Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 21st December 2004, 23:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default So you thought M cars were great- Well read again!

Yes, i advise you to read again. The dark spot on the M cars is finally out. I'd read about this several times on bimmerfly.com, m5board.com and other M3 sites. Well the E46 M3 engines have problems. Read this article in this month's AutocarM3 engine failures on the rise

I'd read lots of posts on M5board and Bimmerfly where people were looking for used M3s and M5s. Most members advised such buyers to go in for the E-39 M5 besides all the obvious reasons, quite a few also stated the low reliability levels that the E46 engines had. Its hard to believe but its true and now that Autocar has brought it in the open, it means its a rather grave situation for BMW considering that their new 3-series is just out and the M3 version should be expected sometime late next year.

Revvmaster
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 10:14   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Revv,

I remember reading a lot about M3 engine issues too. If I remember correct, the cams, lubrication etc. Correct?

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 18:47   #3
BHPian

Unhappy

Thats really sad to hear from a company like BMW and I was really surprised to know this. Hope they rectify the problem soon.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 00:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

lol, and we were insulting MB so badly for the lack of quality in their products.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 00:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

And the story of the guy on his 3rd engine is simply ridiculous. And even more ridiculous is BMW not recalling the cars. C'mon even American manufacturers do this.
Old 23rd December 2004, 18:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Revv did it hurt everytime you hit the keys for that post? It was quite a revelation to me, surprising I haven't heard of it before. Porsche cars are not much different, there have been many cases of engine failures for the 996 Turbo's but I guess much of it is due to the fact that they haven't been run-in properly. On the Rennlist forums, one of the guys went through as many as 3 engine changes, and throw in some gearboxes too. The man has as of now vowed never to buy a Porsche again. RMS seals in Porsche engines have also known to have been a little troublesome. It really takes the fun out of owning your dream cars, but I guess mass-production is probably to be blamed and to a certain extent, power corrupts.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 19:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

I didnt read the link...... but when ONE guy goes through THREE engines (and a majority of the owners dont really have the same problems as him) you tend to wonder whether its the cars fault or his ?!?

R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 20:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Surely, a guy of an average intelligence would have learnt from his mistake the first time an engine blew. May be he has a rare case of very very string bad luck. The story of the guy losing his job 'cos his M3 broke down (this was posted in another thread of similar content) was also very saddening. But on the other hand, these slightly rare cases don't trully reflect the quality (or the lack thereof) of BMW engines like Rehaan said.
Old 24th December 2004, 12:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well really speaking Ported, deeps, rehaan, gto and gang, engine failures from german manufacturers in the last decade have shown an increasing trend. Look at the M3, its built on the same line as the other 3-series cars. So glitches are quite possible. The chances of part-failures increase when you assemble exotics wth common cars. Sure, its a cost saving, but the costs that are incurred with after-sales "voluntary" repairs negate the costs saved.

It isn't always the company that is at fault. Long track days can also lead to failures. Remember, these, such as the M3 and M5 are performance versions of their sedans and not necessarily race cars. I know of an M5boarder who is now on his 3rd engine on his E-39 M5 simply cause he spends more than half the time on the track, even drifting the car thru corners. Though these are no more than 5% of the cases, it highlights a lot on how drivers use their car. Constant shifting at the revv-limit also can lead to engine/component failures. Remember the E-39 and E-46 cannot be revved to the limit till the lights on the tachometer reaches peak rpm, i.e. the engine has completely warmed up. Some owners don't do that, so failures can increase.

Revv
Old 24th December 2004, 18:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

One of my friend in US told me that his Boss's Beamer had almost everything from Steering wheel to engine changed under warranty coz it was defective :-0
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2004, 16:48   #11
BHPian

BMW is like a fish without water,many customers owning BMWs say thevye never had ny problems,but the few who do,say that these problems r never ending.how bout this,sending ur car 3-4 times a week to the service station.
some failures perhaps maybe cause car owners are not using the required 10W-60 synthetic oil which is not readily available in the aftermarket.
hey REVV wat wld be the chances of the M5 once the 4 door 928 comes out?????????
turbolader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2004, 17:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolader
hey REVV wat wld be the chances of the M5 once the 4 door 928 comes out?????????
928 or whatever Porsche would like to call its 2007 arriving super-sedan, it really should shake things up at BMW. When Porsche decided to go for a sporty SUV with car-like handling characteristics, some people pooh-poohed the claim, stating that the twain shall never meet. Of-course Porsche has shown why they are the best engineering auto company there is, and shown it with style.

Now I am sure, Porsche must have taken upon itself the challenge to create a 4-door track car with its upcoming sedan. Can it do it? Yes. Will it usurp the M5? Its hard to tell. Remember, BMW is in more countries and has more service centers than Porsche. Also the M5 has now been around us for a lil' over 20 years. Its a brand that can't be shackled-off from the top so easily. Also remember, BMW has a magnificent 5.5 litre V10 which can replace the current 5 litre V10 anytime if the competition gets too hot.

Revv
Old 30th December 2004, 17:22   #13
BHPian

okh the Ms are around for years n i do love em,but if BMW wants to make a sports car y not start off with one,why convert a saloon into a sports car?????like the M3 CSL,it is a gr8 car,when campared to the Carrera,fine its got bout 40bhp more,its lighter,but the Carrera simply turns out to b the better car.
turbolader is offline   Reply With Quote