Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 28th September 2008, 01:16   #16
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
We wouldn't mind some pictures of those too!!
I'll do my best, but not sure I can slip that by my wife..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wow! Talk about a lucky day!

Thats quite a nice looking specimen too -- but c'mon HPP! you gotta give us some slightly more detailed feedback on the whole driving experience!

cya
R
Hmm, OK, well, for the most part I didn't do a lot of hard accelerating from a dead stop because I didn't want any chance of wheel spin or losing control. As this was my first time driving it, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I took it easy from being dead stopped, but once rolling a decent speed.. floored it. One thing I noticed was that the rpm's/speed came on very quick in 1st and second and caught me a bit off guard(hit rev limit a couple times). Those gears seem a little too short, but I'm guessing they did this because of the weight of the car and needed the gearing to get it going(plus they have seven gears to spread the ratio's over).

Other then that, there were a lot of highway pulls through 3rd and 4th(and slightly into 5th) gear which were pretty fun. The issue I was having was it was mid day Friday and there were only select times where I had enough space to really let the V10 breath. I also did a few 2nd, 3rd, and 4th runs which were a lot of fun. The car is very composed at all times and I never did get any kind of wheel spin at all(nor traction control). All I can say is it pulls harder then I expected, and I've driven many very high hp cars(this being a low/mid hp car) and this one feels pretty good I must say.

The handling is pretty good, but I expected more. When pushing into a corner you can definitely feel the weight of the car, but I guess with a little more seat time, I'm sure I could modulate understeer/oversteer with my use of the gas pedal(if feels well balanced). At speed(over 90mph) the steering isn't as crisp as I thought it would be, but it is firm at the same time, no squeamish feeling at all.

My cousin was with me and after one particular highway run, we went through a few gears, then I upshifted to bring the rpm's down from the screaming level they were at as well has was on the brakes to come down to a decent level.. He then noted, you know you are still going 100 right? I said Oh sh.. and slowed down to highway speed. I can't imagine owning that car, I'd never know how fast I was going and get a lot of tickets, it's very deceiving.

I hope this was a better writeup, but if you want more specific details, let me know and I'll dig into that a bit more. But after all, this is a public forum and I don't want any random Google searches to get me into trouble.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 01:58   #17
Team-BHP Support

Great.

Thats what i was looking for HPP - a straightforward review from someone who has had the chance to drive other "high-performance" cars (and hence isnt all praises).

Thanks,
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 04:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
Exactly, the car comes alive when you hit the "M" button. I love the active seats, it catches you off guard if you've never felt them before. And yeah, this one is lowered but it still is very comfortable when you want it to be.
Yeah the active seats are great, else one would slip during cornering...Yeah I have driven the E60 a lot in Cali, roads are pretty good there, save the occational pothole [on the freeway when you're doing speeds above the limit ]

Don't know how the scene is in Minnesota, but the E60 has done really well in NoCal, lot's of middle aged and old people buying it...We may actually have a true contender to the Vette as a mid life crisis car
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 03:26   #19
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Yeah the active seats are great, else one would slip during cornering...Yeah I have driven the E60 a lot in Cali, roads are pretty good there, save the occational pothole [on the freeway when you're doing speeds above the limit ]

Don't know how the scene is in Minnesota, but the E60 has done really well in NoCal, lot's of middle aged and old people buying it...We may actually have a true contender to the Vette as a mid life crisis car

Not as many here, still relatively rare. Probably because if you have one, you also have to have a winter car or SUV. So it essentially costs more up here due to needing a second car, where you guys can drive them year round out in Cali.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 12:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Thats a fantastic looking M5. Awesome color and superb choice of alloys. The deep blue shade is just mind blowing. Love those deep dish rims.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote