Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 3rd June 2009, 12:11   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
GM India is facing difficulty raising funds for it's Talegaon plant - The Hindu Business Line : GM India stutters to find funds for Talegaon engine plant
This should shut up all the bravado. Daewoo deja vu.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:53   #197
BHPian

Ironic because GM basically sells re-badged Daewoo cars in India
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:47   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeet View Post
GM symbolized the American arrogance and now just like the country its getting what its asked for.

Too bad really the one car that they truly succeeded was the new camaro.
Man thats a hot car.
All automakers are sharing the same downturn in sales, not just GM - that includes Nissan, Toyota, and Honda. Remember that Japanese automakers are subsidized by their government, the US-GM bailout is a new thing for us, and most American conservatives are not really pleased with it, though we also do not want to see GM go out of business. It's a very complicated issue with no simple solution, but I'll say that GM's cars represent, in my opinion, some of the highest technology and innovation in the world.
Vert1go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 16:54   #199
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by santsharan View Post
Would this mean no effect on Sales & Service from GM side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
GM is running an online campaign in India to reassure Indian customers - GM India Confidence
How true is it? GM india is insulated from Current GM happenings. I am looking for a expert insight of impact on GM india especially from point of view of their existence in india, impact on credibility and thereby impact on sales, future of existing customers. Also , customers stand as far as new buying is concerned.

Not to mention, FAQ on their site will mention all "Sweet Sweet" talks.
idea1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 00:41   #200
Senior - BHPian

If i remember from GM's Opel demise. They promised to provide spares and service for 7 years. Plus with so many dealers and an average product line-up, they should survive.

Please note that GM is not going down. It's the ownership going to the government. And with an excellent product line-up which they should have had 2 years ago, they are ready to hit back.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 02:16   #201
Senior - BHPian

Plain and simple- close as many dealerships as possible;start with zero debt; and GM is back on track with their sales.
Lots of plants will be shut down for now, and reopened when things improve.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 08:52   #202
BHPian

Selling and closing down the numerous brands will also help. Half their products were indistinguishable and competing with themselves.
equinox22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 20:17   #203
Senior - BHPian

and I bet Pontiac is coming back in the next 5-6 years.
Old 4th June 2009, 21:54   #204
Senior - BHPian

As of now, Pontiac is supposed to have been shelved for life. Never gonna hit the roads again,atleast thats what's been claimed.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 02:54   #205
BHPian

Pontiac will come back, I'm sure of it. When GM killed the Camaro in 2002, they said the same thing. I'm betting it will make a return in a few years, though with less cars in the lineup.
Vert1go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 04:27   #206
Senior - BHPian

The would have sold it if there were no intentions of bringing it back. A dealer and 2 strategic investors had already sent offers to buy but GM rejected.
Old 5th June 2009, 06:53   #207
BHPian

GM doesn't deserve this. They still have pretty good cars. It all depends on their strategy from now to revive.
raveen_2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 09:33   #208
SLK
Senior - BHPian

It is quite possible that the US government will use GM to bring a green revolution in the auto industry. That way GM will revive and the Government does its part for the environment.

Irony about Govts. They take tax from you and with that tax money they buy you out !
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 11:29   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveen_2023 View Post
GM doesn't deserve this. They still have pretty good cars. It all depends on their strategy from now to revive.
Yep, they may still have some really good cars, but ultimately how the company comes out the mess depends on the management and the leaders at the helm. They were the ones who are at least partly responsible for this debacle in the first place. GM is a very large company, with lots of brands. It's not going to be an easy task. I think it might just turn out to be like our Indian PSUs. Only difference being- some of the PSUs are doing well (never mind their poor histories). It will be at least a decade, maybe two, before we know for certain whether the new GM will be a "good" company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
It is quite possible that the US government will use GM to bring a green revolution in the auto industry. That way GM will revive and the Government does its part for the environment.
IMHO, possibility of a green revolution in the auto industry is unlikely. The simple reason being the strong automakers' lobby (and the related industries as well). For the industry, going green requires a complete overhaul, which means lots of money.

While being green and environment-friendly is certainly a good thing, most companies just provide mere lip service to this idea. The strong lobby is the reason why American lacks a good rail system, but has fantastic highways. I'm afraid the green lobby is not as powerful yet.

My two paisa.
cargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 11:56   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

I have my doubts. To repeat from old Maggie,"The Government has to business to be in business". With various interst groups, and hobby horses they will end up with a bigger mess at th end of the day. I will add that as regulators they must be there but not as owners.

Remember, God needed a new animal. He appointed a committee, what came out - A CAMEL.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote