Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th January 2009, 02:13   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
I think you are jealous that you can't VIP your Miata.

You also have "Ultra lightweight Toyo T1S 195/45-14 tyres " to make your Miata go fast with that wheezy 116 Bhp engine.
did I say the tyres are to make it go fast?

You obviously know nothing of the pleasures of very low unsprung weight.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 02:32   #17
BHPian

These cars are so overly done up. But once in a way its nice to see something like this.

Please pardon my ignorance. The wheels of the car in the first pic are slant. Are they always like that or its only for display?

I had seen similar things in a mail I had received wherein the wheels were slant and was wondering if thats how they are supposed to be.
swift8847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 00:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
These cars are so overly done up. But once in a way its nice to see something like this.

Please pardon my ignorance. The wheels of the car in the first pic are slant. Are they always like that or its only for display?

I had seen similar things in a mail I had received wherein the wheels were slant and was wondering if thats how they are supposed to be.
No they are not supposed to be slanted like that, these cars are running on air bags and when they are parked the cars are lowered, the wheels then slant like that. Although the wheels are a bit slanted even when the car is raised but not a whole lot.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 01:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Oohhh thats on my next Whishlist,when i park my car the chassis go down and the wheels tilt inwards,but will be doing on 195/50R15 for mumbai roads nice find!!!
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 10:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

i should say pic 2 lexus equivalent of the land cruiser looks BLING!! love only dat one nothin else
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 11:38   #21
BHPian

I think they look nice.

No, i don't do drugs.
Nitronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 14:44   #22
BHPian

Nah! give a nicely maintained black W124 anyday.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 18:32   #23
BHPian

Yo dawg, kewl rides man! Ma ride's gonna get low with those rims and da airbags. And the freakin' awesome woofaas in da trunk are kinda kewl man!

VIP cars represent a totally tangential automotive culture where the only aim is to show off. Handling, performance and component life is least of their concerns. Impractical but looks 'kewl' if you have the money to splurge. Perfectly goes with the gangster rapper image.

As they say, to each his own.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 18:52   #24
BHPian

Does anyone know any celebrity driving one of these?
lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 19:27   #25
BHPian

Switch to VH1. Nearly every rapper worth his name's got rims the size of moons
Nitronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 20:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people are associating these VIP style cars with rappers. Yes, they do look very similar to blinged out phatmobiles from the Western ends of our world - but how often do you find a Toyota Celsior or Nissan President being driven by a rapper? The whole idea behind these are to switch over from the German royalty that gets you in trouble in Tokyo, but travel in something still as eye-catching but not AS ostentatious. This allows the Yakuza to travel in something a bit more discreet in terms of brand value, though still equally luxurious and impractical at times

I've lived in Tokyo, and I know exactly how obvious it is when you come across a German import with tinted windows. They scream Yakuza, and everyone knows that. This is a silly but practical alternative.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 00:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan View Post
A lot of people are associating these VIP style cars with rappers. Yes, they do look very similar to blinged out phatmobiles from the Western ends of our world - but how often do you find a Toyota Celsior or Nissan President being driven by a rapper? The whole idea behind these are to switch over from the German royalty that gets you in trouble in Tokyo, but travel in something still as eye-catching but not AS ostentatious. This allows the Yakuza to travel in something a bit more discreet in terms of brand value, though still equally luxurious and impractical at times

I've lived in Tokyo, and I know exactly how obvious it is when you come across a German import with tinted windows. They scream Yakuza, and everyone knows that. This is a silly but practical alternative.

But why would the Yakuza, or anyone else for that matter, want such bling-bling wheels? And such a low ride?

I really don't understand which segment these car owners belong to. They're way too impractical (and cheesy) for businessmen, too sedan-ish for youngsters....They're meant for people who are rich enough to afford a chauffeur, young enough to want to modify it, old enough to not want to drive and ostentatious enough to like those wheels. And the only people who satisfy on all counts are...........rappers. .
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 01:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

i think our own taxiwallahs have made their own version
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 03:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
But why would the Yakuza, or anyone else for that matter, want such bling-bling wheels? And such a low ride?

I really don't understand which segment these car owners belong to. They're way too impractical (and cheesy) for businessmen, too sedan-ish for youngsters....They're meant for people who are rich enough to afford a chauffeur, young enough to want to modify it, old enough to not want to drive and ostentatious enough to like those wheels. And the only people who satisfy on all counts are...........rappers. .
Haha, well put. Well, there is a large tendency in the East (namely Japan) to also mimic the West...in terms of fashion, style, etc. I guess some of them do enjoy this. I'd love for a new surfacing of Japanese Yakuza rap to hit the charts. That'd be far too awesome.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 03:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan View Post
Haha, well put. Well, there is a large tendency in the East (namely Japan) to also mimic the West...in terms of fashion, style, etc. I guess some of them do enjoy this. I'd love for a new surfacing of Japanese Yakuza rap to hit the charts. That'd be far too awesome.
I'd be surprised if it hasn't already, seeing as half of American rappers are gangsters themselves.

Jokes aside, I am actually quite serious. Which segment are these cars aimed at?
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote