Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 11th July 2008, 02:30   #1
BANNED

Default New SuperSmall FIAT TOPOLINO

Just went through Worldcarfans.com and stumbled across this interesting article.

Quote:

Fiat has started testing a new mini-car to challenge the Smart ForTwo and upcoming city cars like the Volkswagen Up! and Toyota iQ. The Fiat will share a platform with the Panda and 500 but be shorter still. At 3.20 metres the new Fiat, likely to be named the Topolino, would undercut the 3.55-metres-long 500 but still offer seating for four. The Toyota and Volkswagen are expected to be 3.15 metres and 3.4 metres long respectively. The structure of new car will be made of tubular cells, and designed to offer high levels of protection to the occupants in case of crashes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 11th July 2008 at 02:35.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 02:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

The camouflaged car, being based on Panda and the presence of the panda rear quarter glass, does not look like having same lines as the first image. Maybe just a prototype to test the running gear.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 03:59   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Wow!the car looks damn cute.Now why cant Fiat make this one in India.Im sure if priced properly,it will sell.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 09:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The camouflaged car, being based on Panda and the presence of the panda rear quarter glass, does not look like having same lines as the first image. Maybe just a prototype to test the running gear.
. The first car doesnt match the looks of camouflaged car. The camouflaged car does seem to be based on Panda. I think Fiat should launch
a Fiat Uno , Panda & New Palio in India. How i wish all of Uno & Panda also get the MJD ! Yum!! I know im dreaming too much!
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 12:06   #5
BHPian

Default 65bhp - 900cc - 2 cylinder - TC

"...Technically the Topolino will offer the latest in safety and motorisations. Among the engines available will be the new 65bhp turbocharged 2-cylinder 900cc SGE (Small Gasoline Engine), as well as a hybrid variant. All versions of the new Topolino will conform to Euro IV standards. The 65bhp SGE engine will produce less than 100 grams of CO2 per kilometre...."

source: ::ITALIASPEED::
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 12:14   #6
BHPian

The car is the first pic certainly is a looker. The features sound good too. Seems to be tailor made for developing countries.
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 12:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

The first car looks like it will give a good run for money and pose competition to Smart cars and its siblings.
It would be great to have such cars in India too..not to forget our own NANO solution !!
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 13:00   #8
BANNED

The camoflauged car has the panda rear end but i am sure it is just a shell for component testing. The first picture is an artists rendering.

@Karanraheja, The palio stile is the latest palio, The UNO is officialy out of productiion (but in india it is coming back!!!)
Old 11th July 2008, 14:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

The first picture is clearly a 500-inspired artists impression. But lets hope the final product looks more like that than the panda lookalike, which is ugly to look at.

Source: Cars & Car Dealers | UK Motoring Research
Attached Images

MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 14:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

It looks good. I am sure it wont make it to our shores.

However packing in four is not something good for such a small car and I wonder how will they manage. If they are able to manage, its great, but then this is purely a city car aimed at upcoming iQ from Toyota.

Moreover, IMO, this car will also compete agianst Smart.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 14:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
@Karanraheja, The palio stile is the latest palio, The UNO is officialy out of productiion (but in india it is coming back!!!)
Cyrus Bhai.Brazil has got the new Palio sometime back. Palio Stile aint the latest Palio as of today ! Yeah Uno would be a good VFM . But i guess it ll take around 2 yrs before it hits our shores.

New Palio in Brazil

Last edited by karanraheja : 11th July 2008 at 14:59.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 14:59   #12
BHPian

No one will even buy 500 now, not even for snob value or exclusivity.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 23:08   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Cyrus Bhai.Brazil has got the new Palio sometime back. Palio Stile aint the latest Palio as of today ! Yeah Uno would be a good VFM . But i guess it ll take around 2 yrs before it hits our shores.

New Palio in Brazil

I didnt know this!! Thanks. And i wasnt taking about the new UNO or annything. I was talking about the old UNOs production getting restarted!! I dont have concrete facts as of now but wait and watch.

Edit- The Current Palio looks MUCH better.
Old 26th July 2008, 01:23   #14
BHPian

Default Some more of the new Topolino!

"Say ciao bella to the Fiat 500’s little brother! This compact city car is aiming to repeat the success of the rec­ently resurrected classic by offering buyers plenty of style – but in an even smaller package.
Codenamed ‘Topolino’ after the original model, which arrived in 1937 and was one of the smallest cars in the world at that time, the newcomer is Fiat’s answer to a raft of forthcoming micro machines. These cars, such as the VW up! and Toyota iQ, are all aimed at reducing the average CO2 outputs of manufacturers’ ranges.
With a body length of less than three metres, the Fiat will also rival current cars such as Smart’s ForTwo."

"It also features a new layout. As with the up!, the Topolino will be rear-wheel drive and have its engine mounted underneath the boot. This allows engineers to maximise interior space and ensure the car complies with crash regulations. Power will be taken from Fiat’s forthcoming 900cc two-cylinder petrol engine."

Read more here :-
Topolino reborn! | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express
Attached Thumbnails
New SuperSmall FIAT TOPOLINO-car_photo_261969_25.jpg  

New SuperSmall FIAT TOPOLINO-car_photo_261972_25.jpg  

New SuperSmall FIAT TOPOLINO-car_photo_261966_25.jpg  

roms is online now   Reply With Quote