fate.

We mostly know about Mercs because they are vastly used in India and more owners actually put them to use. How many of the other Luxo marque owners take their rides to anything apart from the nearby "club".
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:39   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The W220 or W221 ?
I've never heard of air suspension problems on the W221.what was the cause?
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 01:17   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
VW-AUDI group actually made the lambo's being counted as superbly built. Now that is a compliment for sure.

Its the result of the use of most audi parts.
Dude initial build quality is totally different from reliability although it may factor towards reliability but they're different. I dont know if anyone agrees I sure think that way. I've seen it with my own eyes.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:34   #96
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Yeah but given the road conditions etc do you think any other similar car would have suffered a better fate.
Actually, the Mumbai - Panchgani drive is one of the best in the country. Superb roads with a divider all through. Makes for an enjoyable drive.

Also, Mercedes once was known to take abuse with nary a complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
The W220 or W221 ?
I've never heard of air suspension problems on the W221.what was the cause?
W221. This happened shortly after launch. Not aware of the cause.
Old 3rd August 2007, 14:50   #97
Senior - BHPian

Expected the 'merc superbrand' to trounce everything in sight on this poll. Rather surprised to find the ultimate driving brand leading this one. Lexus is still seen as a re-badged Toyota in India. The present generation cars from Lexus are up there with the best of what the germans have to offer.

In more advanced markets, Lexus sits on top of every customer satisfaction survey/study. Cracking the Indian market will be a tough one though...
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 22:02   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, the Mumbai - Panchgani drive is one of the best in the country. Superb roads with a divider all through. Makes for an enjoyable drive.

Also, Mercedes once was known to take abuse with nary a complaint.
In that case, pardon my ignorance. However, would like to know, how had the car been used previous to this in terms of roads driven on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
In more advanced markets, Lexus sits on top of every customer satisfaction survey/study. Cracking the Indian market will be a tough one though...
Not anymore, the Germans are on their way to reclaiming whats rightfully theirs.
Old 4th August 2007, 02:30   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Not anymore, the Germans are on their way to reclaiming whats rightfully theirs.
You have to "WALK" the walk before you "TALK" the talk.
THats what they'll have to do. Show the reliability for the price.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 02:52   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
You have to "WALK" the walk before you "TALK" the talk.
THats what they'll have to do. Show the reliability for the price.
They had already shown pre-1995ish what were the reliability benchmarks for the Japanese to follow.

I was surprised at the results when I took my 1994 car (a W124) for state inspections, maybe it was a well kept car but when I asked the inspector about whether he too is surprised at the results, he simply answered back " Oh its an old Mercedes!" Then went on to say how bullet proof Bimmers and Mercs used to be, till the point they started manufacturing them differently so that they could sell them cheaper and thus sell more. So now they are integrating some of the old school processes with the newer cost reducing measures. Infact if you see the duration of the prototype testing these german cars are again going through, you'll know that they are serious about getting back. However spares costs are actually something to still ponder about.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th August 2007 at 02:54.
Old 4th August 2007, 03:03   #101
BHPian

For me it would have to be a BMW! It is the ultimate driving machine out of the available choices. I was a huge MB fan till I drove a few beemers! No matter how powerful Mercedes makes it's cars, they will never ever match the driving pleasure provided by BMW's! I feel lexus is not a strong contender in this battle as BMW and Mercedes try to offer the perfect mix of comfort versus driving pleasure whereas lexus concentrates only on the luxury part. Oh and the M5 and M3 account for 80% of my liking of BMW :-) I still love the SL and CLS no doubt!
Ferrarimaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 03:11   #102
BHPian

I do not understand one thing: Why is Lexus able to sell cars for cheap compared to German cars? Quality of the material used, interiors, convenience features and performance all match that of German cars except that Lexus doesn't have the same racing history that these germans have. So what gives?
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 03:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I do not understand one thing: Why is Lexus able to sell cars for cheap compared to German cars? Quality of the material used, interiors, convenience features and performance all match that of German cars except that Lexus doesn't have the same racing history that these germans have. So what gives?
R&D expenses on Innovative features, which appear later on the others.
Old 4th August 2007, 04:56   #104
BHPian

Id like the E class..i just love tht car.....
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 09:43   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

In that case, pardon my ignorance. However, would like to know, how had the car been used previous to this in terms of roads driven on?
Almost brand new W221 with hardly any km on the odo.