Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 28th August 2008, 06:52   #1
Senior - BHPian
Thumbs down Chrysler Selling the Viper?

Chrysler is not bitten the bullet. first it was GM with the Hummer, now these folks want to offload Doge Viper- or as they say "exploring strategic options for the Dodge Viper business."

Dodge introduced the Viper at the 1989 Detroit auto show and started building it in 1992. Chrysler has made about 25,000 Vipers since.

Sales of the sports car peaked in 2003 at 2,103.

The 600-hp supercar is made at the Conner Avenue plant in Detroit, which employs 110 workers. The plant has just begun production of 2009 models. Goyer said the Viper business would continue as usual for dealers.

With Cerberus Capital Management as its majority owner, Chrysler has been selling a number of assets. The automaker has sold its Tritec Motors engine plant in Brazil to Fiat Powertrain Technologies and its Pacifica Advance Design Center in Carlsbad, Calif., to Chrysler's former owner, Daimler AG.

Chrysler also has put two Detroit area office complexes on the market.

They keep saying they want to retreat to their Core- question is WHAT is their core? isnt auto manufacturing their core? So by selling off some iconic products, how will it help?

They'll do all this, but wont sell thir private jets, and they definitly wont make the executives (CEOs, CFOs etc) take a paycut.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 08:03   #2

Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
"exploring strategic options for the Dodge Viper business"
the above statement is 'American' way by all means. Btw: I read else where that Crysler might file bankruptcy.

One of the reasons main reasons Diamler dumped Crysler was, the later was basically eating up in Diamler's revenues.

nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 09:33   #3

retreat to core? The Dodge Viper is the halo car of their erm... halo company(Dodge). Splitting them up would be like splitting Corvette from Chevrolet.
Amien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 13:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

Just as expected! First Jeep and now the Viper! Cerberus is selling Chrysler part by part; they'll sell the high-value brands for big moolah, and then slip a "focused" Chrysler in the market. Word on the street is that the eventual owner of Chrysler will be an Indian or Chinese company. Or even Nissan - Renault.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 14:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I hope Bajaj will pick up this one.

On a serious note, why ? aren't there any takers for these cars now ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 15:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

...and they keep coming out with irrelevant special edition versions of the PT-Cruiser. Hopeless company. I'm glad if it gets dilluted into better hands and sells, for a change, cars which actually have some demand in the market! When will certain companies understand the importance of demographic economics?!
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 16:45   #7

The Viper surely doesn't sell on performance alone, almost every generation of the corvette bests it in handling around corners(although the acceleration was better or on par with the best). Viper-corvette war was kind of eqvivalent to Japan's EVO-WRX-STi's constant battle, however corvette started taking factors other than straightline performance more seriously i guess.
The Viper has been the "Make a mistake, and I kill you." kind of car, And i absolutely love them, always had. Here's hoping that where-ever it goes, the owner keeps the snake alive
Amien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 08:52   #8
Default Who'd buy it?

If they're really selling the Viper, I wonder who'd buy it.
I mean, yes, it is a great brand name but imagine the engineering that'd have to go into it to make it suitable for today's times - times of increased attention to mileage and fuel efficiency.

I don't think Bajaj, or any Indian company for that matter, would like to buy it.

ajinkya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 22:20   #9

I don't think Chrysler is selling the Viper, as it's just one of their production models and not a separate "brand" like HUMMER or Saab.

Last time I heard, Chrysler was planning to kill off the Viper in 2010 (I think) in order to meet the strict CAFE requirements for fleet average from 2012 onwards.

I really hope they don't do it since they can always sell Vipers in small numbers and balance out the average by making thrifty entry level cars for their fleet.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote