Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 22nd October 2008, 22:27   #16
BHPian

i think this thread should perhaps feature in the international car scene forum.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:16   #17
BHPian

if at all they DO chooce to market it in indua, take heart in the fact that it will be cheapest in india, being manufactured here in chennai

but seriously. 200 bhp, 8 lacs,?? God himself is going to rubbish it on this thread
Nitronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:21   #18
BHPian

Sounds fantastic and even if this doesnt succeeds but atleast hyundai will start a new segmant of hot hatches.So hyundai bring it on.
ahuja365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:10   #19
BHPian

I dont think they will introduce the car at 8 lakhs if they have any plans to do so. And moreover for the 8 lakhs we are getting a 200bhp engine, 17" wheels. dont think the price will be anywhere near that.

For such a car they wont be expecting huge sales, so it will be for selected customers at a higher price like the overpriced bravo
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai in India has always gone wrong with its pricing. This is why the Getz petrol could never maximize its sales potential also. I doubt whether your dream of 200 bhp ~INR 800k will be fulfilled!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Hyundai is to launch GTi version of the i20, A DIESEL POWERED ONE

Considering half our threads are based on rumors and speculation heres another (albeit pretty convincing) one, Hyundai has plans to launch a hot version of the i20. Now these reports are of Autocar UK whos usually made convincing predictions. It makes sense as well cos the hyundai brand is pretty competitive in the 5 - 15 k range, but they still dont have a hot hatch in that slot. Other than the Coupe (valu but not exactly a affordable sporty hatch) they dont have many sporty options in their range. The details available so far are

- powered by 1.6 ltr. Diesel
- around 200 bhp
- 0 - 60mph in sub 8.0 secs
- 17" wheels, bigger brakes, body kit

Now considering tht the India will be i20s mother base and the UK is a right hand drive market,
and if theres a God out there, an 8 lac, 200 bhp, Diesel sipping GTi will hit our roads, Ppppleaasseee

Oh yeah, for all those who think Im high heres the link

Autocar - Hyundai i20 'GTi' on the way?
In reality it will be more like half the bhp or double the money!
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:34   #22
BHPian

I think the only hot-hatch version that we can expect is the 1.5 Crdi making it into the i20 - selling for around 6.5 that won't make a bad buy at all!

OT: @asr - I had a 'lude too - 93, black, Si!
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:44   #23
BHPian

& then there's the biggest problem of Resale. The getz always took a huge beating in this dept. The CRDI albeit difficult to find also loses a significant amount of money, unlike the Santor or now the i10.
Even if they put the price @8 L, its only going to attract the seriously enthusiastic crowd. Even a person like me would think of the huge variety of options of available. Lastly how many of us would like to settle with a Hatch Back for that price? 200 HP is also a big question mark for the Indian market, especially considering that the avg speed on Indian roads is surely in the single digit.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:20   #24
BHPian

Well, lets wait to see how good the 1.6 is. In the meantime, here's the first drive report of the 1.4 Crdi!!! Check out the pics too!

Hyundai i20 1.4 CRDi - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

If Hyundai is ever bringing out this car, one thing is for sure, It will be made in India especially since this car will be RHD.

As far as the pricing goes the UK cars that are supplied from India(Amica/Santro, i10) are priced 18-20% higher. So taking the 14,000 benchmark for hot hatches (refer report) the price we're looking at in India (minus the UK mark up) is approx Rs.9.1 lacs.

Now there are two ways to look at this
1) Laugh at the fact Hyundai is trying to sell a 9 lac hatch and go for a top end City, fully kitted or maybe an SX4 and save the change.

2) Forget the badge and the boot and just think of the engine (forget the rumored 200 bhp, imagine the botoom end torque this will churn out) and the fact this is a GTi, i.e a purpose built suspension, brakes and kit. Also not to forget we're talking about a diesel car here.

This car is pretty much coming and there are other sites confirming that a Fabia vRS rivalling i20 is on the way. Hyundai is also testing the three door version, heres the link

Hyundai i20 3-door spy photos

Wether they will launch this in India remains to be seen. but I dont see why not, it will be made here anyways, the fact that a sporting version exists (I mean real sport, not do the alloys/spoiler thing like the Cedia/Civic and call it sport) will do wonders for the i20s image. Pricing isnt Hyundai's strong point anymore, but that did'nt stop the i10 from selling in droves.

Cmon Hyundai, be game.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Cant be termed as proper review as they dont have the data for major things. 89 bhp is a point to consider and 12000 pounds means around 9.5-10 lac bracket as per INR so kinda expensive i guess.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 12:05   #27
BHPian

Indian Janta is known for their best and biggest ques. "MILEAGE KITNA HAI?" i.e "How much is the mileage".

lol guys do you think our taxes and this ques can make this car a successful car in india?

A BIG NO.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 13:24   #28
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
lol guys do you think our taxes and this ques can make this car a successful car in india?
Even if expected to be launched, would not be a car meant to be successful in number terms.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 13:35   #29
BHPian

Damn sure - Hyundai wont launch with 1.6l diesel engine. Who will buy a hatch for 7-8 lakhs.
For me, power is waste :( - atleast in Bangalore. You can use it only once in a while.

Hyundai should consider launching diesel engine what Maruti/Tata/Fiat has done.
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 13:54   #30
RGP
BHPian

Another way of looking at this....
Hyundai took the trouble of selling and sustaining an Auto transmission Santro for all these years even though it was not setting the sales charts afire. If Hyundai feels that this it is sustainable, they are probably more likely than other (mass-market) cos to offer niche products.
RGP is offline   Reply With Quote