Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy?
Ferrari F430 Scuderia 51 46.79%
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera 30 27.52%
Porsche 911 997 GT3 28 25.69%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th December 2007, 21:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Strange thing. An acquaintence mentioned the same thing,and it made us wonder- How's it possible for such a refined sports car to have such problems? With the R&D that goes into making these cars,one wouldn't expect such issues.
I guess the R&D goes into stuffing in new technology but the Vehicle Integration folks screw it up. Thats where things screw-up.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 22:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I guess the R&D goes into stuffing in new technology but the Vehicle Integration folks screw it up. Thats where things screw-up.
Quite possible. Hope these things get fixed,because the Superleggera actually passes on some stuff to the Nera. Hope the e-gear gets the tweaking required..
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 16:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the porsche. Was a hard choice to choose between the ferrari and porsche.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 16:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Lambo gets it for its looks and though an ardent Ferrari fan, i like this ride from Lambhorghini..Should have included Bugatti Veyron just for its speed and looks too.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:02   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Strange thing. An acquaintence mentioned the same thing,and it made us wonder- How's it possible for such a refined sports car to have such problems? With the R&D that goes into making these cars,one wouldn't expect such issues.
Quote:
Couple of reasons, though not entirely justifiable considering the price you pay. Supercars wern't built to be driven every day (atleast most of them). Thus, the engineers focus is on speed, and that will inevitably make a compromise on reliability. The stress on each part is also much more at that level of performance; for example think about the wear and tear on engine / transmission components when revving at 9000 rpms.

Lower sales volumes would may have an effect on the reliability. For instance, would a car with a 1000 unit annual production be as thoroughly tested as a family sedan with a 600000 annual production level? There have been some supercars that have been reliable in daily driving e.g. the Honda NSX. Among the big boys, Porsche has a reputation for being the most reliable and practical supercar.

Again, I am not justifying their unreliability and actually do agree with your viewpoint that a $100,000 car just ought to be reliable enough.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:18   #21
BHPian

tough call between the porsche and the ferrari but i'd choose the porsche!
croonneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari anyday, the others may be faster, but the Ferrari gives you that feeling which i think the others wont.

And when your watching F1, you can cheer a Porsche or Lamorghini.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 18:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Among the big boys, Porsche has a reputation for being the most reliable and practical supercar.
Probably because porsche engine's dont rev as much, atleast the 911 turbo doesn't whereas Ferrari deliberately puts the power higher in the rev range for that magical noise + acceleration nirvana. There's no beating the fact that Ferrari's have passion and soul whereas a porsche even though it might be better, lacks it.
I absolutely love the Ferrari, just the sound of a F430 revving gives me goosepimples and I know for a fact that if I ever get to drive and rev a F430 I will cry! ;-)
Its magic.
extreme_torque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 19:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well said extreme torque, cant agree with more. The Ferrari has so much more passion in them.

Porches : Well they all look the same
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 03:02   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Probably because porsche engine's dont rev as much, atleast the 911 turbo doesn't whereas Ferrari deliberately puts the power higher in the rev range for that magical noise + acceleration nirvana. There's no beating the fact that Ferrari's have passion and soul whereas a porsche even though it might be better, lacks it.
I absolutely love the Ferrari, just the sound of a F430 revving gives me goosepimples and I know for a fact that if I ever get to drive and rev a F430 I will cry! ;-)
Its magic.
well ferrari mechanically tune the exhaust to give aural pleasure while the porsche's sound is raw...
on the contrary i would say porsche's have passion.and i quote jeremy clarkson where he said "ferrari's had passion but poor science and maths,thus the cars were heavy on maintenance.But now they have got the maths and science right but lost the passion.ferrari's have become more of a tool for going fast around a track".porsche even though the put the engine in the wrong place,kept refining the whole package till they got it right.
i voted for the porsche because i would like to drive it everyday rather than keep it in a garage.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 09:28   #26
BHPian

1) porsche 911 gt3

/The list ends here
//http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2007/12/stories/06/1.html

TBH I so hate ferrari with a passion, I wonder if its just that all the journalists are afraid to refuse to run with the pack or are scared that [SIZE=-1]Luca de Montezemolo wont lend them any more cars to review and people will stop buying their mags 'cause they don't have a ferrari featured.

It might be a brilliant piece of engineering blah blah, but its mostly bought by people who sort of get it to brag, compesnate for the lack of oomph in their pants, "I am 45, I just got a ferrari, hope that stops me getting ridiculed in bed!". Most people who buy never take it to a track and even if they do, they never get out of the race mode. And to quote clarkson like a few of you here have "Don't sit next to a guy who owns one at the dinner, in case he starts telling you about the 5 way traction control in his car". The GT3 on the other hand is brilliant!

[/SIZE]The last thing that gets my goat is all those celebrity people(read filmstars mostly), they're such dimwits and an equally dim-witted *motoring journo* goes and interviews them, and no matter what they should reply with a "I'd like to own a ferrari someday". I would dearly like to meet each of those people and hammer their knees until they tell me what a ferrari is?, what are they planning to buy? and a little more details.

well if its for looks, aural pleasure and what not, then I give you Lamborghini(and a few other manufacturers), they are so so much more mad about such things.

sorry for the long post, I am still trying to figure out why I got up so angry this morning
Ho0ligaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 12:39   #27
BHPian

Damn, the Lambo let me down this time. Love the looks of the F430 and just saw the 0-60 figures and they were impressive too. But I prefer the Lambo's Interiors. I don't know how the Scuderia sounds but the Lambo sounds divine, check it out:

Voted for the F430
lancer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 14:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I can't take my eyes off the Lambo and the Ferrari.

However, Cant resist the temptation to vote for Porsche. Ever since 'NFS- Porsche unleashed', i'm hooked.

I think the GT3 RS, is so focussed on weight reduction, it doesnt have an a/c!
for get the A/C thats the simpler part. the porsche guys even went to the extent of using a sticker for the logo on the bonnet rather than the metal emblem..!

if i have the money, i would go for all the three. but assuming i just had enuf for one car, defenetly the porsche bcos its more value for money and very unassuming and subtle
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 19:57   #29
BHPian

I dislike how the automated manual transmissions operate. On the basis of that alone, make mine a GT3
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 23:47   #30
BHPian

the gallardo for the lone fact that it comes from the italian stable of the raging bull. even though the porsche is the more practical supercar and the 430 is well a ferrari i chose the gallardo because of the sheer lunacity and insanity that is connected with the best supercar manufacturer in the world* - lamborghini.
*it is my personal opinion
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote