Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 7th July 2008, 14:17   #1
BHPian

Default Hypo-miling: Prius vs M3

See an interesting video of a TV show by Jeremy Clarkson where he thrashes a Prius around a test track with an "idling" M3 following...results are interesting

Quote:
No one would ever expect the 414hp V8 powered M3 to get better mileage than a Prius. Unless, of course, you pushed a Prius around a test track as fast it would possibly go and then pacing the hybrid with the M3....
Possibly the most redeeming statement by JC, in the cause of saving fuel: "It doesn't matter what you drive, it's how you drive it".
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 18:11   #2
BANNED

Jeremy Clarkson is always upto something innovative. Guess how did they test drive the suzuki swift? A football match in a stadium, swifts formed the players.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I was about to post this. Is it technically possible for an M5 to have more mileage than a Prius at similar speeds? (which is the max speed for Prius)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
A football match in a stadium, swifts formed the players.
Nope. That was the Toyota and Volkswagen Fox test.

Swift was tested with ice-hockey in the winter olympics episode, and one of those swifts is now in the top-gear studio upside down!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

The videos like wow.
quite a difference. But then m3's speed has been limited due to the prius having lower top speed.

Well true , the guy said, Efficiency doesnt depend on the Vehicle you drive ( of course in some cars it does ) but how you drive
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 20:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

What was he trying to prove ? A quite unscientific comparison.

Hybrids are going to be more fuel effecient in start stop city driving, not when pushed over the top.

He should have compared the M3 to Pruis in start stop city driving.

O.T.:

Using the hybrid in the way its not intended results into complete dissatisfaction:
ABG talks to the Civic Hybrid owner suing Honda over low mileage - Autoblog
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 08:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Using the hybrid in the way its not intended results into complete dissatisfaction:
Was reading the OVERDRIVE article on the Civic hybird.

They have also mentioned the same. When they tried for maximum economy, they got around 21 kmpl. However, driven with spirited driving in highway, they got 8-9 kmpl, which is same as the petrol car!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 10:39   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. However, driven with spirited driving in highway, they got 8-9 kmpl, which is same as the petrol car!
Hybrid cars have a minimal advantage on the highway, since its the petrol motor doing all the work. Its in urban bumper-to-bumper conditions where hybrids excel. The Civic hybrid should manage 15 - 16 kpl in the city.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 15:26   #8
BHPian

he also mentioned how much resources it takes to build a prius, didnt any of you guys catch that part? like getting all the batteries from some far away continent etc.
bottom line is there is no benifit in buying a prius, just making the car alone is a strain on the environment!
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 02:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
he also mentioned how much resources it takes to build a prius, didnt any of you guys catch that part? like getting all the batteries from some far away continent etc.
bottom line is there is no benifit in buying a prius, just making the car alone is a strain on the environment!
This theory has been debunked so many times by experts yet it keeps popping up. Yes, it costs more to make a NMH battery but how much more is more here? 90% of the nickel that goes into the battery is recoverable and can be recycled, so where is the environmental harm?

I posted a slate.com link in another thread which talks about the Nickel mining town.It seems that town is in much better shape environment wise compared to what it was 30 years ago.This town is in US and not some far far away continent. Besides Toyota makes/sells in every country and there is no such thing as far away continent.

Making a hybrid car is ofcourse more resource intensive than a normal car but if you use a Prius for long term it more than makes up for the initial resource consumption. Slate.com has a energy consumption comparision between a 5 yr old Toyota corolla (excluding manufacturing costs) and a brand new Prius (including manufacturing) and Prius beats a used corolla hands down.

I do agree that Hybrids are not the real solution but only a stop gap measure but I hate people like JC who try to prove that Hybrids are worse than a gas guzzling V8. People like him use fake unscientific figures to prove their point and there are gullible people who buy into that crap.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 03:09   #10
BANNED

I dont understand why people here have to take a simple fun video and turn it into a Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson Bashing thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What was he trying to prove ? A quite unscientific comparison.
With all due respect Mr.Swami, i think you are absloutely wrong. What Clarkson proved was absolutely scientific and correct. As he says,
Quote:
"It is not what you drive, It is how you drive it."
And in that sense, he has proved a point showing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
This theory has been debunked so many times by experts yet it keeps popping up. Yes, it costs more to make a NMH battery but how much more is more here? 90% of the nickel that goes into the battery is recoverable and can be recycled, so where is the environmental harm?
And just how many Prius batteries are actually recycled??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I do agree that Hybrids are not the real solution but only a stop gap measure but I hate people like JC who try to prove that Hybrids are worse than a gas guzzling V8. People like him use fake unscientific figures to prove their point and there are gullible people who buy into that crap.
That is a very bold statement you are making there!! Do you have anything to back it up? And do you for a fact really know how much cost goes into making a Prius or are you just refering to some magazine or a web article that you have read?

The prius is a pathetic excuse for a car. It looks ugly, has pathetic performance figures and not as economical as you may think.

If you want fuel efficiency, DRIVE A MARUTI 800!!

If you want a show with humdrum figures, dont watch Top Gear.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 10th July 2008 at 03:16.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 03:18   #11
BHPian

That definitely true.I think a maruti 800 or an alto is better than the prius.If people are looking for emissions and all other things,many better cars are available.And what jc says is true,its not what you drive,its the way you drive that makes the difference in fuel efficiency.In another episoe from previous season,he takes an audi a8 diesel from london to edinburgh and back to london in one full tank.This was possible only bacause he drove it properly.
punterccrx8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 03:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
They have also mentioned the same. When they tried for maximum economy, they got around 21 kmpl. However, driven with spirited driving in highway, they got 8-9 kmpl, which is same as the petrol car!
Duh! Car and Driver, being an automotive magazine, should know how a Hybrid works. It is a Gas-electric motor which cuts over to Gas motor when power is needed which is the case when driven spiritedly on freeway or a track. No wonder it gives same mileage as a petrol car... it is burning petrol!! The car uses Electric motor only during sedate city driving. These tests are dumb tests that compare apples to oranges with the goal of discrediting hybrid cars.

These type of tests can be used to prove that a big SUV is more maneoveurable than a Ferrari! All you have to do is tow a 8,000 lb boat with both vehicles and a F550 become better than a Ferrari.
Old 10th July 2008, 03:27   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
That definitely true.I think a maruti 800 or an alto is better than the prius.If people are looking for emissions and all other things,many better cars are available.And what jc says is true,its not what you drive,its the way you drive that makes the difference in fuel efficiency.In another episoe from previous season,he takes an audi a8 diesel from london to edinburgh and back to london in one full tank.This was possible only bacause he drove it properly.
That was exactly what i was going to Edit my post with before i saw that you had already done it. Let me give you an example. I used to own a 1997 Maruti 800 which my dad used to travel from Mumbai to Nasik regularly. At his pace of constantly doing 60-70 kmph with minimal breaking and accelerating, he used to get fuel efficiency figures of above 25kmpl. The same car, while i used to drive it used to give nothing more that 12-13kmpl as i am used to driving in a different, more agressive style with higher revs. When i used to travel to nasik, i used to get a maximum of 18-20 if lucky. This clearly shows that it is the Driving style that matters.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 04:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey didn't he (JC) drive a Rolls Royce (old one, though) into a swimming pool??
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 05:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
The prius is a pathetic excuse for a car. It looks ugly, has pathetic performance figures and not as economical as you may think.

If you want fuel efficiency, DRIVE A MARUTI 800!!
I think looks depend on individual tastes. I quite like the futuristic look of the Car. As for performance, my friend own a Prius and has been driving 42 miles each way on highway and still gets 45mpg. So I don't 'think' that it has economical performance, I know it. If you still don't believe Prius mpg, go to any US Toyota dealer and try to buy a Prius... there is a 3 week wait period. Do not go by what Car and Driver or Top Gear tell you about FE, ask people who own the cars.

Maruti may also give same FE but it is not as big as Prius nor does it have 90 bhp. So good luck driving it on a Freeway at 65 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
If you want a show with humdrum figures, dont watch Top Gear.
Dude, I like Top gear and I love watching JC rip apart all cars, but I always have it at the back of my mind that he is an entertainer and not to be taken seriously. Definitely not serious enough to open a thread on a forum to diss a Hybrid car solely based on his show.