Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th June 2008, 10:06   #1
BHPian

Default Fastest production sedan ever?

At least around the 'Ring'.
Fastest sedan ever? 2009 Cadillac CTS-V breaks 8-minute mark on Nurburgring - Auto News - Motor Trend

The 2009 Cadillac CTS V has broken the eight-minute mark for a lap around the Nurburgring Norschleife, putting in a lap time of 7:59:32 during testing, which may be the fastest lap time ever for a sedan.
While the CTS-V's official SAE certification, acceleration and pricing are yet to be finalized, Cadillac officials stressed that the car, piloted by John Heinricy, was not modified in any way over the car that customers will be able to drive away from showrooms starting this fall. Cadillac says the official numbers will be coming soon.
Preliminary specifications have its supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 rated at about 550 horsepower. It will be mated to either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission, the latter coming with steering-wheel mounted shift buttons.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bimster : 17th June 2008 at 10:10.
Bimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 10:16   #2
BHPian

I was shocked to find out that the americans built the fastest sedan.Unfortunately it was true.Hmmm,by the looks of this car its pretty decent.But then again this holds the spot because the german saloons are speed limited or else good bye cts!
punterccrx8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 10:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Although it is able to lap quickly, this is not the criteria for the fastest car IMHO. When it comes fastest, I believe its top speed that matters.
This car breaking in the record is good and it will support the product a lot.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 11:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree with aagoswami, just by a lap time i dont think it would be rated the fastest sedan.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 11:38   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! Thats a mean feat and a truly commendable achievement by Caddy...I never imagined an American sedan would ever hold the fastest lap record around the ring. AMG? M? Sure. Cadillac? Hell, this time is only marginally off that of the Ferrari 360 CS. Just like the other GM performance machine (Corvette), expect value pricing on this monster too.

P.S. Atleast GM has something to feel good about in their most trying times!

P.P.S. Do I hear Dippy taking orders already?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 18:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Although it is able to lap quickly, this is not the criteria for the fastest car IMHO. When it comes fastest, I believe its top speed that matters.
This car breaking in the record is good and it will support the product a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa! Thats a mean feat and a truly commendable achievement by Caddy...I never imagined an American sedan would ever hold the fastest lap record around the ring. AMG? M? Sure. Cadillac? Hell, this time is only marginally off that of the Ferrari 360 CS. Just like the other GM performance machine (Corvette), expect value pricing on this monster too.

P.S. Atleast GM has something to feel good about in their most trying times!

P.P.S. Do I hear Dippy taking orders already?
I agree that it may not be the fastest ( if you are considering topspeed) on road but it is quick with some impressive numbers ( 556 HP at 6,100 RPM and 551 lb-ft of torque at 3,800 RPM -0-60miles in 3.9 sec) and for time being, the quickest ever laptime for a production sedan on Nurburgring -thats commendable!
And like GTO said,GM will price it well-expect somewhere in M3 range.
Even base CTS is a decent car and good value-best effort from GM so far.
Looks better in person
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest production sedan ever?-cadillaccts2008787751.jpg  

Bimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 21:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
I was shocked to find out that the americans built the fastest sedan.Unfortunately it was true.Hmmm,by the looks of this car its pretty decent.But then again this holds the spot because the german saloons are speed limited or else good bye cts!
You need to check your facts, no german salon can touch this when it comes out, atleast not yet, may be the RS6 when it comes out, but that also would be heavier and not as well tuned to go round..

The 0-60 on this from factory is 3.9, expect it to be lower, the closet sedan from the germans from factory is still 4+ sec car. For a little while I was going to order this, just didnt because i want a sportier car, hence the GT-R.

This would be a monster to recon with, also its going to be simple beast to tune, just with 2k into or less you would be pushing 638-700 at the very least. Its the same motor as the ZR-1 which is rated @ 638 and with a good tune and a pully change would also be a 700hp mad machine..germans are badly beat at their own game this time around..

Last edited by 1Day : 17th June 2008 at 21:57.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 22:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If the M5 was not restricted to 250kmph, I think it could have given a good fight. Same for te M3.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 23:34   #9
BHPian

these figures should be taken with a pinch of salt,most manufacturers overstate how fast their cars are, will have to wait for it to be tested by the magazines like autocar etc.But with 550 hp it should be bloody fast, faster than a m5 though

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2008 at 04:18. Reason: r = are. Please avoid SMS language.
ab1xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 00:06   #10
BHPian

Going by the figures this car seems to be the fastest stock sedan..

BRABUS has been building the world's fastest street-legal sedans for several years running. This 'tradition' started in 1996 with the 330-km/h BRABUS E V12 and reached the next level in 2003 with my favourite;
the 350.2-km/h E V12 Biturbo.

At present the World's Fastest Sedan is the Brabus Rocket which tops out at 365.7-km/h. It would easily crush this Caddy.

Another one is the World's Fastest BMW, the G-Power Hurricane M5 which tops out at 340-km/h.
Attached Thumbnails
Fastest production sedan ever?-brabus-mercedes-e-v12-01.jpg  

Fastest production sedan ever?-brabus-mercedes-e-v12-02.jpg  

Attached Images

Brabus E V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 11:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Top speed isnt everything.

At least for me. For some people, it means everything. I would rather have a lower top speed but better handling.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 14:50   #12
BHPian

When discussing figures like these, please also discuss on a like-for-like basis.
The Cadillac around the ring should be compared with other sedans around the ring and not on top speed.
The Brabus is technically a production sedan while the G-Power is a modified BMW. Like for like comparisons keep things on a level playing field.
There are many GM Modifiers who will raise the bar on the Cadillac and they should be compared with other modifiers and not manufacturer's.
Lets talk about cars that have gone around the ring and we are talking on a level field.
It might be worth digging up Nurburgring statistics? Remember modifiers should be highlighted separately to manufacturers.
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 19:51   #13
BHPian

the latest speed version of the bentley spur is fastest , i think , there is the alphina B7 also
skyline gtr r34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimster View Post
I agree that it may not be the fastest ( if you are considering topspeed) on road but it is quick with some impressive numbers ( 556 HP at 6,100 RPM and 551 lb-ft of torque at 3,800 RPM -0-60miles in 3.9 sec) and for time being, the quickest ever laptime for a production sedan on Nurburgring -thats commendable!
And like GTO said,GM will price it well-expect somewhere in M3 range.
Even base CTS is a decent car and good value-best effort from GM so far.
Looks better in person

Its commendable that an American Sedan manages to break into this type of record. From all my knowledge, I knew that American cars are not exciting handlers but are generally very softly suspended. But I cant agree that it is fastest. But again I appreciate the amount of work GM has put in for these figures.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 22:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If the M5 was not restricted to 250kmph, I think it could have given a good fight. Same for te M3.
You sure dreaming using M3 in the same statement, M3 is history before it came out, the hype died down, in todays times there are much better cars..

But surely i agree that handling is much more important than some stupid top speed number which one would never get to.

Last edited by 1Day : 18th June 2008 at 22:40.
1Day is offline   Reply With Quote