Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 5th July 2008, 13:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

congratulations to hyundai for the same, but then if hyundai is watching, PLEASE hear OUT!

i want a good replacement to accent crdi viva, the verna is kind of too unplanned the power is too much for the chassis and the handling is not to my liking so if you are listening please get the i30 here and fast please!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 19:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai is moving on the same road traveled by its Japanese competitors. Success may come with one model, but consistency comes with learning and all automakers have traveled the same route. Credit to Hyundai is because it did most of the things itself (like Tata is doing now) and from Excel in 1987, it has traveled quite a lot. Maybe in a decade, it could catch up with the best. On the other hand, carmakers can also go down (remember Detroit 2.5). Hyundai is a success in India and Korea, but to be really successful, it will have to crack the big volume markets in US, Japan, EU and China. In the US, its market share gains are not much, and it seems stuck at a level (this is happening in India also). Not much of a presence in Japan, EU, and China. In the meanwhile, I read some time ago that Toyota and major Japanese are interested in its home Korean market, where Hyundai's share exceeds 50%.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 23:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

@monk well if you hate that then what do you have to say about SKODA FABIA? that car priced at the premium is even more nosier!

and the three cylinder is history any way there are only 4 cylinder ones now!
Old 6th July 2008, 00:23   #19
rks
BANNED

Hyundai, take a bow. This recognition only confirms what I already knew long back. I have owned only one Hyundai, since 2000, and I still own that car. And I do not ever want to sell it. From that ownership experience alone, it is already clear to me that car for car, Hyundai beats the crap out of its more fancy competitors on the Indian market. The phrase "moire car per car" truly applies to Hyundai cars.

I was saddened to see that Hyundai was voted as the "most hated car company" in a T-BHP poll. I can only hope that the many Hyundai haters on this forum wake up and change their biased outlook.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 01:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post

I was saddened to see that Hyundai was voted as the "most hated car company" in a T-BHP poll. I can only hope that the many Hyundai haters on this forum wake up and change their biased outlook.
even i am hoping for the same, i even mentioned the same on that poll, and i dint get a reply, remember the lemon, sumo, or the metro ford and the hyundai sonata's case,

that sonata was replaced well before the others were taken notice of by their companies. That poll IMHO shows the poll is totally biased, or rather its out of my understanding why people hate hyundai so much, man i seriously dont know.

Last edited by rider60 : 6th July 2008 at 01:56.
Old 6th July 2008, 22:39   #21
BHPian

I always knew this about hyundai they are the most hungry for success and it shows.

All the best to them, the rest of this lineup there is pretty much the same and has been for years.

All said and done hyundai are still not considered a premium brand by any measures and they have to change this , i don't know how this will happen though personally i think their quality is right up there with the best now.

Maybe they need another luxury brand altogether drawing from the lexus.

The Genesis line is targeting a very special category where money really does not matter.
Maybe what they should aim is target the premium category at a budget because i don't think they can make any inroads in the premium segment straightaway.

I think honda are definately considered semi-premium with their top line offerings The Legend ignoring the sales numbers.
They also have some very interesting cars planned FCX fuel cell and CRZ in terms of reputaion they have a lot.

Last edited by Abhijat : 6th July 2008 at 22:53.
Abhijat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 01:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can't wait to see how Genesis pans out. Hyundai need to focus on one thing, and one thing only : PREMIUM engineering. Their luxo range needs to be refined, well insulated from the road and scream luxury. It must also have a good balance between ride and handling.
That part is already taken care of by cars like the Azera which provide phenomenal insultation and excellent ride without sacrificing handling. Terrific triple-beading on doors ensure almost zilch road noise inside. Hell the Audi A6 is not as insulated.

However they really need another badge/line to take care of the image issue. They make great cars, now its time to make the 'great' crowd WANT their cars.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th July 2008 at 01:49.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 03:48   #23
BHPian

In U.S too i had read in many forums, Hyundai is becoming a good threat to Toyota.
i30 is proving to be good car in europe. Sexy Sleek Hatchback.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 11:31   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
That part is already taken care of by cars like the Azera which provide phenomenal insultation and excellent ride without sacrificing handling. Terrific triple-beading on doors ensure almost zilch road noise inside. Hell the Audi A6 is not as insulated.
Hmmm, true. The Azera has some pretty solid reviews for its ride quality and sound insulation (nice sounding name too!!). Still has the trademark big-Hyundai wallowy syndrome though.

A new badge and further tweaking will surely take Hyundai up the luxury curve.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 13:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

However they really need another badge/line to take care of the image issue. They make great cars, now its time to make the 'great' crowd WANT their cars.
Agree with you. Hyundai badly needs a new luxury badge.
Toyota, Nissan and Honda have proved the point of having luxury badge. The high end cars from Hyundai are good and can keep head high in the luxury segment.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 13:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow. that was some information Egangsta..

Kudos to Hyundai for consistently acheiving their targets as also setting new improved benchmarks.

The same could not have been said 10 years ago!
headers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:32   #27
BHPian

haha and hyundai is been voted the most hated manufacturer on team bhp. They are the one who brought revolutionary mpfi engines in india for the first time and MUL was against it.
Santro - Do i need to tell anything abt it?
Accent - Great VFM car with solid built quality. I like the best part is its gearbox.
Elantra - CRDi - I must say awesome Car to drive. I'm in love with my brother's elantra. Again ultimate package with 10 lakh pack.
Sonata - Struggling for D-Segment. Still it was always better than old accord.
Verna CRDi - Ahem Ahem!! Do i need to say anything about this beast?
2 more
Tucson and Terracan - waste products in the market because of very high maintainance. Hyundai plaza guys told me that Terracan's Clutch overhaul costs - 1.5 lakh what the hell man?
Old 7th July 2008, 20:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post

haha and hyundai is been voted the most hated manufacturer on team bhp. They are the one who brought revolutionary mpfi engines in india for the first time and MUL was against it.

1)
I think that we appreciate what Hyundai has done in relatively less amount of time. In fact, 10 years ago, Hyundai in most of the markets never commended the respect that it now has. Within very less time, Hyundai has converted from a promising new comer to strong top contender. We congratulate Hyundai for what it has achieved.

O.T.

2)
The first mpfi cars this side of Merc was brought in by Daewoo in Cielo.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 21:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)
I think that we appreciate what Hyundai has done in relatively less amount of time. In fact, 10 years ago, Hyundai in most of the markets never commended the respect that it now has. Within very less time, Hyundai has converted from a promising new comer to strong top contender. We congratulate Hyundai for what it has achieved.

O.T.

2)
The first mpfi cars this side of Merc was brought in by Daewoo in Cielo.

I thought it was santro cheers: still need to confirm.

Last edited by Gangsta : 7th July 2008 at 21:26.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
They are doing good
2007 Global Sales Rankings

1. Toyota Motor Corp. 9,366,000
2. General Motors 8,902,252
3. Volkswagen AG 6,191,618
4. Ford Motor Co. 5,964,000
5. Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group 3,961,629
6. Honda Motor Co. Ltd. 3,831,000
7. Nissan Motor Co. 3,675,574
8. PSA/Peugeot-Citroen SA 3,428,400
9. Chrysler LLC 2,676,268
10. Fiat S.p.A. 2,620,864

Full Article and Source:
Hyundai-Kia Automotive Group Joins Ranks of Global Top 5 Automakers : Watch Cars
Look at the 2004 data here from Automotive News and see who is going where:

1. GM 7959838
2. Toyota 7548600
3. Ford 6636329
4. VW 5093181
5. Daimler-Chrysler 4671700
6. Hyundai-Kia 3181394
7. Nissan 3207217
8. Honda 3181624
9. PSA/Citroen 3405100
10. Renault 2471676
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote