Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 19:02   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: delhi/calgary
Posts: 286
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
the NNHC as pictured(or portrayed ??) in our auto-mags is surely a stunner from every angle..its now got the much appreciated sporty look of the elder civic. Plus, a new set of great honda engines, this time no silly 77bhp. :-P
This is good as many people (including me) turned away from honda showrooms to Maruti ones, and chose the SX4, which scored better than the NHC in these two deptts.
Honda is known to come back if beaten once and destroy the competition as in case of sonata when its First gen Accord was beaten , I remember Mr BVR Subu then President of Hyundai motors said that i promised to outsell Honda Accord 1:2 but infact we have sold 3 to 4 sonata's For Evey Accord Sold ,and what happened After that Honda came with the 2003 Accord And virtually Finished The sonata Brand name from India , I guess accord sold 10 cars for every sonata sold ,Elantra was never a competition to civic in India ,And this time its was a Big car from a small car maker which gave some tough times to Honda city for being a sheer value and that is SX4
which Also snatched the no 1 title from honda city for many months

So i guess Honda will come back with everything in there power to Be clear leader in the segment They would at least want to out sell SX4 plus all other petrol models combined in this segment Now we have to wait and see if they can do it ,Looks little tough to me but not impossible for Honda
rubin2006 is offline  
Old 4th September 2008, 19:23   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
Honda is known to come back if beaten once and destroy the competition as in case of sonata when its First gen Accord was beaten , I remember Mr BVR Subu then President of Hyundai motors said that i promised to outsell Honda Accord 1:2 but infact we have sold 3 to 4 sonata's For Evey Accord Sold ,and what happened After that Honda came with the 2003 Accord And virtually Finished The sonata Brand name from India , I guess accord sold 10 cars for every sonata sold ,Elantra was never a competition to civic in India ,And this time its was a Big car from a small car maker which gave some tough times to Honda city for being a sheer value and that is SX4
which Also snatched the no 1 title from honda city for many months

So i guess Honda will come back with everything in there power to Be clear leader in the segment They would at least want to out sell SX4 plus all other petrol models combined in this segment Now we have to wait and see if they can do it ,Looks little tough to me but not impossible for Honda
Factually correct but I seriously doubt Honda does anything with the tiny Indian market in mind. Whatever happens here is a fall out of their global operations.
StarScream is offline  
Old 4th September 2008, 23:22   #18
BHPian
 
METISWHG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Una
Posts: 119
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
Honda is known to come back if beaten once and destroy the competition as in case of sonata when its First gen ....

....So i guess Honda will come back with everything in there power to Be clear leader in the segment They would at least want to out sell SX4 plus all other petrol models combined in this segment Now we have to wait and see if they can do it ,Looks little tough to me but not impossible for Honda
I do think that in many countries Honda lags Toyota..so I am not sure how they get back on Toyota. fortuner outsells CRV in many markets, so is the case with Camry & accord in many markets...Toyota is actually a gold standard in many markets.
As far as the Hyundai example is concerend Japenes and S. Koreans always try to their best to outdo each other, though I am really impressed by a korean brand called Ssangyong Motors
METISWHG is offline  
Old 5th September 2008, 00:45   #19
BHPian
 
agentsmith2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 130
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by METISWHG View Post
I do think that in many countries Honda lags Toyota..so I am not sure how they get back on Toyota. fortuner outsells CRV in many markets, so is the case with Camry & accord in many markets...Toyota is actually a gold standard in many markets.
As far as the Hyundai example is concerend Japenes and S. Koreans always try to their best to outdo each other, though I am really impressed by a korean brand called Ssangyong Motors
Honda is a minnow when compared to Toyota which is the #1 most profitable auto maker and consistently ranks as one of the best companies. Market Cap aside, Toyota is considered better in quality than honda.

As far as Honda City reworks are concerned, Toyota has a competing model [Altis] which beats City in several markets.

And as you rightly said - all Japs hate Korean irrespective.

btw Ssyanyong was earlier a subsidiary of Daewoo - its now owned by a Chinese auto company SAIC [Shanghai Automobiles]
agentsmith2 is offline  
Old 5th September 2008, 14:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default

Note from Mod: Please keep this thread only for the Thailand launch, all NNHC related posts should go to the following thread:

NNHC Thread (SCOOP! All New 3rd Gen Honda City Caught Testing EDIT : Interior pics on Pg. 39)
Technocrat is offline  
Old 5th September 2008, 16:37   #21
BHPian
 
uday.ere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 461
Thanked: 594 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith2 View Post

As far as Honda City reworks are concerned, Toyota has a competing model [Altis] which beats City in several markets.


Toyota has launched the Corolla Altis today, priced between Rs 10.83 lakh and Rs 12.86 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) At these price points it is much lower than the Civic for every comparable model. If the New Honda City top end version is priced at around 10 lacs then it would compete with the Altis entry level model. Need to see Honda's pricing strategy - since this could make or mar the City's future.
uday.ere is offline  
Old 5th September 2008, 20:51   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: delhi/calgary
Posts: 286
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by METISWHG View Post
I do think that in many countries Honda lags Toyota..so I am not sure how they get back on Toyota. fortuner outsells CRV in many markets, so is the case with Camry & accord in many markets...Toyota is actually a gold standard in many markets.
As far as the Hyundai example is concerend Japenes and S. Koreans always try to their best to outdo each other, though I am really impressed by a korean brand called Ssangyong Motors
Dear METISWHG if you read my post again ,i was clearly speaking in india context where even Toyota till now is also being outsold by HONDA Cause more than half of the world is not intrested in Sx4 and Honda City , and 99 % people outside india dont even know who Mr Bvr subu was or what he said

Last edited by rubin2006 : 5th September 2008 at 20:54.
rubin2006 is offline  
Old 8th September 2008, 13:58   #23
BHPian
 
METISWHG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Una
Posts: 119
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
Dear METISWHG if you read my post again ,i was clearly speaking in india context where even Toyota till now is also being outsold by HONDA Cause more than half of the world is not intrested in Sx4 and Honda City , and 99 % people outside india dont even know who Mr Bvr subu was or what he said

Hi Rubin,
looks like u got a bit offended. no offences meant...
of course 99% of people outside India dont knwo Mr BVR Subbu.
on a lighter note.. I am sure, 99% of people within India will also not know Mr BVR Subbu.

But i would say a statement like "Honda is known to come back"... doesnt really hold very true if you are talking one market and in that two car models at max. these are my thoughts...
METISWHG is offline  
Old 9th September 2008, 10:32   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 595
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Launch date should be September 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Very eagerly, I went to the website today to find that the launch is still about a day away from now. Guess we got the math a bit wrong.
CBlazer is offline  
Old 9th September 2008, 10:35   #25
BHPian
 
METISWHG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Una
Posts: 119
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

the launch seems like 10th Sep
also the website says someting in Thai about 12-14th Sep launch at one of the major malls - Siam Paragon
METISWHG is offline  
Old 9th September 2008, 10:56   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,763
Thanked: 89,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Toyota has launched the Corolla Altis today, priced between Rs 10.83 lakh and Rs 12.86 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) At these price points it is much lower than the Civic for every comparable model. If the New Honda City top end version is priced at around 10 lacs then it would compete with the Altis entry level model.
The Corolla undercuts the Civic by about 20 grand, I wouldnt see it as a substantially lower price. On the topic of the top-end City and the base Corolla, their price was within a hair's breadth even with the previous gen Corolla. You can see that phenomena in other segments too : An interesting discussion (Cheapest of the higher or costliest of the lower?)
GTO is offline  
Old 9th September 2008, 11:15   #27
BHPian
 
METISWHG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Una
Posts: 119
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Very eagerly, I went to the website today to find that the launch is still about a day away from now. Guess we got the math a bit wrong.

just checked with the showroom in Thailand. it will be on display from tomorrow afternoon.
METISWHG is offline  
Old 9th September 2008, 12:16   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 258
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

If Honda messes up with the price by putting G3HC for close to 9 to 9.5 lacs, it would mean a disaster. The New Altis 1.8G would seem a steal for money at 11 lacs then.
Hope Honda prices it right and don't charge the earlier hefty premium of their brand image and pathetic service.No doubt Honda cars are good, but they are never VFM.
zoom_vroom is offline  
Old 10th September 2008, 11:30   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

1st news item regarding the All New City!

2009 Honda City officially unveiled in Thailand!
Fountainheader is offline  
Old 10th September 2008, 13:34   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 258
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Check this Link guys
Honda Worldwide | September 10, 2008 "Honda Begins Sales of All-New CITY in Thailand"

Last edited by zoom_vroom : 10th September 2008 at 13:35. Reason: Incorrect link
zoom_vroom is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Thailand Chronicles: 7 day road-trip to North Thailand royalcruiser Travelogues 10 5th August 2016 19:40
Countdown to new Xylo 'Happy legs' TV ad.. Will they launch a new Xylo? Finject The Indian Car Scene 19 19th May 2010 18:28
honda city v-tec plus (june 2008 launch) or new honda city (Oct 2008 launch)? nnandi Sedans 16 28th October 2008 17:03
"NITROUS" Cochin Motor Show this September 5th-9th Team_Godspeed Shifting gears 17 30th August 2008 12:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks