Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 30th July 2007, 00:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

180 Bhp?? Mahindra's new 2.2 L Eagle engine for India is slated to churn out a measly 120 in comparison :(

Source:
Mahindra Newsletter

Wonder why they don't even give us the option of the more powerful engine...
But yea, I'm proud to see an Indian truck/SUV make its way into America. I think it's offering a good deal more features than some of the established players (Hyundai, Kia adopted similar tactics when they started off in the US).
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 02:07   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
180 Bhp?? Mahindra's new 2.2 L Eagle engine for India is slated to churn out a measly 120 in comparison :(

Source:
Mahindra Newsletter

Wonder why they don't even give us the option of the more powerful engine...
I guess some of it has to do with keeping the costs low (so no 6-speeder auto tranny, no high power engines) and the rest has to do with striking a balance between performance and FE. Out here the FE part plays a major role in any vehicle segment. Even the gas guzzler SUVs are supposed to be frugal here Lol.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 10:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

The extra horses for Foreign specs is achieved thru VGT which I dont think will be available in Indian application.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 10:46   #34
VMG
BHPian

Great news! Congrats to M & M.
VMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 12:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I guess some of it has to do with keeping the costs low (so no 6-speeder auto tranny, no high power engines) and the rest has to do with striking a balance between performance and FE. Out here the FE part plays a major role in any vehicle segment. Even the gas guzzler SUVs are supposed to be frugal here Lol.
I still think they can offer it as an option... limited variant, or maybe even by special order only. Somewhat like the customized Scorpios and Boleros that they build on order.
Since the eninges are (presumably) being manufactured in India, this should not really be a huge problem.
Old 30th July 2007, 21:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still think they can offer it as an option... limited variant, or maybe even by special order only. Somewhat like the customized Scorpios and Boleros that they build on order.
Since the eninges are (presumably) being manufactured in India, this should not really be a huge problem.
Thats even better. Dont offer the 180 bhp to everyone, but only to those who know as an option. Is "someone" reading?!!
Old 30th July 2007, 21:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Thats even better. Dont offer the 180 bhp to everyone, but only to those who know as an option. Is "someone" reading?!!
This is something that is not new to Mahindra. Take their customizing wing as an example. How many people know about it? They don't actively advertise it except maybe in auto shows. There is a website, but hardly anyone knows about it.
If the 180 bhp was introduced as a custom-made option, I'm sure the marketing and sales boys at M&M will find a way to make it know to junta... if they really want to sell it. Else, people like us would find out sooner or later. It would be a niche product anyway. Let word of mouth work for them...
Old 30th July 2007, 21:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is something that is not new to Mahindra. Take their customizing wing as an example. How many people know about it? They don't actively advertise it except maybe in auto shows. There is a website, but hardly anyone knows about it.
If the 180 bhp was introduced as a custom-made option, I'm sure the marketing and sales boys at M&M will find a way to make it know to junta... if they really want to sell it. Else, people like us would find out sooner or later. It would be a niche product anyway. Let word of mouth work for them...
But I guess the custom wing was well publicised thru auto mags. Remember the Modded Scorps and Bolero's. They even had a MTV style contest awarding custom Scorpio. Only thing is that most of the custom stuff was limited tothe cosmetic stuff rather than the mechanical aggregates.

As for me the Custom Invader is a huge prospect, but does it come with the right powerplant?
Old 30th July 2007, 22:09   #39
BHPian

Was wondering how it will compare against modern trucks like these.

Can Scorpio haul cargo like that? Mahindra probably didnt even perform testing on trailor cargo.
eflanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 23:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker View Post

Can Scorpio haul cargo like that? Mahindra probably didnt even perform testing on trailor cargo.
Not needed. Mahindra is not targeting this segment of weekend haulers. But the Ranch owners who would love to have a cheap machine do the actual Donkey work, cos the vehicle in the above segment isn't expected to get its hands dirty.
Old 30th July 2007, 23:10   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The extra horses for Foreign specs is achieved thru VGT which I dont think will be available in Indian application.
I doubt VGT does anything to improve peak horsepower. Its for reducing turbo lag right?
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 23:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I doubt VGT does anything to improve peak horsepower. Its for reducing turbo lag right?
Right but then some high capacity turbo's cannot be installed in normal applications because of the inherent high rpm operation.

Thats why we use twin or tri turbos wherein you have turbos being kicked off in stages. But with VGT, it actually reduces turbo lag on high capacity turbines at lower rpms. So in essence it tries to address two birds with one stone (instead of going the costlier twin turbo route)
Old 31st July 2007, 00:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mahindra probably didnt even perform testing on trailor cargo.
You, sir, have taken the award for the most arbitrary statement of the day. Who in the hell launches a product today without knowing all of its intended modes of operation?
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 00:56   #44

Quote:

I wouldn't call the Honda Ridgeline a "truck" by pickup standards. It is not really a heavy duty vehicle. It is based on the same platform as the Honda Pilot SUV and Honda Odyssey Van. The max towing capacity is 5000 lbs. which is a joke for most pickup buyers in the States. Most people who need a truck for towing will buy a heavy duty truck. The Ridgeline does the job for what it it is, a light duty, comfort oriented pickup.

The Mahindra is not going to be in the same segment. That is not where it's strengths lay. It is going after the farmers and other people who need a strong, dependable small-sized work truck at a very reasonable price. These types of buyers would never even consider a Honda pickup truck for their purposes. Don't get me wrong, the Honda Ridgeline is a nice vehicle that most people will be happy with but it would never be chosen for the kind of jobs that the Mahindra truck will be used for.
Sabre_Logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 01:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Right said.. Every vehicle (especially SUV/MUV/Truck) undergoes all kinds of testing, not just towing capacity but also the carrying capacity ( for pick up trucks, the total weight it can carry without causing damage to the engine).

Pretty sure M&M has carried out extensive research on this,since the main users are going to be ranchers/farmers.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote