Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 09:52   #46
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,894
Thanked: 9,748 Times
Default Re: Has anyone seen the VW Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Seems like VW dealers got a Phaeton each for a steal. The owner of VW Pune West owns a Phaeton too. Surprising because he never spent money on luxury cars.
I get the feeling they were "encouraged" to buy one.

Adding to my story, I asked the salesman - why spend Rs 50L on this when I can buy a good used S or 7

His reply - "Those are common"

My counterpoint- "This looks kike a Passat"

silence
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:59   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
S2!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,811
Thanked: 9,108 Times
Default Re: Has anyone seen the VW Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I get the feeling they were "encouraged" to buy one.

Adding to my story, I asked the salesman - why spend Rs 50L on this when I can buy a good used S or 7

His reply - "Those are common"

My counterpoint- "This looks kike a Passat"

silence
Have had a ride in the Phaeton. It is quite a competent car and honestly at 96L it was not worth the price especially when you have the S-Class and 7 series as your competitor. BUT at 50L it was definitely worth every penny considering the air-suspension, 4zone climate control and massage rear seat. Yes the car looks drab and the (3.6 V6) petrol engine doesn't return more than 4kmpl but the back-seat does tend to spoil you and cocoons you from the outside world, hence, as a chauffeur driven car for daily use, it definitely is worth considering if you are the one who wants to enjoy your money but don't want people to know you are rich.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 13:00   #48
BHPian
 
Kaumad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 134
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Has anyone seen the VW Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My counterpoint- "This looks kike a Passat"
The same can be said about all the new gen Audis and the 3 & 5 series BMWs. Just because the Phaeton looks like a bigger Passat, it is not worth buying?

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 13:47. Reason: Please do NOT get personal. When Moderators post, they do so as enthusiasts
Kaumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 13:47   #49
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,894
Thanked: 9,748 Times
Default Re: Has anyone seen the VW Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Have had a ride in the Phaeton. It...........use, it definitely is worth considering if you are the one who wants to enjoy your money but don't want people to know you are rich.
Agreed, the qualities of the car are skewed toward engineering depth as opposed to presence (which the market depends). My issue is Rs 50Lakhs for a three year old Phaeton was pushing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
The same can be said about all the new gen Audis and the 3 & 5 series BMWs. Just because the Phaeton looks like a bigger Passat, it is not worth buying?
I think you missed the big picture - the normal buyer will buy a BMW/Audi because of the brand. Most of us need more than a glance to figure whether it is a 3/5/7. Glance at a Phaeton, its a VW first and the normal buyer will be looking at the brand and not the car for itself. Even driving dynamics are very capable as opposed to be outstanding. Except for engineering quirks and over perfection in HVAC systems, the car does not stand out. During the Passat launch, the VW product manager was bewildered at why 10 Phaeton's were sold that month!

I still stand by my opinion - it looks like a big Passat. What was your opinion apart from

BTW, I forgot to mention the rest of the conversation - I went and bought a tiny Phaeton errm no, not it was a small Passat, whoops actually, it was a large Vento, cut to the chase - a Jetta!

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 13:47. Reason: Quoted post edited
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 13:57   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
S2!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,811
Thanked: 9,108 Times
Default Re: Has anyone seen the VW Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Agreed, the qualities of the car are skewed toward engineering depth as opposed to presence (which the market depends). My issue is Rs 50Lakhs for a three year old Phaeton was pushing it
oh I think we both were not on the same track. I was talking about the discount being offered on a 'new' Phaeton which had brought down the price to nearly 50l on road. I guess you were talking about the pre-owned Phaeton.

when you say 50L for a pre-owned Phaeton was pushing it even though its a V8. Still a brand new 3.6V6 is worth a look at 50L. But I doubt they have any cars left over for sale. Last I heard was they had cleared their inventory and are expecting a newer model by next year.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 14:14   #51
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 678
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Has anyone seen the VW Phaeton

It's a fairly well established fact that the Phaeton was one of Ferdinand Piech's two follies as Chairman of VAG. The other was the Veyron (more on this later in the post).
The Phaeton design blueprint as specified by Piech was insane, the most telling of which was that the Phaeton should be capable of being driven all day at 300 kilometers per hour (186 mph) with an exterior temperature of 50C while maintaining the interior temperature at 22 (never mind that the car was limited to 250 kph). If you dwell on this statement for a moment, you'll realize that this is a testament not just to the air-conditioning, but to every aspect of the car.

Unfortunately, what VW built was a car that was over-engineered to the extreme, but had no styling presence whatsoever and when VW asked people to fork out as much cash as they'd pay for an S-class, they were bringing a knife to a gunfight.

It's a similar story with the Veyron. I rate it as the best car in the world today and it's a feat of automotive excellence, but what has it done for VW? Absolutely nothing.
99% of the car-buying public doesn't associate a Veyron with VAG, they associate it with Bugatti and despite the average $2 mil price-tag, Bugatti loses money on every Veyron that they make.
You could argue that this was good for Bugatti's brand image, but they don't make any other cars so that argument doesn't hold. I can't see how it's good for VAG either because there's no part-sharing or tech trickledown to other brands happening either.

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2012 at 13:48. Reason: Removing quoted post
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:35   #52
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,070
Thanked: 15,623 Times
Default Re: Has anyone seen the VW Phaeton

Volkswagen confirms a new Phaeton is under development.

Quote:
New details are starting to emerge about the 2015 Phaeton as Volkswagen's research and development chief has confirmed the model is currently under development.
Speaking at the Paris Motor Show
the publication says the model will have an aluminum body architecture which will enable it to be lighter than its predecessor, also says the Phaeton will keep its premium positioning and target the Jaguar XJ
http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen...us-return.html
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roadside Bumper repair guys. Has anyone seen or tried them? EDIT : Pics on pg 2 Dippy Modifications & Accessories 52 15th November 2011 14:53
Has anyone seen an SRV on the road yet? himanshugoswami The Indian Car Scene 50 28th September 2006 10:21
Esteem VXi 2003 only 4k km done... anyone seen it? aalaap Sedans 8 7th January 2006 21:20
Wow, has anyone ever seen this or  know what it is _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 7 14th May 2004 23:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks