Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 27th January 2005, 00:16   #1
BHPian

Default Why not the VIOS(The Perfect NHC Beater)

Was in Singapore last week on business and noticed the VIOS. It is Toyota's Compact Sedan. There is a 1.5L VVTi which pumps out about 107 BHP. There is also a 1.3L VVTi which has 85 BHP on tap.
Was just wondering what is wrong with Toyota India, why are they not getting it down. With the kind of demand the NHC has, and with the waiting period it has, this would be the perfect vehicle for Toyota to get a big share of the Pie. I think looks wise also it is way better than the NHC and is throwing up some good performance figures.
I think Toyota instead of wasting money on marketing the Camry should invest some time and money in introducing this baby to us Indians. I am sure with Toyotas brand image it will be a good idea.
In Thailand they also sell a Limited Edition Turbo Charged Version. The turbo is on the 1.5L car and produces 135 BHP
For more information please check the following link
http://www.aas.com.sg/features/archive/f03031.htm

http://www.vios.com.my/

Please post your views.
S600BENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 00:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yeah dude i have driven the vios and infact toyota does have plans to get that car in by early next year... if it comes in it will beat the nhc black and blue and every other color possible! i had posed this question to a senior manager in honda siel earlier who is known to me.. and he said 'we are making hay while the sun shines'!!!
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 08:21   #3
BHPian

I have seen the VIOS is Tokyo and i think it is more in the class of Corsa and Ikon in terms of the interior space. But yes it would be a worthy competetion to the NHC if priced decently .Toyota normally chrages a premium for their prodcuts in India and if it is priced on par with NHC i think it would be a bit overpriced.
DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 09:52   #4
BHPian

I dont think it is in the same class as The Ikon, or Corsa as on most sites which have reviewed the car in Singapore or thailand they have compared it directly to the NHC. Also the performance figures are way above the Ikon or Corsa. And lastly pricing wise internationally it is in the same price range as The Honda.
Old 27th January 2005, 10:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

It is supposed to be a better drivers car - knowing Toyota, they could quietly be gearing up and sudfdenly - the car appears - no one has ever seen an innova in bangalore - that is the depth of their secrecy
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 10:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

yes i agree i just got back from thailand yesterday the car is very good infact i like it better than NHC. the dash looks great in the center like the xtrail. i had drives in some since they were taxis there tooof the vios
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 10:38   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Is it based on the Corolla? I find it strikingly similar...

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 10:41   #8
bhp
BHPian

agree gto ! the front end looks like taking from the corolla
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 10:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

voila... its a shrunken corolla.
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 11:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

If I haven't read the name, I would have thought it's a new version of Corolla...
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 11:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

It is based on the Yaris
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 11:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think it is in the same class as The Ikon, or Corsa as on most sites which have reviewed the car in Singapore or thailand they have compared it directly to the NHC. Also the performance figures are way above the Ikon or Corsa. And lastly pricing wise internationally it is in the same price range as The Honda.
But, if the NHC comes in the same class as the Ikon and Corsa. I don't see why the Vios can't.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 12:28   #13
BHPian

What I meant is that they are in the same segment but price wise the Vios and the Honda are in a different league.
Old 27th January 2005, 15:23   #14
BHPian

I had read about this car in one of the the last years ACI issue and waiting for its launch here. This looks better than NHC and has got the performance also which NHC doesn't has. Hope Toyota brings this car here soon.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2005, 13:10   #15
BHPian

Price wise I am sure it will be in the NHC category , but what I was saying was abt interior space. I have seen quite a few and can vouch that interior space is a bit less that the Honda Fit/Jazz ( which is the NHC in India) . With the Engine Options it has i am sure it will be more of a drivers car than the NHC.

I guess the moment Honda gets a whiff of this ( in case it is ever launched in India) they will sure bring in the VTEC in the NHC.

I remember Dec 2003 ACI had VIOS in the CARS to expect in 2004 and thats why i was very keen on checking it out in my consequesnt trips to Tokyo.

I am not really sure if its based on Yaris as it is a much smaller car

Last edited by DOHC : 28th January 2005 at 13:13.
DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote