Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th September 2008, 16:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda Fit gets punture repair kit as Standard equipment

Starting 2009, Honda is giving Temproray Repair Kit (TRK) as standard on all AT equipped Honda Fit's in North America.

TRK will consist of a container of sealer, a 12-volt compressor with pressure gauge, an extraction hose, extraction bottle and a guide book.

Why Honda is doing this?

Quote:
Honda's reason for including the Temporary Repair Kit in the Honda Fit with automatic transmission is to improve the fuel economy of the vehicle. Automatic transmissions are heavier than manual transmissions but the TRK weighs less than a spare tire, so keeping car weight down makes the fuel economy of the automatic as good as the standard.
So, will the Indian Honda Jazz get the TRK?

Source: Canadian Driver.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 19:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That's got to be the silliest statement I have heard in a long time, and God bless those who fall for it. A lighter tyre repair kit will enhance fuel economy, what next....no stereo? How about a lighter first aid kit and removing the airbags & ABS systems.

They conveniently forgot to mention that a TRK is cheaper than a spare wheel.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 19:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

fit is known for utilizing the space in most innovatvie ways, just look at it's ads.

fuel tank under the seat, foldaway single rear seat.....this may be just another way to improve cargo space here.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 19:44   #4
BHPian

My Elise has a can of fix-a-flat as standard equipment. Its a highly compressed CO2 infused rubbery goop. If you have a puncture, you screw the hose onto the tire valve and pull the trigger, which blasts the rubber solution into the tyre at high pressure, the idea being that the goop will seal the hole and the pressure will inflate it.

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Whats confusing to me in this case is that only the AT gets the TRK while the MT gets a spare. this is very wierd. IF they are so obsessed with weight, then they should have fitted the TRK to the MT as well and given it that slight advantage as well.

My guess is, they have studies showing that AT buyers tend to call emergency services (tow truck) while MT buyers tend to change their own tyre. I can tell you that perhaps 80% of the time that i have seen a car stopped by the side of the road with a flat, the occupants are just hanging around, presumably waiting for assistance, unless somebody else has stopped to help.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 02:27   #5
BHPian

Can't you buy them at Walmart and Canadian Tire for like 50 bucks a pop?

Canadian Tire

What's so special about including them as standard equipment?

And why is there a new thread for this?
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 03:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Can't you buy them at Walmart and Canadian Tire for like 50 bucks a pop?

Canadian Tire

What's so special about including them as standard equipment?

And why is there a new thread for this?
They are including this as standard equipment but are not giving the spare tyre anymore.

Poor man's run flat tyre I would say.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 10:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's got to be the silliest statement I have heard in a long time, and God bless those who fall for it. A lighter tyre repair kit will enhance fuel economy, what next....no stereo? How about a lighter first aid kit and removing the airbags & ABS systems.

They conveniently forgot to mention that a TRK is cheaper than a spare wheel.

just remove those four wheels as well and put in cycle wheels and tyres, that reduces the weight further(drastically in their terminology - 4 times than what they achieved in this new feature)
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 20:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The probably took out the jack and the jack rod. More weight savings. Many European cars are doing this. No spare, no runflat..just the kit.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote