Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 29th May 2004, 01:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well put p-head. I 3rd it after GTO (or 4th it i think since rehaan agreed too).

S-350. I love fast cars. And yes if i owned one tomorrow, i'd drive it to the max and seriously not bother tooo much about the typical "average kya hai!" problem....

... my problem though is two fold

1. Oil prices have risen really fast in the last 3-4 years. As i mentioned before too. And if you think its only me who drives economy cars is worrying, you've got me all wrong. Check out M5board and read up posts on how many people are really buying. You'll see hints between the lines of people not putting in the money for the next gen M5 even though they have the money. Reason? Oil prices have literally gone up like hell and running such cars, for traditional M5 and other performance car owners is getting waaay too expensive.

2. The .1 difference might be true for the E55 since it never was really very fuel efficient ever. But you know, the same test carried out by CAR in 2002 December saw them barely do 200 miles on full tanks. Not too much really if you consider that they pretty much have 70+ litre tanks.

3. Now 500 hp cars are great. And i am putting the Gallardo into this equation. Now my question really is, by shoving up the power rating, are executive performance sedans now in a market where they are targetting a market that doesnt exist? Look, the western part of the world which buys a major chunk of these sedans is under a recession. Coupled with rising oil prices. So expect a lot of people not to put their money forward. Also, with 500 bhp i am really wondering what to do? Germany has started putting speed limits on the autobahns on certain sections and gradually on the whole network. So one place where you could drive your cars very fast is gone.
Again p-head said that the car wud be buying groceries rather than being on the track. Hell i wouldnt take such a car to the track. The Nov 00 issue of CAR clearly showed that inspite of the M5 being a wonderful car, you cant drive it around the track. It just isnt a track car. Its too heavy and ponderous, has body roll and doesnt go smoothly around corners like say an M3. Why, even best motoring complained about the M5 being too ponderous on the track in the JDM vs BMWs video.

So now you cant drive it on the autobahns. You cant take it to the track. Basically you cant take it anywhere. Except groceries. I am not even putting the Nurburgring into the equation, cuz those kind of tracks are too few and far between. So how bad are companies getting their target markets wrong?

The basic requirement of a performance sedan was to give substantially better performance, yet pretty much be reasonably enough to maintain it. But with 500 hp sedans coming in a pretty bad economic time for the western world, oil prices remaining high, speed limits being lowered in most european countries and their inherent inability to set the tracks afire, they are just being reduced to picking up groceries.

The hp rating is great. But good enough only to boast at your neighbour's party. If you really want to spend that kind of money on a car that produces 500 bhp and/or sub 5 second time, go for sports cars like the GT3, Gallardo, 911 turbo, modena etc. Ok, you cant drive fast on the autobahns, but atleast you can take them circuit racing and have more fun in them. Now you might say here, that these cars are nearly twice or thrice as expensive. True. But atleast they are more practical. They do whats said on the tin. The current lot of performance sedans are a bunch of cars with their hands tied to their back. Sorry to say, though i like all the current gen performance sedans and the upcoming M5, i am ashamed to say, THEY ALL LACK CHARACTER.

Keep Revvin ?
Revvmaster

Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2004, 02:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

agree with you revv, very true. how much as you expect other countries not to worry about our average problem, when it comes to these uber-saloons it becomes pretty significant. and it's that times of the decade again, the world is on the verge of recession. and guess what? Bugatti has another supercar on the plans. well they have for a long time, but you know what, they will probably release it when the recession is on it's peak, just like they do everytime. maybe it's a strategy, but i fail to see the logic behind it. and now since VWs credibillity has been questioned to a certain extent thanks to the Veyron, they will produce it. but won't really sell too many. and Bugatti not being on it's own this time, will mean incurring huge losses on VW. lucky they have deep pockets.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2004, 02:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

To give you an idea of what others are discussing on other messageboards, here's one

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41588

And there are several more. Goes to show, this hp race is getting nowhere.

P-head, we both have discussed the Veyron at length during our chats. And yes, you are right about it. They'll launch at the peak of the recession, then realise its all wrong and launch just a few. Don't be surprised if it tanks just like the XJ220.

Keep Revvin ™
Revvmaster
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2004, 19:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Revv,
Last i read was all E55's get sold before dealers even get them,
I agree to ur point abt the horsepower not needed, but when you talk abt fuel economy, well forget these cars even the S350 goes about 390 KM per full tank of 88 L,
So i dont really justify ur point on the fuel economy,
The rest im goin to say this i Agree on the Bhp war, for which i think mercedes is to blame who just cant bare to be 2nd to anyone in the Bhp race,
But then i dont think people aint buyin these cars cuz they're sold out before even reaching the dealer,
Will check out that post in a while to get a better idea till then keep fighting

*pringles for all* lol
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote