Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 27th January 2008, 10:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Are you sure about this ? AFAIK, an Indian licence is valid only in India. A country like USA where they are far more strict about laws, wouldn't accept our licence for anything more than acknowledging that we have had a licence before, and we are aware of driving. An IDP is more legal, but even that has a short shelf life, enough to either get one through his (business) trip, or till one gets his local licence.
I myself drove on Indian license for some time at Indiana state. I also got insurance on my car during that period. Indian licenses are indeed recognised in many states.

I am currently in Texas and many of our colleagues drive on Indian licenses for some time legally. No issues regarding insurance, apart from the fact that since they do not have your driving history the premium is a bit higher, but who cares. We actually come here on temporary basis and the monthly difference of premium isn't much.

As regards Driving license being a identity proof, states also issue state-id's for that. No big deal.

I think this does not have much incenvenience for the temporary residents. However this might hurt temporary residents aspiring to make it permanent.

Even in UK I had rented cars from the premier car rentals on Indian license and also got insurance cover for it.

Last edited by 1100D : 27th January 2008 at 10:49.
1100D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 10:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

IDP is valid for one year, and is only issued in the same country as the driving licence it accompanies.

I think we covered this in another thread?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 11:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
As regards Driving license being a identity proof, states also issue state-id's for that. No big deal.
That's where you're wrong. Michigan's new law says you can't be issued a state id either.

@condor, Michigan has always accepted a foreign license as equivalent to having either an IDP (which they don't recognize, BTW) or an in-state license. And I hope they continue to do so.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 11:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about this ? AFAIK, an Indian licence is valid only in India. A country like USA where they are far more strict about laws, wouldn't accept our licence for anything more than acknowledging that we have had a licence before, and we are aware of driving. An IDP is more legal, but even that has a short shelf life, enough to either get one through his (business) trip, or till one gets his local licence.
Yes I am very sure. At least in Michigan, I can drive a car with my Indian license. And most probably I'll be registering one in my name on Monday. As I mentioned earlier I couldnt obtain an IDP as addresses on my DL and passport are different.

Now I am worried about getting my Indian license renewed without going to India. I hope they make amendments to this regulation sooner and make life of legal residents easier.

On a different note I would suggest getting a smart card based Indian DL instead of that stupid booklet.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 07:40   #20
BHPian

I have a question which is kind of off-topic. Can you drive in India with a driver's license from a foreign country, let's say Canada?
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 07:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:

p.s: @SujayLahiri, you are a legal alien !
haha

You are right.
In fact me and my friends sometimes prefer the Interstates over the Canadian highways because of the 70 mph speed limit, 10 more than Canada. Although the Canadian traffic cops are more tolerant than the Americans, and if you say you are a student they'll let you off easily.
Old 28th January 2008, 10:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Your off-topic answer is, yes, if you get a Canadian IDP to go with it.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 10:48   #23
Team-BHP Support

Well if a move is towards Illegals, then nothing wrong with it. Illegal immigrants have no business being there.
The problem with this law is that LEGAL Aliens won't be able to get a MI license.

Now MI allows you to drive on foreign license.
What if you want to go to some other state which requires a US or a Canadian license?

For example lets say you drove to Nevada.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 11:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What if you want to go to some other state which requires a US or a Canadian license?

Just what I am thinking about for last few days. I am supposed to travel to NY sometime in February. I wonder if I can do that.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 21:57   #25
BHPian

Guys did I get out of there just in time?
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 22:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

I was driving in Oregon with my Indian DL; but I was also carrying my Dubai DL (where the cars are driven on the 'right side of the road'!!!).

Since I was never stopped by a cop (touch wood) I never got to check if this was ok or not! The company that I was working for had no issues with this.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 28th January 2008 at 22:31.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 22:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
On a different note I would suggest getting a smart card based Indian DL instead of that stupid booklet.
Indian licenses now are smart cards. Booklets were gone long back followed by unsmart cards.
1100D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 23:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well if a move is towards Illegals, then nothing wrong with it. Illegal immigrants have no business being there.
The problem with this law is that LEGAL Aliens won't be able to get a MI license.

Can Michigan residents get a license from a neighbouring state, say Ohio and drive in Michigan? We can do that in Canada. Or do you have the same set of rules for other provinces as well (like being a legal resident etc.).
Old 28th January 2008, 23:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Can Michigan residents get a license from a neighbouring state, say Ohio and drive in Michigan? We can do that in Canada. Or do you have the same set of rules for other provinces as well (like being a legal resident etc.).
no u cannot. u have give them a proof of residence like a utility bill or something similar. if u have moved to michigan from another state where u already have a license just dont transfer your license. if u get pulled over cops are usually not that strict about it. i've lived in ohio earlier with a south dakota license for more than a year and it was not a problem.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 01:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Guys did I get out of there just in time?
Illinois is pretty different,I'm told.. Looks like you made it in time,Bhupi!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote