Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th November 2009, 02:00   #151
Senior - BHPian

No matter what everyone thinks, once this car goes on sale E-Class will only play a second fiddle! Sorry but with this car BMW takes a leap in the segment and wait till the reviews come ...I just cannot stop looking at it's rear or the interior!
Old 30th November 2009, 12:50   #152
Senior - BHPian

Official driving footages:

Old 30th November 2009, 13:21   #153
Senior - BHPian

A beautiful launch video of new 5, all the 5-series fans must watch this one.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:47   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Oh and a lot more! God I can't imagine anyone else buying another car in this segment now,

Hooydonk has done a great job on the F10 after the buzz surrounding the E60. The F10 looks more grown up, more focussed on the job at hand and certainly looks much much better than the W212 ( which to me looks 'very busy', too intricate). Hooydonk has left out all the Bangled bungles ( pun intended - no bustle butts) and has returned to extend traditional BMW design elements ( the driver facing fascia for instance). The F10 looks more purposeful.
And there are no four cylinder engines at all ( except in the entry level 520d) both for its petrol and diesel engines, which is good as it plays to the strength of BMW as a great straight six cylinder engine maker.

Now how to get all of that that money to buy one.
Old 30th November 2009, 21:09   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In fact, the only thing that keeps me away from a 530d is the front end design.
What are you talking about, man. Just shut your eyes and get one !! When you're driving that rabid creature, the front end isn't going to matter one bit
Old 1st December 2009, 01:13   #156
BHPian

Meh. The front end is indeed disappointing. I don't believe seeing in flesh will make a huge difference about the front design. Even if they had to move away from previous design, at least it could have been similar to 3's headlights and the face/grill angle. Never really fancied the straight face of the 7. It hurts especially since the previous one imposed a better looks, albeit feeling somewhat immature to some.

I hate the shark's face theme on some BMWs.

Nothing else to complain about in the new one. The rear is amazing. I can keep looking at it all day. :P
Old 1st December 2009, 18:50   #157
BHPian

Any idea when is the 2011 BMW 5 series headed for our showrooms?
Old 1st December 2009, 19:13   #158
Senior - BHPian

Sandeepm777, Before September 2010 for sure
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:30   #159
Senior - BHPian

Havnt had the time to go through the entire thread so just going ahead with my situation and question anyway. We r planning to take quite a big leap. We have a Civic that we bought as soon as it launched in 2006 & a brand new i20 1.4 automatic (for the city). Just today, dad asked me about selling the civic off and going for a bigger car. Within the blink of an eye i told him, "lets wait till 2010" . I am very much looking forward to the f10 and hoping and praying that they come out with EVEN better engines than the existing fleet (as i wouldnt be caught DEAD going for the E or A6...hate benz and not that the audi is bad but just that im totally in love with bmw for more than a decade now). Two options that have particularly caught my interest are the 535i in the petrol and the 530d but with improved power and more refinement. Does anyone have any idea atall if the 535i would be making its debut into India with the f10 ??? 1 more question that struck me is ( pardon me if its silly) Would the engine thats doing duty in the latest z4 3.0 that churns out a massive 309bhp, be making its way into the 5series with the tag as 535i ???? That would b a dream come true. If not, basically all i would like to know is , the most expected choice of engines for both petrol as well as deisel. Eagerly awaiting someone's response to this post.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd December 2009 at 09:50. Reason: Please refrain from typing the entire post in Bold.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:57   #160
Senior - BHPian

All I know is, the M5 is gonna look so tame!
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:59   #161
Senior - BHPian

Isn't that the whole point of an M car? It looks like a regular BMW until the driver steps on the pedal and leaves you for dead.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:06   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

It just looks so bland! I mean, no character at ALL! I mean BMWs should have some character. Not one to make you puke(like the old 5 series), but something to make you WANT one. The old E39 was the best. The rear of the F0 however looks GORGEOUS! But that's down to the tail lights only.

I'm still unable to get over how the designers can just elongate a 3 series and call it the 5. It's becoming a trend among the Germans. Audi did it with the new A8, BMW did it with the new 5. Let's see what Mercedes does when it releases the new S class.

This really gives credence to Jeremy Clarkson saying, "It's just some car. I want 15 feet of BMW. You'll want the 5 series then." I didnt believe JC when he said it earlier. At that time, the 5 looked distinctive. But now, it looks lost.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 2nd December 2009 at 12:09.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:24   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Does anyone have any idea atall if the 535i would be making its debut into India with the f10 ??
I wouldn't be surprised. BMW has to respond to the E350.

Quote:
1 more question that struck me is ( pardon me if its silly) Would the engine thats doing duty in the latest z4 3.0 that churns out a massive 309bhp, be making its way into the 5series with the tag as 535i ??
All comes down to tuning. I doubt the engine characteristics would be the same for a Z4 and a 5. The engine in the 5 would be tuned for a comparitively sedate drive IMO.
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:40   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

All comes down to tuning. I doubt the engine characteristics would be the same for a Z4 and a 5. The engine in the 5 would be tuned for a comparitively sedate drive IMO.

thanks for the prompt response flyingspur and i also did go through many of the posts over the last few pages and noticed that the f10 is receiving severe criticism for its NONaggressive or bland looks. in my opinion , it wouldnt b bad atall for bmw when the f10 actually launches here as it mite turn out to be a runaway hit stealing the show from the new E . I agree the looks are not as eye catching as the E60 ( though i find the f10 very sexy in its own right) but then many people who are buying a Rs.50lakh vehicle, prefer a car that looks elegant or classy rather than a car that looks ,perhaps ....aggressive or mean like the E60 did. Had Mercedes come up with the new E looking as good as the current E60 does, then i suppose the F10 wouldv had stiff competetion but since the E looks so dam weird & cheap from rear profile , and the f10 looks very good ( just unaggressive with less of an oomph factor) i guess it would have no problems in selling in big numbers. Atleast im a fan of its looks. Cmon guys, adapting to change...isnt that what life's all about ? :P
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:00   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It just looks so bland! I mean, no character at ALL! I mean BMWs should have some character. Not one to make you puke(like the old 5 series), but something to make you WANT one. The old E39 was the best. The rear of the F0 however looks GORGEOUS! But that's down to the tail lights only.

I'm still unable to get over how the designers can just elongate a 3 series and call it the 5. It's becoming a trend among the Germans. Audi did it with the new A8, BMW did it with the new 5. Let's see what Mercedes does when it releases the new S class.

This really gives credence to Jeremy Clarkson saying, "It's just some car. I want 15 feet of BMW. You'll want the 5 series then." I didnt believe JC when he said it earlier. At that time, the 5 looked distinctive. But now, it looks lost.
>>> Much better to be a wolf in sheep's clothing than the other way round, don't you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

>>> Ref: Wikipedia :

F10/F11 (2011-)
The F10 has, for the European market at least, a choice of 7 engines: a 4.4 litre N63 topping the range in the 550i, followed by a trio of straight 6 petrols. Despite many rumours[13] to the contrary, BMW's second best selling model after the 3 series does not use any 4 cylinder petrol engines this time round. Instead, BMW has retained, for the time being at least, a trio of straight 6 engines, completing the petrol engine range. Straight six engines offer superior refinement over their 4 cylinder counterparts, as well as being the trademark BMW engine which has featured in so many of the company's most loved cars: the E28 and E34 M5, E36 and E46 M3, not to mention the iconic BMW E26 M1. The 535i has the 306 bhp/295 lb ft(400 N m) BMW N55 engine which made its debut in the F07 5er GT, and will shortly find its way into the facelifted BMW E92 and E93[14]. The magnesium block naturally aspirated direct injection straight 6 continues in Europe at least; this engine is the BMW N53; 3.0 litres, 258 bhp for the 528i, and 2.5 litres and 204 bhp for the 523i, same outputs as the BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i. It is not known what engine BMW will use here for markets outside of Europe due to fuel quality problems, most likely the BMW N52 will continue here.

The 4 petrol engines are complemented by a trio of diesel engines. Again, despite rumours to the contrary[15], BMW has decided to only offer 1 4 cylinder engine here: the 520d. This means that the 525d continues to offer the superior mechanical refinement of a straight six as opposed to the rumoured 523d with 4 cylinders. The 525d is joined by a 530d; both models use the same BMW N57 3.0 litre engine, the 525d has 204 bhp and 450 N m, the 530d with 245 bhp and 540 N m of torque. Expect hybrid models later, as well as more powerful straight 6 diesel to replace the award winning 535d.
------------------

Further the following is a preview of the F10 from National Post, Canada :

The sixth-generation BMW 5 Series sedan is, without question, the best looking 5 to date. It has a much stronger front end, two strong character lines that sweep through the side of the body and a tidy tail that’s less bustled. The real beauty of the design, however, is its elegant simplicity — it relies as much on the shadows and highlights imparted by the key character lines as it does of the lines themselves.

The newest 5 is also the largest to date — the wheelbase grows by 80 millimetres to 2,968 mm, which brings much better back seat room. The overall length increases by 40 mm to 4,899 mm, primarily because of the very short front overhang. The new body is also 55% stiffer than the outgoing model’s, and it sheds 23 kilograms by using aluminum in its doors along with the front fenders and hood.

When the 2011 5 Series arrives in June, it will be offered in two different flavours. The 535i arrives with a turbocharged 3.0-litre in-line six. It feeds a healthy 300 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque (at just 1,200 rpm) to the rear wheels. The uplevel 550i puts BMW’s 4.4L twin-turbo V8 under the hood. It delivers 400 stampeding horses, 442 lb-ft of torque at 1,750 rpm and a spirited five-second run to 100 kilometres an hour — not bad for a portly 1,905-kilogram sedan. Both engines are teamed with BMW’s eight-speed automatic.

Toward the end of 2010, the 528i will be added to the range — it will be powered by a 240-hp in-line six. BMW would not say when the inevitable xDrive model will debut, nor would it speculate on an M5 derivative.

The car’s level of technology has also been significantly ramped up. Along with things such as active bi-xenon headlights and BMW’s driver-selectable Adaptive Drive (which allows the driver to tune the damping and driving characteristics to suit the nature of the drive) comes a number of other advanced features.

Top View shows a 360-degree bird’s-eye view in the 6.7-inch control display screen by using front and rear cameras along with a pair of door mirror-mounted cameras. There are also lane departure and blind spot monitoring systems as well as a collision warning system with brake activation. The last item is an extension of the active cruise control. After warning the driver by flashing a warning light and then adding an audible tone, the system applies the brakes if the driver does not take any action to avoid a potential collision.

The coolest option is the Parking Assistant. It measures the size of a potential parallel parking spot (at speeds up to 35 km/h) and then backs the car into the space. The electrically assisted steering swings the wheel left and right as the 5 Series is inched into position. All the driver has to do is look after the gas and brake pedals.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 2nd December 2009 at 19:08. Reason: Additional information
Closed Thread