Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 6th May 2004, 16:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys forgot this.. The Indian we are talking bout here is I think one Dr Dhariwal. He owns a Mclaren F1 in Austria as well as a 300 SL Gullwing.. Of course as told to me by the marketing executive at Sah and Sanghi.

Cheers

P.S. Hes the fifth ever person to get his Mclaren worldwide when he bought it .. Howzzat???
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 16:50   #17
Team-BHP Support

well, i must say he has fine taste in automobiles....and its good to see he doesn't brag about them either. Maybe Tendulkar shoulda followed his lead and kept the 356 in Europe, where he can enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Out here, all he can do is take it out at 5 in the morning for a quick spin i guess!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 17:23   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

And while we are on the Mclaren F1, heres the inevitable question...Mclaren F1 or Ferrari Enzo?

Well, apparently the Mclaren F1 is quicker...actually significantly quicker. The latest UK edition Autocar did some testing between the Enzo and the Mclaren!!! Please Autocarindia, publish it in the June Autocarindia.

Heres the Enzo vs Mc link.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think it'd gonna be years before the MclarenF1 can be beaten as the fastest car... Bugatti i think is blown up in smoke with the number of delays...
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2004, 17:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

Hey GTO, there is a link to the complete article in the Mclaren forum. Towards the end Pg 29-31 or so. Someone has scanned the complete article and put it up. Makes for good reading. Interesting to note that Ferrari have not and will not give the Enzo for private testing. Further, it has informed all Enzo owners that they SHOULD NOT give their car for testing either, or risk being blackmarked by Ferrari! Now that speaks volumes about how scared they are that their latest and best supercar till date is slower thana car manufactured 10 years ago! Shame on Ferrari.
Old 7th May 2004, 00:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rtech,

Saw the autocar test, now although i didnt have time to read it, the only issue i had with it was that the cars were both tested at different instances right? That just seems like a unfair comparison to me, given the way enviormental conditions can affect performance.
Also, i wonder what kind of advantage the enzo would have going around a track, compared to the McF1.

cya
R

ps - plus 2 things that i find strange are how the magazine quotes boldly on one page "from now on the enzo is the benchmark when it comes to brakes", but on the stats page for the enzo it sayd "braking 70mph-0 = TBA"
Also another issue is that the enzo tests are 0.3secs slower from a standstill to 100mph and 150mph, however the stats state that it takes the same time as the mcF1 to reach 138mph!!! (ie same 1/4mile timing & speed)...isnt that strange
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2004, 00:46   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Saw the autocar test, now although i didnt have time to read it, the only issue i had with it was that the cars were both tested at different instances right?
True, but in terms of sheer acceleration I think that the Mclaren has the Enzo beaten. Two reasons - First the Mclaren has a power-to-weight ratio in the range of 550bhp/ton whereas the Enzo comes in at 476 bhp/ton. Second, I have read in almost each and every review that the Enzo has a load of drag due to its aerodynamic initiative. It provides more downforce than almost every sports car with wings has managed.

Even I found it darned weird that the Mclaren can be quicker to the 60 and to the 100....but they come in even at the 1/4 mile. As has been mentioned, since the Mclaren has a higher top end, the gap must grow bigger and bigger with speed.

Buttttttttttttttttttttttttt on a track, I think that the Enzo will leave the Mclaren for dead. C'mon, its got like 10 more years of aerodynamic design built into it and technology has come a long long way. The braking is stupendously strong, and my bets are on teh Enzo in the handling department too. Its an electronic delight...a car thats loaded with the latest in automotive technology. I see it as Schumy's F12001 with two doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]"from now on the enzo is the benchmark when it comes to brakes", but on the stats page for the enzo it sayd "braking 70mph-0 = TBA"
Yes these were his words describing the drive with Dario around the track. I dont think they were timing it on the warm up lap, but he could just "feel" that the brakes are the best he has experienced so far.

GTO
Old 7th May 2004, 00:55   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 06 2004,23:16)]Buttttttttttttttttttttttttt on a track, I think that the Enzo will leave the Mclaren for dead.
I totally agree.... just wonder by how much!

Thanks for the executive summary,
cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2004, 01:11   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I totally agree.... just wonder by how much!
I think it will still be so close that a 10/10 driver in the Mclaren will kill an 8/10 driver in the Enzo.

GTO
Old 7th May 2004, 12:28   #25
Team-BHP Support

I still think the Mclaren would take the fight to the Enzo on the track. However, out on the open road, the Enzo doesn't stand a chance.

This apart, I don't like the way Ferrari is blackmailing its customers just to protect its own ego. If Ferrari themselves don't want to give a car for testing, thats fine, but to almost threaten existing owners is a disgrace! I'm surprised the magazines are taking it so lightly, but i guess they too don't wanna fall in Ferrari's bad books!