Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 23rd August 2008, 01:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mercedes Benz S-Class: Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Year

Adding to its already distinguished résumé, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class has once again been named the best new luxury car in the Auto Express "New Car Honours." This marks the third consecutive year the S-Class has won the award, a further testament to the luxury sedan's impressive dominance in its respective segment.

According to Auto Express editor in chief David Johns: "Few cars have reigned over such competitive sectors with such complete authority as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. To many there simply isn’t a better limousine. Beautifully engineered both inside and out, it’s one of those rare cars that is as good to drive as it is to be driven in."

Dermot Kelly, managing director of Mercedes-Benz, added: "The S-Class has been an enduring success with press and customers alike and accounted for one in every four luxury saloon sales last year. We are delighted that Auto Express still recognises S-Class as the best luxury car in the sector."

To learn more about the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and its victory in the Auto Express New Car Honours 2008, you can find the full details in the official press release below.

Enjoy.

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

Mercedes-Benz S-Class again retains Auto Express New Car Honour as Best Luxury Car

Milton Keynes – The Mercedes-Benz S-Class has been crowned Best Luxury Car at the Auto Express New Car Honours 2008, winning the title for the third consecutive year.

Editor in Chief, David Johns commented that “few cars have reigned over such competitive sectors with such complete authority as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. To many there simply isn’t a better limousine. Beautifully engineered both inside and out, it’s one of those rare cars that is as good to drive as it is to be driven in”.

Dermot Kelly, Managing Director of Mercedes-Benz said: “S-Class has been an enduring success with press and customers alike and accounted for one in every four luxury saloon sales last year. We are delighted that Auto Express still recognises S-Class as the best luxury car in the sector.”

The award-winning S-Class family has been the flagship model by which all others were judged for over 50 years during which it has continued to offer innovative technology, enhanced safety features including Nightview Assist, Brake Assist PLUS and DISTRONIC PLUS as well as supreme comfort for passengers in the spacious cabin and for the driver at the wheel.

As well as epitomising luxury, style and comfort the truly refined S-Class was the first car to achieve the Environmental Certificate from Germany’s influential TUV institute. The certificate not only takes into consideration the emissions of the car when it is on the road, but also overall emissions during the car’s whole life cycle from production, through the recyclable parts at the end of the car’s life, as well as materials used. Mercedes-Benz is still the only automotive manufacturer to have achieved this accolade, now for five of its current models.

The Mercedes-Benz S-Class is available from £55,885 (S 320 CDI) on the road and can achieve up to 34 mpg on the combined cycle emitting 220 g/km of CO2. As with every Mercedes-Benz model the S-Class comes with a three year, unlimited mileage warranty and is covered by Mobilolife – a unique package comprising 30-year pan-European breakdown assistance.

Source: Mercedes-Benz S-Class Named Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Year | eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz S-Class: Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Year-21_2009_mercedes_benz_s_class.jpg  

Mercedes Benz S-Class: Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Year-s_class_media_02_2.jpg  

Last edited by hanmust : 23rd August 2008 at 01:48.
hanmust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I love the Mercedes S-Class, and that statement includes any generation. The S-Class represents the world's greatest car manufacturer doing what they do best. It is my absolute favorite sedan and nothing can beat what it stands for, its history, pedigree, heritage and extravagance. I yearn for the W126, W140 and W220....the W221 is a heck of a luxo-barge too, but I can't digest the awkward design. It has presence, yes, but is far from timeless. An S-Class just has to be timeless.

Coming back to the topic, despite my favoritism with the S, I don't agree with Auto Express' decision. Why? Simply because for "luxury" alone, the Lexus LS460 has the S-Class beaten. The LS scores higher points for comfort , has a better ride and is quieter on the move (bet that works for the 19 speaker sound system!!). Most importantly, it is infinitely more reliable than the W221 S-Class. Consider this : the LS has maintained the best ranking in JD's dependability surveys for 13 years, as well as topped Consumer reports several times! While the Germans want to combine handling + ride quality + sporty + driving dynamics in their luxury cars, Lexus focuses on one thing and that only : Luxury. To an enthusiast who loves to drive, the S & 7 are a fit. But for the typical chauffeur-driven CEO, the LS460 is king.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I love the Mercedes S-Class, and that statement includes any generation. The S-Class represents the world's greatest car manufacturer doing what they do best. It is my absolute favorite sedan and nothing can beat what it stands for, its history, pedigree, heritage and extravagance. I yearn for the W126, W140 and W220....the W221 is a heck of a luxo-barge too, but I can't digest the awkward design. It has presence, yes, but is far from timeless. An S-Class just has to be timeless.
As soon as I read that first part, I was like wait, I have to say something about that. Didn't need to, you mentioned my point yourself. I'm not a big fan of the W221 either. It's just plain annoying how the world had to move on from the E39's and the W220's, and lose all the charm in the process. Over the W221, I'd definitely pick a Bangle (or a van Hooydonk from next month).

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 23rd August 2008 at 23:23.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 00:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The LS scores higher points for comfort , has a better ride and is quieter on the move (bet that works for the 19 speaker sound system!!). .
That is not even remotely true.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0701_luxcomparo_finalresults_ss.pdf (116.4 KB, 342 views)
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 04:29   #5
BHPian

Yeah yeah. Here we go again. Mercedes vs Lexus.

While both of them are luxury brands, I think they both cater to a different clientele.

While Mercedes-Benz has a long reputation of technological innovation and luxury and the fact that it is German, Lexus is considered more like the new kid on the block, despite the fact that it's been in North America for over 2 decades. Perhaps the perception that most of their models are sold as Toyotas elsewhere adds to it.

While luxury car buyers would surely go for creature comforts, a lot of them also like to be associated with a brand name. And looking at Mercedes' profile, the cheapest thing in the market is an A-Class (Smart isn't exactly Mercedes), it suits them perfectly.

I mean recently the Genesis was compared with the Lexus GS and was preferred over it in Autoblog, speaks that it's not immune to competition from similar models, something which Lexus itself was about 20 years back.

As for me, if I wanted style, luxury and brand recognition, I'd go with a Jaguar.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 08:17   #6
Team-BHP Support

I'd say, to each his own.
There really not much to choose between any of these cars except reliability, where the Lexus is King.
If you go back in time, it would always be a tough fight between the Merc S and the Jag XJ.
The Merc usually won because of its better reliability, build quality and great interior space. The Jag had performance and ride quality on its side. The others weren't even on the same page. What the hell, there was nothing called Lexus.
Today, things have changed and all these cars are fairly close to each other. Whenever, a new one is launched, it's better than the others, till the other manufacturer comes up with something else. Each magazine has a different winner.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 10:26   #7
BANNED

Yup that's true. Each magazine will have a different winner with different parameters. All these cars are so closely stacked now that picking a car is more about personal choice than out and out winner. The brand sells and people are usually more attracted to the 3 pointed star than to the blue propeller or the rings. Nevertheless the new 7 series is said to bring the fight even closer to the s class. Also on many occasions the Audi A8 has beaten the s class but as they say big audis never sell. IMO the VW phaeton is also a very good car bogged down by the image.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 13:02   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
That is not even remotely true.
Merve, I can link to an equal amount of reviews that state the LS is better for comfort. BTW, whose review is that? Is it from a reputable publication?

The point is : Have you sat in both and compared for yourself? I have driven the S350L / S320 CDI extensively (Indian versions) and have sat in the LS460L (not driven) for about 30 miles. I can tell you that the LS is more comfortable for the rear-bencher.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

1. What is `Auto Express'? Not only Merc, seems like every car has won at least 2 awards from some mag or association or other similar PR fronts.
2. Award noted without comment. Suggest to close this thread before it becomes another Merc PR mouthpiece or another Merc vs. all comers.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 23:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Merve, I can link to an equal amount of reviews that state the LS is better for comfort. BTW, whose review is that? Is it from a reputable publication?
YOu actually don;t have to post a different link. In the same link that Merve has posted Lexus wins over mercedes for luxury, comfort and gizmos. Merc however wins gig over Lexus in the 'gotta have it' and ride and handling categories.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 23:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Merve, I can link to an equal amount of reviews that state the LS is better for comfort. BTW, whose review is that? Is it from a reputable publication? .
Yes it's from Car And Driver.I can give you links from Autobild,AMS you name it.Here is one from AMS but sadly its in German.
fahrkomfort means travelling comfort
Mercedes Benz S-Class: Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Year-s550vs750ivsls4605yh6.jpg

Quote:
YOu actually don;t have to post a different link. In the same link that Merve has posted Lexus wins over mercedes for luxury, comfort and gizmos. Merc however wins gig over Lexus in the 'gotta have it' and ride and handling categories.
If you see closely both have same score for comfort,actually S has better driver comfort.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 26th August 2008 at 00:07.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:37   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Merve, like I said earlier, there are an equal amount of reviews that state the LS as more comfortable. The only real way to gauge is to take a ride yourself. Trust me, both cars are supreme...but for sheer comfort, the LS has the edge.
Old 15th April 2009, 06:22   #13
BHPian

Default New Facelift S Class

Mod. didn't wanted to open a new thread as this is just a facelift to old Merc S Class. Delete the post if already exists.

Mercedes Benz S-Class: Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Year-s-class.jpg
Mercedes Benz S-Class: Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Year-s-class1.jpg
Mercedes Benz S-Class: Best New Luxury Car By Auto Express For Third Consecutive Year-mercedessclassfacelift5.jpg

There not many changes in the interior. There will be new model launch in 2010 S400 Hybrid which will be similar dimension to current model S320 CDI.
zibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I suppose the taillamps have become more acceptable now. I simply don't understand why Mercedes has to include those LED strips/fogs on the lower bumpers though. Audi did and it looked classy. Mercedes has done it on the W212 and it reeks imitation/afterthought.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 21:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I suppose the taillamps have become more acceptable now. I simply don't understand why Mercedes has to include those LED strips/fogs on the lower bumpers though. Audi did and it looked classy. Mercedes has done it on the W212 and it reeks imitation/afterthought.
Just what I mentioned on another thread. On both counts, I agree with you. Tail lamps look so much better, and the use of the LEDs seems too Audi-like.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote