Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 10th February 2005, 17:35   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Dashboard design: Who got it right and who didn't?

Was just thinking about the Honda S2000 this afternoon and one of the things that struck me about it was it's dashboard design.

It is so simple, so uncluttered, so driver oriented. Everything you need is but a fingers' reach away. The only time you remove your hand from the steering wheel is when you change gears. And even then its just a short distance away. To me, the S2000 has the perfect dashboard design. Its ergonomic, simple and just fits the character of the car so perfectly.

Contrast Honda's philosophy to say the present BMW's. With it's cluttered interface, touch screen and other gizmo's, you need a PhD just to adjust the temperature in the car. Not to mention it looks plain ugly!

These are at 2 ends of the spectrum. Honda shows how to keep it simple and get it right, while BMW tries to impress with gadgets and gets it horribly wrong.

Just marvel at the simplicity!!

Last edited by Rtech : 10th February 2005 at 17:39.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 17:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

The same goes for the Civic Type R. In this case they've even designed the gear lever such that shifting is quick and efficient.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 18:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can this gear lever thing be because of the cost savings they might have when they shift from left hand drive markets to the right hand drive markets? i read in some article that fiat has designed panda with this point too in mind. ofcourse, the placement of the gear lever in that position helps in quicker shifting of gears which is always beneficial.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 18:28   #4
BHPian

The S2000's dashboard is simply brilliant I love those speedo and tachometers.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 18:59   #5
BHPian

I also like the Porsche's design of the dash with the large Tacho which is more prominent than the speedo which makes it feel more driver centric and even the quality levelsare too good.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 21:24   #6
BHPian

Aston - the V8 and DB9. simply amazing!!!
GrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 21:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaper
Aston - the V8 and DB9. simply amazing!!!
I agree. Simply the best. Very clear and well made with a super dash of quality.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 21:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

well, we can't leave out the Mclaren F1 either i guess. Handcrafted titanium dials....what more could you ask for!!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 21:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

LOL did you guys watch the old Porsche 911 video where Jeremy looks at the dash and says "If i filled my nose and mouth with all these knobs and dials and buttons, and then sneezed, it'll be more organised than this".

JC, he sure has his way with words. Hehe

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 10th February 2005 at 21:56.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2005, 23:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

rtech u got it perfectly spot on with the S2K. I used to work in a honda dealership back in michigan. since i was the service manager and i often used to do the 20mile test runs on new cars arriving in the showroom . And trust me everytime the delivery truck used to roll in all i wanted to see were how many S2000's are in there!! the car is TINY from the inside, even i often found it to be a tight fit imagine what it would be like for full size americans but still it was pretty convinient to drive, the front fascia of the car is very very spartan and an absolute delight, like u said all controls are within inches of the driver u barely have to move ur hands, the best part is the gearing. with the red line starting from 9000rpm! the hand rests very smoothly on the center console and the gears just went thwat!! thwat!! thwat!! thwat!! whenever i decided to push the car to my fav drag test
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2005, 03:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
the hand rests very smoothly on the center console and the gears just went thwat!! thwat!! thwat!! thwat!! whenever i decided to push the car to my fav drag test
Exactly!!! Your right arm rests horizontally on the center console and you just flick through the gears by just moving your wrist on the short shifter!!

The only thing i wish about the s2k's dash was if they depicted the powerband or the cam switch on the tacho (using a couple of different coloured bars or something...)
Another slight irritant is (i think) the dash LEDs dim automatically when the headlights are turned on.... this is good at night, but with DRL or headlights during the rain it becomes difficult to see the display since unlike a conventional display the ambient light isnt "lighting up" the display.

Also, the way this baby bounces off redline (oops :P) is like a machinegun!!

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote