Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th November 2008, 08:55   #151
BHPian

I was actually quite surprised at Veyron's lap performance. Despite being heavy, it does have 1001 PS and AWD to come to its rescue.

If that's the case, then the Nissan GT-R (which is also quite heavy in its class) should be nowhere as good as it is.

And keep in mind that the CCX and the Zonda F Roadster are also full fledged luxury hypercars, who also happen to do well on track, without hurting your wallet as much as the Veyron.

@Ironwolf, I get my download links from Finalgear.
They do have a few http links from different file-sharing websites, but usually it's not worth the waits in between the downloads.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 09:06   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityabenz View Post
well before the veyron went around i knew it couldnt beat the gumpert.
that is because gumpert apollo is a complete racer. and for your information the caparo t1 did it in around 1:10:something, it wasnt considered because ??? ( i dont know)
...because the car they tested could not go over speedbumps (which is one of the requirements for being on the board). The production versions are supposed to have adjustable ride height, allowing it to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
I was actually quite surprised at Veyron's lap performance. Despite being heavy, it does have 1001 PS and AWD to come to its rescue.

If that's the case, then the Nissan GT-R (which is also quite heavy in its class) should be nowhere as good as it is.

The GT-R corners at neck breaking speeds (quite literally). I don't think the Veyron is that agile.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 26th November 2008 at 09:09.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 13:47   #153
BHPian

Quote:
that is because gumpert apollo is a complete racer. and for your information the caparo t1 did it in around 1:10:something, it wasnt considered because ??? ( i dont know)
I used to work for Caparo.. the car wasnt considered because it was more of a track car than a road car. You couldnt drive the T1 around London or over speedbumps... The car was bottoming out even around the Bassingstoke ringroad.. Thought Caparo did ask TG if they could have another go, as the road going version would have adjustable suspension (Which was still too low). But anyways the T1 has now run into the ground and they are struglling to sell any. Theres about 5 cars, including one for Angad Paul (Owner of Caparo).

It has also been rumoured that the Ultima GTR800 should be quicker than the T1. The GTR was only 2 seconds shy of the 1:10:6 set by the T1
Samir Taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 05:41   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Its a track car which can not go over a sleeping policeman.They might as well get a formula or a le man car to the track.They will devour anything.Sad about veyron:(.Still it killed the zonda in the drag race.

Last edited by punterccrx8s : 27th November 2008 at 05:42.
punterccrx8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 06:28   #155
BHPian

Slightly off-topic, but I'd like to see the Viper ACR and the Ultimate Aero on the Top Gear track some day.
Old 27th November 2008, 20:51   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

They do have a few http links from different file-sharing websites, but usually it's not worth the waits in between the downloads.
Sujay, dont think that the weight of the GT-R really bogs it down esp with the G forces it produces in every possible direction.

Final Gear leads to Minonova only, which is what I use. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The GT-R corners at neck breaking speeds (quite literally). I don't think the Veyron is that agile.
Hehe ask Clarkson he actually sprained his neck pushing the GT-R around the Japanese Fuji Speedway circuit.

If I had the pisa, this is the car I would put my money on. The car actually moves to some track mode once the GPS finds itself entering a Circuit. Damm thats hot in a car to turn itself on.

I loved that episode and the previous one: GT-R Vs Bullet train.
Captain slow was slow even when he wasnt in the drivers seat.

Long live Top Gear !!
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 06:44   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Sujay, dont think that the weight of the GT-R really bogs it down esp with the G forces it produces in every possible direction.
High G-forces doesn't always mean it's agile. It's mostly due to the wide sticky tires, the suspension setup and the clever electronics. NASCAR cars can produce some pretty high G-forces as well, doesn't mean that they can corner quickly.

If you can shave off about 400 pounds from the GT-R, imagine how much better it'll get.
The same goes for the Veyron as well.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 28th November 2008 at 06:46.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:16   #158
BHPian

Quote:
High G-forces doesn't always mean it's agile. It's mostly due to the wide sticky tires, the suspension setup and the clever electronics. NASCAR cars can produce some pretty high G-forces as well, doesn't mean that they can corner quickly.

If you can shave off about 400 pounds from the GT-R, imagine how much better it'll get.
There's a big difference in the priorities of the two cars, the GT-R is set up to corner as fast as possible and therefore corners viciously without compromise. The Veyron is supposed to be poised and elegant all the time, and it is. The objective always was to be able to do it's top speed in comfort and stability.

You've got it right, it's down to the sophisticated AWD and the electronics/differentials. As far as tires are concerned, that is one place where the car is lagging a bit, the dunlops are better than the potenzas however still not as sticky as the michelin cups that come with 911 turbos/GT2's. Nissan is thinking of a new compound tire upgrade soon, that should help it shave off a couple of seconds. As for the weight, the V-Spec should be out by the end of January, less weight, more power .

Imagine a fusion of the Veyron and the GT-R, the Veyron's power(and top speed/acceleration) plus the GT-R's cornering ability, an active hydraulic wing, the Veyron's interior..
Amien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 11:17   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
They might as well get a formula or a le man car to the track.
The had brought the Renault F1 car some time back and it did 59 seconds on the track

Link to video - >
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 12:42   #160
BANNED

That was the Stig's Birthday present if i remember correctly..
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 21:27   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
High G-forces doesn't always mean it's agile. - I agree. However Humbly Disagree that the GT-R is not agile. IMO. You and I have not driven it but, going by videos and reports I think its one of me meanest cars around a corner. Again IMHO and backed by something like this -
Nürburgring lap times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stock GT-R with stock tires. in the league of cars which are far more expensive, exotic and which boast of high top speeds.

Quote:
I think they have done enough and more shaving for weight keeping in mind build quality and safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Humm so going by your earlier hint, it was your birthday on that gloomy day? Belated Happy birthday. Sti.. ahem - Cyrus!
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 21:43   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And keep in mind that the CCX and the Zonda F Roadster are also full fledged luxury hypercars, who also happen to do well on track, without hurting your wallet as much as the Veyron.

Well the Veyron is a Luxury GT car rather than an out an out sports car like the Zonda and the CCX.
Besides looking at that video, I felt Stig didnt pushed the Veyron enough.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 22:14   #163
BANNED

Quote:

Humm so going by your earlier hint, it was your birthday on that gloomy day? Belated Happy birthday. Sti.. ahem - Cyrus!
HEHE!!...Thank you Thank You. Anywyas, Has anyone caught Jeremy Clarkson's Thriller?? Its Super Cool!!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 05:32   #164
BHPian

Quote:

I think they have done enough and more shaving for weight keeping in mind build quality and safety.
Curb Weights:
  • Nissan GT-R - 3800 lbs (without side airbags)
  • Corvette ZR1 - 3324 lbs
  • Porsche 911 GT2 - 3175 lbs
  • Viper SRT-10 ACR - 3408 lbs
See what I mean?

Despite being heavy, the GT-R is still in the same league as these cars, and that's why I admire Nissan. But that doesn't mean that they cannot make it any lighter and nimbler.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 29th November 2008 at 05:37.
Old 29th November 2008, 14:48   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
It was his birthday and Xmas present together.
michael schume is offline   Reply With Quote