Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 12th February 2005, 01:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

I drove a countach for about 3 miles back in '99, and trust me although it is hell difficult as shan2nu says, the fact that it is THE LAMBORHINI COUNTACH, will never ever let me take it to my hate list. Im in love with it ever since i saw it for the first time in the Daily Express World Cars 1987 edition need i say more to that?
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 02:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have never had the privilege to drive any super car till date...but i just cant take peoples word about this car.NO WAYS!!! Its the most flamboyant machine I have ever seen...trust me even if it didnt handle well I would buy it because its not just a car but "Its a Statement" and the whole world agrees to me on that, Im sure. I think its very subjective choice actually and may vary from me to you.
My neighbour drove a countach way back in 1999 and the way he expressed his drive, left me gasping for thin air...He is one lucky thing on this planet working with BMW in Germany,,so I cant even say he is a L board to the motor world and let his words go off just like that.....u know what I mean!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 12th February 2005 at 02:14.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 02:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its the most flamboyant machine I have ever seen...trust me even if it didnt handle well I would buy it because its not just a car but "Its a Statement"
That's the thing. Diff people buy cars based on diff needs. Basically i like driver's cars. If a car is really worth driving, i'll drive it, irrespective of where it comes from.

So, there's nothing wrong if i happen to have a Countach, on my "worst supercar" list.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 02:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think it takes a little more than a great driver to enjoy THE COUNTACH... I guess we will have to start a new thread evaluating the competance of the drivers who have condemned this Lambo...and people following those drivers verdicts as if its GOD's words!!!

Note: No intention to counter any members comments...its purely "my" opinion.
Old 12th February 2005, 03:26   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
so I cant even say he is a L board to the motor world
Never heard this phrase before.... does it have a fulll form?

Why dont you tell this neighbor of yours about TBHP! (or is he already a member? hmmm...)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 03:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Never heard this phrase before.... does it have a fulll form?

Why dont you tell this neighbor of yours about TBHP! (or is he already a member? hmmm...)

cya
R
Rehan, L board means Learners Board or in short Amateur or new to or inexperienced.

Will tell this uncle to spend some time on TBHP surely.He's gonna come down to India in a month or two actualy, may be then...He's permanently settled in Germany.Trust me it would be great to have him in here...Mans got crazedout knowledge bout cars and bikes both...
Old 12th February 2005, 06:26   #22

In the modern era what i hate the most is the Ferrari F50!!!
....Worst ferrari ever and ugliest supercar ever made.
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 11:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it takes a little more than a great driver to enjoy THE COUNTACH
That's exactly what i meant. The Countach was never made for great drivers. It was made for all those kids with Countach posters in their rooms.

The Countach was never a complete supercar. You'll enjoy it the best, as long as you don't sit behind the wheel.

Look at the NSX and the Elise, nobody has posters of the them in their rooms. They're too plain looking to be called supercars, but they are supercars.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 12th February 2005 at 11:59.
Old 12th February 2005, 12:57   #24
Team-BHP Support

Gordan Murray, arguably one of the best engineers in the business was invited to a Motor Trend test of the best supercars of the time. This was 1989 or so, not sure. Before the Mclaren F1 was launched though.

There was the Porsche 959, the F40, the Lotus Esprit and the Countach. Gordon's comments on each of them were (speaking from memory here so..):
959: Amazing car to drive, very user friendly, something you could use everyday. But, it just does not feel like a supercar should. it does not give the driver that sense of driving something special. It feels like you are sitting in a regular coupe.

Lotus: Great value ofcourse, good looking but the 4 cylinder engine is not what makes a supercar a supercar.

Lambo: This is how a supercar should look he said. Also, the driving position, though a bit extreme, gives the driver the feeling that he is driving a real supercar. It makes him feel special and that's what supercars should do.

F40: The perfect mix of what a supercar should be, but it is too track oriented and not a great road car.

So basically, Mr. Murray combined all the best elements from the best supercars of the time, and along with a host of his amazing idea's (fans to generate downforce!) built the best supercar of all time.

I went off topic here to highlight the fact that the best auto engineer liked the Countach for what it was. It's not the perfect supercar, but it is most definitely a great supercar.

A good drivers car alone does not make a car a supercar.

Last edited by Rtech : 12th February 2005 at 12:59.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 13:09   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spot on Rtech. And the fact that the countach is now a 30 year old design. I can just imagine the faces in the 70's when they saw the countach on the road (Jaws dropped). It is such a timeless design.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 13:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Worst ferrari ever and ugliest supercar ever made.
I think that would be going too far in critisizing the F50. Yes sure compared to the other Ferrari Super cars like the F40 and 288 GTO it was less special but it was the first ever GP car for the road. Heck even the suspension was mounted to the gearbox.

It cant be the worst Ferrari ever. There were others for that crown namely the Mondial. Now thats one Ferrari I wouldnt want to own

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 13:23   #27
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of Ferrari's, the 612 Scagliette is one of the ugliest Ferrari's for sure, though they say its a great drivers car!! I guess I'd put that on my list.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 13:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not the perfect supercar, but it is most definitely a great supercar.
I agree, but like you said, it's not the perfect supercar.

The Mclaren F1 on the other hand, is the only "near perfect" supercar of all time.

Quote:
A good drivers car alone does not make a car a supercar.
But a supercar can never be complete without this.

Shan2nu
Old 12th February 2005, 14:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
It cant be the worst Ferrari ever. There were others for that crown namely the Mondial. Now thats one Ferrari I wouldnt want to own

Dippy
okie....but i was metioning to the ferraris of post 90's. and i do not know much of the past unknown ferraris...so to me, this f50 is the worst.
my fav ferrari is f40... i love it more than the mclaren f1... still both are great.

Last edited by Nirvana : 12th February 2005 at 14:17.
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2005, 17:30   #30
BHPian

Exclamation

Didnt see many super cars on road , but hate the yellow one made by DC
Vulken Auto is offline   Reply With Quote