Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 7th October 2008, 13:21   #16
BHPian

I heard of
a) zero percent interest rate being offered for a 5 yr tenure.
b) Footfalls in car showrooms has drastically come down
c) Credit sales have dipped coz many of the customers are no longer credit worthy. This is the spiralling effect of home loan defaluts by customers.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 11:03   #17
BHPian

Another article about Toyota's current situation. Their profits for this year are gonna drop by 40%, along with the declining sales targets as well.

Report: Toyota profit to fall 40%, will miss estimates - Automotive News
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 13:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Toyota recorded a 32% decrease, the overall US market recorded a 27% fall during the same period.

Free fall?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 14:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Hopefully this will make Toyota take 'emerging markets' like India more seriously and we will get models that are more relevant to this market. At realistic prices, too.
I hope this happens. Honda has done something awesome with the new City. But the problem is - how long before the big spending public gets affected? And will people buy? If my job is not secure I would rather go for the cheaper Tata no?

IMHO, Honda and Toyota missed out big time on India. The latter more than the former. Maybe they can catch up.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 16:14   #20
BHPian

1)Bring back the mid-engined MR2 and the Supra.

2)Make less cars, the ones people actually want. (referring to their people carriers)

3)Current state of things is bad, can't do much.

Last edited by Amien : 10th October 2008 at 16:19.
Amien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 20:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

I tend to believe that this is just an indicator of the bad economy and nothing to do with the individual companies mentioned here.

The absolute numbers (instead of percentage gain or loss) could give an indicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really. GM's blow 'em all away employee pricing did the trick for them. They may have gotten in the sales, but the question is.....how profitable were those sales?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I agree with this.
GM will soon have a painful payback period, after this party!
Exactly, now we know that whatever picture they paint trying to sell a point home (say sub prime mortgage) might not be as rosy as how they make it out to be.

But then, its also a way of market normalisation. People who do bad business might do lucrative business in the short term, its the long haul that will tell the right story.

My wishes with Toyota, Honda and all other Automakers (infact all suppliers) from our continent, you will have your due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
1)Bring back the mid-engined MR2 and the Supra.

2)Make less cars, the ones people actually want. (referring to their people carriers)
If you go to Japan, you will see some of the most interesting vehicles from the same Automakers. The reason why you dont find the models you mentioned is because not many bought them in the first place.

As many as old Camry's, Coroll'a I find on the road, I consider myself lucly on a day I spot an MR2. 90% of the car buying public want a point a to point b transportation with an mp3 player nothing else. Thats a fact we (auto enthusiasts) dont like, but is quite true.

Last edited by 1100D : 10th October 2008 at 20:07.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 20:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really. GM's blow 'em all away employee pricing did the trick for them. They may have gotten in the sales, but the question is.....how profitable were those sales?
Rush,

It looks like, GM, at this moment is not bothered about profitability, they have a bigger problem at hand. SURVIVAL.

Read this.

GM: Bankruptcy Not Option It's Considering - Automotive * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 10th October 2008 at 20:58.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 21:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I tend to believe that this is just an indicator of the bad economy and nothing to do with the individual companies mentioned here.
It is a bit of both i guess. With the economy down and fuel prices having risen, one would have expected the drop in Toyota sales(in % terms ) to be lower simply because it makes more fuel efficient cars.
The 'employee discount for everyone scheme' has been a likely reason for the lower drop in sales for GM
Btw, GM shares have crashed to their lowest in 58 yrs today.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 21:36   #24
BHPian

More fuel to the fire

Global auto market may collapse in 2009: J.D.Power | Reuters

I wonder if these articles/statements actually help things slide even further.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote