Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 8th June 2004, 16:31   #1
BHPian

Talking

I had to type the article up from a mag, so excuse the typos. (Couldn't find the article online, otherwise would've provided a link to it. Most of us Love the M3, so I thought ya'll would be interested).

Automobile July 2004 wrote:
The next generation BMW 3-series doesn't arrive until fall 2005; we'll likely have to wait an additional year for the next M3, which will be called the M3 and not the M4, as reported in May. BMW had intended to introduce a new model-naming system, wherein 2-series and 4-series would have designated the coupe and the convertible versions of the 1-series and the 3-series, respectively, while only sedans would have odd-numbered names, but the company recently ditched that plan, probably because the M3 moniker has too much market equity.

The current M3's in-line six will give way to a 400-horsepower, 4.0-liter V-8 and, in a stripped, racetrack-ready CSL version, a 440-horsepower, 4.4-liter unit. This lineup will dovetail nicely with the M5/M6's 500-horsepower, 5.0-liter V-10 and 550-horsepower, 5.5-liter V-10 (for the M6 CSL). The M3's V-8 will weigh no more than the outgoing six. Fewer moving parts, substantially reduced friction, and a lightweight valvetrain will create superfast throttle response and an unparalleled willingness to rev. Special features include an even quicker double-VANOS camshaft-adjustment device, one instant-on throttle blade per cylinder, and an even more refined, g-force-defying lubrication system.
Pferdestärke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 18:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

So bmw will again follow merc's footsteps of a V8?

And dude wasnt the naming stuff like 2 etc. only for the 1 series?
I thought M4 wud be a diff car alltogether and have nothing to do with M3?
put up the pics frm the mag dude
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 18:53   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] 400-horsepower, 4.0-liter V-8 and, in a stripped, racetrack-ready CSL version, a 440-horsepower, 4.4-liter unit.
My mouths watering already. Plus the fact that the M3 is here to stay. W-H-E-W!

Good find

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 21:04   #4
BHPian

No S350L, No pics, its just an article.. as it says the car wont arrive until Fall 2005.. But I am sure when it comes, it'll kick some Merc Butt, even though it's followed merc's Foots.. ( okay i've gone too far maybe) I'll leave the rest upto Revv to say it..
Old 9th June 2004, 01:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

No ways will the next 3 be able to kick the next C's butt,
Current 3 is the only car that has the capacity to beat the current C,
But the C recently facelifted has had a massive response so lets see the next quarter,
And besides the next 3 will be bangalized
Old 9th June 2004, 02:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bangalized in design yes.

Bangalized in engineering... no ways. And S350 its Merc who follows the BMWs footsteps with regards to performance cars like the M. The E46 M3 was the benchmark for the rest of the smaller exec performance cars. And its not just straight line speed. Handling wise, braking, turning in, feel, driving position, gears... everything.

400 bhp... slurp.... Sounds pretty darn yumm. Expect 0-100 timing of around 4.5 seconds and a de-limited top speed of around 185mph.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 13:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey s350, agreed that you are a big MB fan, and i am too, till the extent of the Gullwing of course. but aren't you being a tad too optimistic?the ordinary BMWs set benchmarks when it comes to driving dynamics for every other car in the segment, and the M cars set benchmarks when it comes to performance cars, holding their own to many a more expensive. the AMG cars, though powerful, aren't as rewarding to drive or as fast as a M car around a track. though AMG cars are very fast in the straight line.

coming back to the topic. wow 400 bhp in a M3 and a V8, reminds me of something Hartge did sometime back. they also shoved the M3s inline 6 in the 3-series compact. time to dig up old videos.
but i probably will miss the hallowed inline-6. but, bring it on.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 14:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

P_H,
The AMG cars can atchually beat a M car around the track too if you equip it with the nurbering suspension,
Also if you remember an old test between C32AMG v/s M3, The C won, For it's sheer driving pleasure and at the same time a more practical car,

Yes Revv,
BMW was first in the market, But thats all, AMG is catching up soon man wont be long enough before AMG's out sell the M's just like the S outsells the 7 and the E outsells the 5!

Ive said it before that at this point of time the M cars are better at handling, But The E class might just soon get ABC, Then you can say bye bye to the M's!
Old 9th June 2004, 15:50   #9
Sam
BHPian

this is the only ppicture I have of the 4 series or rather the now new 3 series conv. And S350L which test are u talking about where the C32 beat the M3. there have been many who have done this test and on most occasions the M3 is the winner.
U always hear the merceds floks saying " and now for the M3 beater the C32 or C36" but u dont hear BMW go "and now to beat the C32 we have the new M3" And u clearly said if the C class had a different suspension it wud beat the M3 on the track. Why wud u need to shell out money on modifications when u can get something which was designed for the track already. The M3 is clearly as JC says " the benchmark of performance cars. I wud never buy a 4 door MB or audi over a M3. If i were to buy a 4 door perfromer it wud be a Subaru. No offence intended.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 15:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

yeah i did read that comparison, and frankly i was a little surprised, because they said that the M3 had lacked steering feel. not once do i remember reading that somewhere, in any article. a lot depends on the guys who road tests the cars, and sometimes i've read so much BS, it irks me to no end. especially when it comes to Porsches, but thats another story, for another day.
maybe i am a little biased, because BMWs are my second love, no prizes for guessing which one is my first.
but for me a car is about perfect balance, and the Ms set the benchmark for that. the M cars have a massive history behind them and i respect them for that. AMGs well i dont doubt their engineering capabilities at all or their form in the DTM series, shoving big engines under the hood doesn't always help. of course differs from person to person, but i think i have rambled on enough. no offence to anybody.
i think i need to lay off coffee for a while.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 16:13   #11
Sam
BHPian

more pics

Then there are the scary @$$ versions of the Z4

My Fav!!!
Old 9th June 2004, 16:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sam infact tis' been the other way round where in a lot of times the M was beaten,
Anyways now we have a C55, which has better looks, A little tweaked suspension etc, So lets wait for a test,
Like ive said at other places openly that rite now M is a little ahead in handling issues, But if the E gets ABC, M can go eat some peanuts,
Also i can predict this without hesitattion The M6 Will not be close to the CL/SL/55 Amg's! And for the SL i mean the handling too!

And like we're all biased towards are brands,
And again no offence like P_H mentioned,
Old 9th June 2004, 16:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics sam i guess u put em while i was typing the stuff above,

BTW in one pic it says NEW ANSWER TO 911? Were the magazine guys smoking crack?
Old 9th June 2004, 16:19   #14
Sam
BHPian

Non taken
But have u seen the new M3... its the little blue car at the end of the stack. This is one babe. C55 or no this is a looker.
Old 9th June 2004, 16:22   #15
BHPian

Hey Sam, awesome pic.. (again) .. I dont know about anybody else, but to me.. That car looks "WOW" .. who wants it unbangalized now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]a lot depends on the guys who road tests the cars
I absolutely agree with that. 1 of the latest TopGear review was the Evo8 FQ320 Vs the WR1, where the Evo8 smashed WR1 by 3.5 seconds.. round their track. And if you see the video, Stig has hammered both these cars and WR1 is louder than any other car that has been on that track (loud in tyre noise that is). You could literally see the front bumper touching the ground when it was being pushed hard on a corner.. But when the best motoring guys did a test of these 2 cars, I think it was Gan-San who was in the WR1, and in that he managed to squash the Evo8 completely, fair and square... So there it goes (1 or 2 reviews wont make a C32 faster than the M3. And if you are talking about the racing suspensions and stuff on the C32, then u should put it against the CSL..
Though I respect AMG too much, but I'd rather have an S4 over C32 and an RS6 over E55..