Old 12th March 2008, 01:40   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default BMW to offer full internet access on iDrive

BMW in-car Internet video - CNET TV
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 02:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs up www

Very interesting and about time something like this came up.

Entering details via iDrive is going to be painful.

In true BMW tradition, they're charging the equivalent of $30/month (which breaks up as $5 for the service, and $25 for the BMW badge - ).

Wonder what happens if/when a worm or virus gets into it - ouch! Imagine a hacker getting into the car's computer system - all sort of possibilities...
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 14:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Very interesting and about time something like this came up.

Entering details via iDrive is going to be painful.

In true BMW tradition, they're charging the equivalent of $30/month (which breaks up as $5 for the service, and $25 for the BMW badge - ).

Wonder what happens if/when a worm or virus gets into it - ouch! Imagine a hacker getting into the car's computer system - all sort of possibilities...
just await for Norton Car Anti Virus
Karandeep81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 15:11   #4
BHPian

Whoa! Yet another reason to have a humongous shunt
elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 15:12   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, it was only a matter of time before this happened, isn't it? The internet has found a place in each area of our lives....just think of the endless possibilities with having a full scale connection in your car! If I am out on a roadtrip, and want to quickly check an important work email....there you go. A chauffeur-driven car owner could use the commuting time to complete office work. Say I have driven to an unfamiliar area / city etc., I could quickly check on restaurant / hotel reviews and go to the most appropriate.

This is obviously only the start, and the BMW system has its limitations. But it is a start and kudos to BMW for offering it first. It will be only a matter of time before internet jacks are offered with each car, and wireless internet speeds become faster than the broadband we use today. Cars could upload / download vital information and software updates automatically. Heck, imagine getting an engine remap remotely installed!

Internet through the mobile phone / wireless internet cards already provide www mobility. But the difference is that, BMW now offers an internet solution integrated with your car.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 17:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Rightly as gto said it has all advantages in it ,BUT we are in a virus infested world.Cant guess what would happen in that scenario.Still kudos to BMW to make this happen and let them have a fool proof system for it.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 17:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dunno whats the big deal. My car already has internet access without throwing in a lot of technical terms and a number of unwanted optional extras which obviously cost a bomb.

Funny how they try to sell other optional stuff using Safety as an excuse - "For safety reasons, ConnectedDrive will only be accessible at speeds slower than 5km/hr. However, vehicles equipped with BMW rear-seat DVD player will allow rear-seat passengers to use the internet at any speed."

Besides using EDGE for internet access is a NO NO. Its terribly slow even for browsing, let alone any usefull business application.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 18:44   #8
BHPian

KUDOS to the BMW team.
Hope this system has some security features to kick off hackers and viruses.
smack_himanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 07:02   #9
BHPian

Who really needs this though when you have your handhelds,smartphones etc that can easily do all the things GTO mentioned above.Navi already does restaurent search etc.Uploading/downloading car info-BMW probably can do that with just a little upgrade on BMW assist( it can already open my cars doorlock remotely,tell me where I am if I am lost and even make a call for me if I have forgotten my cellphone)
Bimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 10:16   #10
BHPian

Thumbs up Cars with wireless Internet

Chrysler has announced that it may launch cars with wireless Internet in September this year.

Source: Coming soon: Cars with wireless Internet
diwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 11:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move by BMW, but it will be very risky also.
As pointed out as others, the virus world will find this as an easy target.

Moreover, if misused, this can result into distraction. I know its not very easy to happen , but this is the potential risk that in involved.

IMO, the mobile phones now a days have sufficient facality including the location facality so the effect of wireless internet in cars is really not that helpful.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 11:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

If car makers provide some useful space for browsing with additional options to power the devices, that should be enough.
If they want to update something or exchange some car data, they can always provide a wired/wireless connection through some other device.

I don't really see any value with what they have done.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 12:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

and imagine if someone finds a vulnerablity and hacks into your car when you're driving it ?
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 14:28   #14
BHPian

Is it something too unique? You can always carry a laptop in car with a mobile phone/modem to access internet anywhere.

What's the point of having a built in full fledged computer in a car? It not only increase the price but also cost a bomb to fix.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 22:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

More and more stuff to get your attention towards the iDrive. Lol.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote