Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 6th September 2007, 22:14   #1
BHPian

Exclamation President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler

This morning, Chrysler Chairman and CEO Bob Nardelli revealed that Jim Press would be joining the company as Vice Chairman and President, the same title LaSorda has on his recently-updated business cards. Until today, Press had been none other than President and COO of Toyota North America, quietly leading the Japanese automaker's charge in the U.S. for more market share.

Press will be in charge of North American Sales, International Sales, Global Marketing, Product Strategy, and Service and Parts ,while LaSorda is still responsible for manufacturing, purchasing, labor and Global Business Development and Alliances.

(Source : Autoblog)

My reaction -: I'm dazed. Few weeks earlier Chrysler got Lexus' VP marketing over to joing them and now THIS!? & mix these smilies and thats what my reaction is. All your reactions !?!
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 22:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Classic knee-jerk first move from a smaller organization. But a move that helps stabilize the ship under most circumstances.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 22:18   #3
BHPian

He's spent 37 years working for TOYOTA. And what makes him move. ?! He must've surely got some SERIOUSLY BIG incentive to move.
Old 6th September 2007, 22:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
He's spent 37 years working for TOYOTA. And what makes him move. ?! He must've surely got some SERIOUSLY BIG incentive to move.
Yes, VERY BIG, I am sure.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 22:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Change in the organization comes from the ethics & work culture of the people at the bottom of the ladder, not the top. This is just my opinion.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 00:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Change in the organization comes from the ethics & work culture of the people at the bottom of the ladder, not the top. This is just my opinion.
But sometimes it just needs to be enforced and the bottom of the ladder folks need to follow those ethics merely to stay employed . It'll be tough for some mfg's however ( you know the 3) to incorporate the goodness.
Old 7th September 2007, 00:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Most changes are generally percolated top down. However the "Toyota way" (or now the "chrysler path") has to be applied to the vendors as well.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 01:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, one of Mercedes's best engineers (Dieter Zetche) and their best managers (Wolfgang Bernhard) ran the company for many years. Still it could'nt save the company.

I wonder what Press, who by no means is the reason for Toyota's success ,can do.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 02:39   #9
BHPian

The first thing they should do is fire their design chief who approved that SUPER UGLY SEBRING. How can ANYONE design leave alone approval, this design.
Old 8th September 2007, 01:14   #10
BHPian

Default vice president of Toyota North America, steps up

Vice president of Toyota North America, Shigeru Hayakawa has been stepped-up for the task of being President. Thats quick I must say. It seems Mr. Hayakawa has been 3 decades + veteran at Toyota as well. This is going to be interesting.
Old 9th September 2007, 01:51   #11
BHPian

Jim Press probably was tired of the frequent commutes to Japan every month for Board Meetings. Of course, he must have got a great compensation package. The way I see it, the only way to get a huge bump in salary is to jump ship especially in the tail end of his career.

Will Jim Press be able to turn around Chrysler? It's possible. He will have to deal with the Union and I'm not sure that he can handle that too well.

Either way, it's a good deal for him.

The discussion on this thread about effecting change from top down or bottom up reminded me of a book called " From Good to Great" by Jim Collins that I read recently. Guys interested in running a good organization should check it out!
Zensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2007, 21:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensible View Post
Will Jim Press be able to turn around Chrysler? It's possible. He will have to deal with the Union and I'm not sure that he can handle that too well.
FYI he hasn't joined as the head of Chrysler but as a vice chairman next to Tim Lasorda. The guy running Chrysler now ( or the guy who will try to turn it around like u say) is Bob Nardelli. So Jim Press shall work under Nardelli's supervision